The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I was reading through some FED interps on NFHS.com last night and saw this exact play posted in there on their official 2010 interps document that has 20 sample case plays. NFHS interp states that the runner must retouch 3B or be called out on appeal.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
because we have no appeal plays in SC.
Waaaaahuh? You mean...none? At all? For anything?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviverito View Post
Waaaaahuh? You mean...none? At all? For anything?
In SC under FED rules, if the umpire sees a missed base, he calls it without any defensive player/coach having to tell him. This is an old FED rule which only SC still does. In others, the defense has to at least tell the umpire before he makes a ruling. And, as you know in OBR, the defense has to tag/touch the runner/base for a ruling.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I was reading through some FED interps on NFHS.com last night and saw this exact play posted in there on their official 2010 interps document that has 20 sample case plays. NFHS interp states that the runner must retouch 3B or be called out on appeal.
RIght -- as first noted in post #7 and as quoted in post #9.

We're discussing whether it's the "right" ruling in FED and whether it is (or should be) the same in other codes.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

That topic comes up fairly often on discussion boards, that SC allows no appeals. I know that quite a few years ago this was the rule for all FED games, it was since changed and SC retained the old rule. But it always makes me wonder about something else.

When you say NO appeals, how do they handle appeals for batting out of order, which the rule book clearly labels an appeal by the defense? Or, is it that SC just doesn't allow BASERUNNING appeals?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Bretman,

Great question and pickup. Since I'm not looking at my lineup card for each batter, those issues of batting out of order must be brought to our attention by the defense (or offense, for that matter, depending on the time). So, to better answer you, yes, only on baserunning infractions.

In our state clinic last Thursday, the director of the HS League defended the continued use of this policy in SC essentially as this (and this was said in front of coaches present at the clinic) - to paraphrase, "why should kids who aren't taught the proper way to appeal, or even to appeal in the first place be penalized because they have bad coaching?" He went on to suggest some schools have coaches in place because they are the nearest warm body to put there, so the kids don't learn proper baseball rules such as appeals, so why should they be required to bring it to the attention of the umpire, when the umpire should just see it in the first place!

Yes, this is pretty much what he said, so I don't see it changing in this state anytime soon. And for the record, every school we cover in our association has pretty good coaching at all levels (1A to 4A). Nobody that I'd consider a warm body by any stretch of that definition.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
Bretman,

Great question and pickup. Since I'm not looking at my lineup card for each batter, those issues of batting out of order must be brought to our attention by the defense (or offense, for that matter, depending on the time). So, to better answer you, yes, only on baserunning infractions.

In our state clinic last Thursday, the director of the HS League defended the continued use of this policy in SC essentially as this (and this was said in front of coaches present at the clinic) - to paraphrase, "why should kids who aren't taught the proper way to appeal, or even to appeal in the first place be penalized because they have bad coaching?" He went on to suggest some schools have coaches in place because they are the nearest warm body to put there, so the kids don't learn proper baseball rules such as appeals, so why should they be required to bring it to the attention of the umpire, when the umpire should just see it in the first place!

Yes, this is pretty much what he said, so I don't see it changing in this state anytime soon. And for the record, every school we cover in our association has pretty good coaching at all levels (1A to 4A). Nobody that I'd consider a warm body by any stretch of that definition.
I second everything that was said by scarolinablue.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:56pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
RIght -- as first noted in post #7 and as quoted in post #9.

We're discussing whether it's the "right" ruling in FED and whether it is (or should be) the same in other codes.
Isn't it "right" until they change it?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Isn't it "right" until they change it?
It's official, and I'll enforce it that way.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarolinablue View Post
the director of the HS League...said in front of coaches present at the clinic) - to paraphrase, "why should kids who aren't taught the proper way to appeal, or even to appeal in the first place be penalized because they have bad coaching?" He went on to suggest some schools have coaches in place because they are the nearest warm body to put there, so the kids don't learn proper baseball rules such as appeals, so why should they be required to bring it to the attention of the umpire, when the umpire should just see it in the first place!
So...let me see if I got this straight...they allow the kids to play the game and the schools to hire or assign coaches. In some cases the coaches are not interested in the game and therefor not able to teach it. Instead of letting them fail and learn from their mistakes or shut down their programs...the league administration removes provisions of the game to improve the experience for the kids...thus sending a message to formidable minds that education/learning, tradition, and rules have no place or value in high-school athletics. Do I have that right?
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I played school ball in the mid-1960s. Appeals had to be with a live ball, but I don't know how closely the rule otherwise followed OBR. (We all thought we played simply under "baseball rules," which we assumed to be the same throughout the universe.) I coached HS baseball in the early 1970s, and I remember that appeals were problematic, with many players and even coaches (and umpires) not knowing how to put the ball back in play or follow other requirements. The high school I coached hired its own umpires, and so did the schools we played. The umps dressed differently. They didn't seem to represent a particular association, and I never saw an official rule book. (Our principal, Bob Kanaby, later became president of NFHS.)

I don't know when Fed took over, but I wasn't surprised when I heard that they had abolished appeals entirely (temporarily). Did Fed invent dead ball appeals to make its reinstated appeals process easier, or were dead ball appeals around earlier?

The few high school games I've attended in the past decade have been almost unbearably slow. I end up talking to other spectators and barely watching the field. So I'm for practically anything that keeps the game moving.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 06:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

If umpires didn't "Call time" so often there's no need to "put the ball back in play" and make the appeal process "difficult" I'm not blaming umpires or anything...but I think that's part of why FED made the appeal process so easy and took it out of the umpire's hands (except in SC) to simply call players out on appeal w/o the defense appealing.

I see blatant misses every year for the last 5 years and not one time did the defense appeal...sometimes B/R missing 1B right in front of F3...

I think the appeal rules are pretty good for FED.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Last season I counted 33 missed bases w/out an 6 bases with appeal. The year before it was a whopping 43 to 2!
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 10:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviverito View Post
Last season I counted 33 missed bases w/out an 6 bases with appeal. The year before it was a whopping 43 to 2!
That's an amazing stat. 33 more outs...and how many more minutes of game time did those outs cost you. Very interesting post. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 18, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's an amazing stat. 33 more outs...and how many more minutes of game time did those outs cost you. Very interesting post. Thanks.

I hear ya. But not my concern. My job is to grant and decide on the appeal if the defense requests it...not to draw attention to the mistake.