View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

1st question of the season

Glad to be back for another season and am looking forward to speaking with you all again.

Had this one happen this weekend:

B1 hits a dribbler down the 1st base line that stays in fair territory. Pitcher moves to field ball and does so while standing in fair territory (I know it doesn't matter where he fields it in terms of fair/foul, it's where the ball is, but wanted you to know the position for the question). The BR slows up to avoid a collision that doesn't occur, then continues to run to 1st. Pitcher fields ball then throws to 1st for an apparent out.

HP umpire signals out (not sure why as it was the base umpire's call I think), but then the base umpire calls the HP umpire over, they confer, and rule that the BR is safe due to being obstructed by the pitcher.

According to OBR (we play USSSA) OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. The pitcher was fielding the ball and had not missed it so Comment to this definition doesn't apply, I think.

Further, USSSA states in Rule 8.07.J.12 Comment: When a catcher and batter-runner going to first (1st) base have contact when the catcher is fielding the ball, there is generally no violation and nothing should be called. “Obstruction” by a fielder attempting to field a ball should be called only in very flagrant and violent cases because the rules give him the right of way, but of course such “right of way” is not a license to, for example, intentionally trip a runner even though fielding the ball. If the catcher is fielding the ball and the first baseman or pitcher obstructs a runner, going to first (1st) base "obstruction” shall be called and the base runner awarded first (1st) base. Substitute "pitcher" for "catcher" in the above comment and you have our situation. No contact was made between pitcher and BR, however, so I'm having a hard time understanding an obstruction call.

Any help you can provide in clearing this up would be appreciated.

Last edited by Rufus; Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 02:25pm.