The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

ASA, fastpitch, girls:
In between pitches batter looks for signals w/1 foot in, 1 foot out. Gets signal, steps back into box and goes through multiple digs in dirt, scratching, bat swinging, etc. to get ready for next pitch....all the while not paying attention to pitcher. No time asked, no time granted.

Pitcher, while batter was getting signals, got her signal and is on rubber ready to pitch before batter is back in box.

Pitcher waits a few seconds and batter isn't done yet. Decides to pitch. This ain't a quick pitch by any stretch.

Doesn't the batter, when they step into the box assume a little responsibility when it comes to being ready?

I've instructed batters who do this "preparation" stuff to pay attention when the step in the box because if no time is granted the pitch can be made. Not a quick pitch mind you, a pitch.

Point is, keep game flowing without undue delay. Pitcher has time limit, doesn't batter when getting ready?
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

What are you going to say and do if the batter takes a fast ball to the head because you didn't hold up the pitcher? If the batter is taking too long getting set, warn her. But NEVER let the pitcher throw when the batter isn't looking.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2004, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
If the batter is taking too long getting set, warn her. But NEVER let the pitcher throw when the batter isn't looking.
I agree. 100%.

It is true the batter should not be allowed to delay the game with an overly long at-bat ritual, but you should not allow the pither to pitch if the batter is not looking.

You can warn the batter, and with youth players, a couple of warnings is almost always all it takes.
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Red face

......and tell her coach, too, right then if possible, or not between innings. HE could be the actual culprit.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Most experienced pitchers will wait for the batter to get ready. That experience comes from years of waiting because umpires have held up their hands. Now the pitcher has been trained and they don't need the umpire to hold them up.

The first thing I do is observe the pitcher. If she is going to wait, then I usually don't worry about it. But if she is anxious to pitch, then my hand is going up. When the batter steps in the box, I watch her eyes. When the eyes look up and focus on the pitcher I will drop my hand.

I will warn batters for excessive delay. It is not really a warning, but more of a command: "Let's go, batter!"

If the delays are becoming a problem, you do have time limits that can be enforced. In NFHS the batter has 20 seconds to get ready after the ball has been returned to the pitcher. ASA gives 10 seconds after the umpire has directed the batter to get ready. If you need to, enforce that rule and call a strike (no pitch is required) on the batter.

Whatever you do, never allow a pitcher to throw when the batter is not looking! Hold her up with your hand. Even if your hand is not up, if she starts to pitch, quickly jump out with hands up and yell NO PITCH!" If you don't stop her, at least you alerted the batter.

WMB

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Aug 1st, 2004 at 01:07 PM]
Old Sun Aug 01, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Just wanted to get others take on this situation. I didn't let the pitcher pitch .... I told the managers at the pre game meeting to make sure their players were not taking undue time in the box w/o time out. Also reminded the "offenders" to pay attention when they started their ritual.

I think they seemed to get the point that simply holding up their hand and taking forever to get set wasn't the way to get things done.

They were stepp'n in paying attention as the day went on.