The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Granting time to walk the ball to the pitcher

During an off-season clinic one of the presenters said that he does not call time when an infielder requests time to walk the ball into the pitcher (with runners on base). Although this I do grant time, it does make sense not to. Any thoughts?
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Don't grant "Time". Keep the ball live. Make them play the game and don't be the 10th defensive player on the field.

"Live" play moves faster than "dead" play. Players try to keep their tempo going during "live" play. If you stop play, then players tend to walk and drag the game out.

Keep it "live".
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga umpire View Post
don't grant "time". Keep the ball live. Make them play the game and don't be the 10th defensive player on the field.

"live" play moves faster than "dead" play. Players try to keep their tempo going during "live" play. If you stop play, then players tend to walk and drag the game out.

Keep it "live".
+1
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

+1

When an infielder requests time in this situation I ask: "Why?"

They never have an answer.

It is a baseball skill to return the ball to the mound. It is not an umpire protect me plan.

Do NOT call time.

T
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you should happen on a reflective fielder, who answers Tee's question with, "because he might run," you can reply:
"Don't you want to be able to throw him out?"

I know I want him to.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

+1+

I adopted that exact procedure that Tim C. just described during my first season, when this one shortstop called time, trotted toward the pitcher, flipped him the ball and continued running toward his own dugout. Once there, he grabbed a cup of Gatorade, downed it and trotted back to shortstop and thanked me.

I was flabbergasted. I looked at his coach as if to tell him that was really a major stretch, and he looked at me with a million dollar expression on his face, so I knew he'd handle it. He did.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
+1+

I adopted that exact procedure that Tim C. just described during my first season, when this one shortstop called time, trotted toward the pitcher, flipped him the ball and continued running toward his own dugout. Once there, he grabbed a cup of Gatorade, downed it and trotted back to shortstop and thanked me.

I was flabbergasted. I looked at his coach as if to tell him that was really a major stretch, and he looked at me with a million dollar expression on his face, so I knew he'd handle it. He did.
If that happened to me, I'd be tempted to force a substitution if I could get away with it. Or, turn it into a trip to the mound or something. Just to teach a lesson the hard way. I'd even think about an EJ just so he can waste someone else's time. Unbelievable.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
During an off-season clinic one of the presenters said that he does not call time when an infielder requests time to walk the ball into the pitcher (with runners on base). Although this I do grant time, it does make sense not to. Any thoughts?
Let me ask you this, are you the umpire or are you the 10th defensive player for both teams?

No one, not even LL needs TIME to throw the ball to F1. When I am asked to give TIME for this I ask them "Are you unable to make the throw or is your pitcher unable to catch? You are on your own, son, get the ball in there!"
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
Any thoughts?
+5

Don't call time out so often.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Really? Now they not only have trouble throwing the ball to F1, they can't even walk it there?

No, I'm not granting time for this. They need to play ball. This ain't coach pitch any more. We (I) don't call time when the play stops to get the ball back to the mound.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

While working a JuCo game, player asked for time. I asked why he needed time, his reply, because the coach said I had to after every play. Needless to say, I never granted time.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
When an infielder requests time in this situation I ask: "Why?"

They never have an answer.

It is a baseball skill to return the ball to the mound. It is not an umpire protect me plan.

Do NOT call time.

T
I will do the same thing... "why" so I dont overthrow the ball to the pitcher" and I will say... sorry...
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 09:42pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Sometimes I will say "We're keeping it live guys." "You have to make the throw."
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
This happened a few times

last season. Every time I asked why but only one catcher had an appropriate response:

"I need to talk to the pitcher".
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon View Post
last season. Every time I asked why but only one catcher had an appropriate response:

"I need to talk to the pitcher".
Catchers' are not held to the same standard as other defensive players. Unless they are clearly abusing the privilege, they get time pretty much whenever they ask.