The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Catchers' are not held to the same standard as other defensive players. Unless they are clearly abusing the privilege, they get time pretty much whenever they ask.
But I still won't grant time, even to a catcher, if I feel the only reason for the request is to avoid having a fielder throw the ball away, possibly allowing runners to advance. I guess that would be the "abusing the privilege" part.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Let me ask you this, are you the umpire or are you the 10th defensive player for both teams?

I'm not working for the offense either. They always want time after they slide. Hey, stand up and dust yourself off and don't get put out while doing it. What's so hard about that?
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:02pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
Hey, stand up and dust yourself off and don't get put out while doing it. What's so hard about that?
Gosh, that's a great example too...I forget to bring that up. Brush yourself off on the base...let's play ball.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 03:32am

I disagree. The runner, unlike the infielder who is chicken sh*t to throw the ball to his pitcher, has actually accomplished something, not just stood around with his thumb up his butt. He has slid hard into a base, and may need some time to compose himself and dust himself off. I have no problem granting Time to such a base runner. And often there is a fielder holding him down with the tag in hopes that his tootsie will come off the base for a cheap out that the defense didn't earn the first time by actually retiring the runner. OTOH, if the runner for example has just advanced to second base on a walk and asks for Time, I am going to ask why, and I would be unlikely to grant it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 04:49am
In Time Out

Why would an infielder be scared to throw the ball back to the pitcher? They field it and throw to a base.

What's the difference if he throws the ball to the pitcher and then calls time and runs to the mound? Do you not grant time then?

It makes me wonder why a few seconds are so precious. Makes me think you don't want to be there in the first place. Games vary, so what. I'll bet some will crap their pants if the game goes extra innings.

I have never had a problem with excessive timeouts. When they start playing with a clock and giving each team a certain amount of timeouts, then I will worry more about it.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 01:47pm.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

It makes me wonder why a few seconds are so precious. Makes me think you don't want to be there in the first place. Games vary, so what. I'll bet some will crap their pants if the game goes extra innings.

I have never had a problem with excessive timeouts. When they start playing with a clock and giving each team a certain amount of timeouts, then I will worry more about it.
I believe you're all alone on this one. Pace of play is frequently a point of emphasis for all levels high school and above. NCAA and FED have repeatedly maintained that delays in game action are distractions from what is an enjoyable and exciting game to watch. Professional baseball is no different.

We are constantly directed to improve pace of play by enforcing rules already in the books regarding time limits on delivering a pitch, not allowing a batter to repeatedly step out of the box, managing offensive and defensive conferences, reducing the time taken for pitching changes and the BS between innings.

Those "precious seconds" add up. Not only do they detract from the enjoyment of the game, they can adversely affect the outcome. How many times have you terminated a close game due to darkness before playing the full number of innings?

Improving pace of play has nothing to do with getting out of there as quickly as possible. It has everything to do with replacing BS with baseball, and I'm all for that.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Harrumpff!
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 12:03pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
If you should happen on a reflective fielder, who answers Tee's question with, "because he might run," you can reply:
"Don't you want to be able to throw him out?"

I know I want him to.

MB:

I like that one. May MTD, Jr., and I steal it this season?

I had a player request TO and I asked him why? He told me that his coach told his players to request a TO when runners are on base so that can not advance. I told the player that this was not a men's slow pitch softball league and if he wanted to stop the runners from advancing he should get the ball into the pitcher quicer. After the inning was over the coach comes out and wants to know why his players can not have a TO to stop the runners from advancing because they do that in men's slow pitch softball. I did not know whether to laugh or cry.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
MB:

I like that one. May MTD, Jr., and I steal it this season?
Of course. If I had wanted to keep it to myself, I didn't go about that very well.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would an infielder be scared to throw the ball back to the pitcher? They field it and throw to a base.

What's the difference if he throws the ball to the pitcher and then calls time and runs to the mound? Do you not grant time then?

It has nothing to do with "not wanting to be there in the first place". However, it does have everything to do with not wanting a marathon when there is no time limit.

Also, the game's tempo is better if the game moves along. The defense makes more plays and the offense hits the ball more. If you ever move a game along instead of taking your marathons, you will notice the level of play is slightly better in many cases. Teams just play better when they keep their momentum going.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Another reason why we don't kill it for defense, is that we are thus killing it for the offense...we have all seen the VERY aggressive runner or team, with a runner at third, that loves to time their run to take advantage of a lazy or unaware team that is slow bringing the ball in....they often bolt for home....keep the ball alive for the offense, it's their game too......
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

A related issue:

How observant are you of F6 or F4 sneaking towards second with R2 when a batter requests time?
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A related issue:

How observant are you of F6 or F4 sneaking towards second with R2 when a batter requests time?
They are of no concern as long as PU feels sufficient amount of time has passed to warrant "Time" being called for the batter.

If it takes that long for a play to develop, then F6 or F4 need to learn to work quicker. This is the opposite. Still don't want to be the 10th defensive person on the field.

Also, that is a completely different issue. Now, we are talking about a safety issue. Especially, if the pitcher decides to deliver the ball with an unsuspecting batter or catcher. Not even close to a related issue.

One involves safety and the other involves not gaining an unfair advantage.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
They are of no concern as long as PU feels sufficient amount of time has passed to warrant "Time" being called for the batter.

If it takes that long for a play to develop, then F6 or F4 need to learn to work quicker. This is the opposite. Still don't want to be the 10th defensive person on the field.

Also, that is a completely different issue. Now, we are talking about a safety issue. Especially, if the pitcher decides to deliver the ball with an unsuspecting batter or catcher. Not even close to a related issue.

One involves safety and the other involves not gaining an unfair advantage.
I have had college batters step out suddenly and call for time just as F1 begins his move to second.

Just as I am not the 10th defensive player, neither am I there to assist the offense. If I believe F1 has begun a play, I will not kill it.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have had college batters step out suddenly and call for time just as F1 begins his move to second.

Just as I am not the 10th defensive player, neither am I there to assist the offense. If I believe F1 has begun a play, I will not kill it.
There is a fine line to walk on that type of issue. Just as the umpire doesn't want to be the 10th defensive player. He also doesn't want to be the 10th offensive player.

If F1 initiates a play or pitch before "Time" is granted, then I have no problem with not calling it. Let the play go.

It is more of a timing issue. If the play takes long enough for the PU to grant "Time", then the play doesn't happen if PU grants it. I don't care if it did happen at the same time. Generally, that will take only about 4 to 5 seconds to occur. The batter can wait that long or suffer the consequences.

I don't look at F6 or F4. I key off of F1. He is my only concern at that point since he is the one with the ball. And, many times, the PU can see if something is developing before granting "Time".