The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Take the same play (remember starting with R3), but when R3 overruns third, the defense makes a move to tag him. R3 runs directly to second, reaches it and is standing on the base when the defense tags him. Now what's your ruling?

Me? I'd have an out.

And, since R3 can't "retreat" to second, he can't "retreat past third." So, he's not required to touch third again.
I see what you're getting at, but when the runner goes home, he physically steps over 3rd base (or slightly around it). When he goes to 2nd, if you draw his path on paper, he's making a "wide turn" if you look at it. I wouldn't have an out in your scenario.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Unless he is attempting to confuse the defense or make a travesty of the game, his retreat to 2nd is legal.
dash,

I would disagree.

Once a runner legally attains a base, and the pitcher subsequently delivers a pitch (or even engages the rubber with possession of the ball in preparation to make a subsequent pitch), the runner may NOT retreat to a previous base for any reason. (7.01 Comment).

I agree with mbyron's assertion.

JM
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unless he is attempting to confuse the defense or make a travesty of the game, his retreat to 2nd is legal.
I don't have any of my baseball books here, but from OBR:

7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base. Rule 7.01 Comment: If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with UmpJM and others. Since he is an R3, he cannot retreat back to 2B so he cannot be considered between 2B and 3B. Had he been an R2, then I would uphold the appeal.

Touching the bases in order does not include the one he started from. He has already touched that one in order.

I'm interested if NCAA has an official ruling on this. If not, would they be inclined to lean towards no appeal/appeal?
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
dash,

I would disagree.

Once a runner legally attains a base, and the pitcher subsequently delivers a pitch (or even engages the rubber with possession of the ball in preparation to make a subsequent pitch), the runner may NOT retreat to a previous base for any reason. (7.01 Comment).

I agree with mbyron's assertion.

JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I don't have any of my baseball books here, but from OBR:

7.01 A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out. He is then entitled to it until he is put out, or forced to vacate it for another runner legally entitled to that base. Rule 7.01 Comment: If a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base.
In the OP, the pitcher had not assumed his pitching position when the runner retreated.

Bob - if you quoted that rule without referring to your baseball books, I am truly impressed.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
In the OP, the pitcher had not assumed his pitching position when the runner retreated.

Dash,

Huh?!?!!? WTF are you talking about?

In the OP, the R3 STARTS on 3B (hence, the appellation, "R3"). The pitcher then presumably pitches the ball because I don't understand how the batter could have...

Quote:
... hit(s) the ball out in front of the plate....
if the pitcher never pitched it.

JM
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

In the OP, the R3 STARTS on 3B
Oops. You're right. Thanks for not being snotty about it.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, for the record then. In Fed the runner is out on appeal because of Situation #9 ONLY. A runner is either advancing and shall touch the bases in order or returning, and shall retouch the bases in reverse order. Black and white no exceptions during live action.

In OBR there is no Situation #9 so we abide by the real rules that read quite similar to Fed, except for Situation #9.

In Fed you uphold appeal, in OBR you deny.
Old Fri Feb 12, 2010, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

no must touch, no must retouch

B/R may run directly to 2B after running up the line past 1B.

Retouching a base is only required when runner must retreat.

Neither condition is satisfied in the OP, thus OBR is correct.

The runner advancing home and returning to 3B is not required to retouch 3B in either direction.

FED Situation 9 now requires a runner to retouch a previously occupied base before advancing to the next base. Reminds me of the FED foul ball ruling that was recently rescinded.

Last edited by SAump; Sat Feb 13, 2010 at 12:38am.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Bring on the lawsuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
Bunch of umpire guys kick off the season each year by have a big dinner together at a local restaurant after our FED test. Last night was that night. During the evening one umpire shared a play he had last year, and asked if he "got it right."

The play resulted in a spirited debate. I am going to post the play, and NOT tell you my opinion. I am interested in your opinions.

FED RULES: R3. Batter hits the ball out in front of the plate. R3 comes far down the line. F2 fields the ball, and sees he has a play on R3. R3 sprints back toward third base. R3 goes back into third base standing up. He actually is going back so quickly, that he cannot stop at the bag, but rather steps on third base and continues several steps past the bag, and is standing on the outfield side of the bag. R3 is clearly going to be out, except F2 throws the ball all the way to the left field corner. R3 turns around and sprints for home (remember, he is standing two good steps on the outfield side of third base). He runs completely in foul territory and never touches third base on his way home. Defense appeals that the runner missed third base.

Do you uphold or deny the appeal? FED? OBR?
It wouldn't be any different if he skirts fair territory just inside the 3rd baseline.

Appeal denied, R3 is standing on 3B at TOP. How can he miss the base?

Last edited by SAump; Sat Feb 13, 2010 at 12:28am.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:13am
Stop staring at me swan.

Great thread...so what do we tell the def-coach in our OBR games when he wants the appeal? Please offer an explanation...I've read all of the posts at least twice...I'm just wondering on what grounds we can deny the appeal in OBR...the coach will want an explanation and "I saw it on officiating.com" is probably not the best one I could give him. Thank you.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Great thread...so what do we tell the def-coach in our OBR games when he wants the appeal? Please offer an explanation...I've read all of the posts at least twice...I'm just wondering on what grounds we can deny the appeal in OBR...the coach will want an explanation and "I saw it on officiating.com" is probably not the best one I could give him. Thank you.
Tell him there is no "missed base" because the runner could not legally retreat past 3rd. He was not obligated to touch 3rd again.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Once a runner aquires the right to a base, he has fulfilled his obligation for touching the base whether advancing or returning and therefore can not miss thed base he already touched.

In Fed? "Please read Situation #9 coach and direct all questions to NFHS, maybe they can explain it better."

The way I am understaning this now, (and I may be wrong), in the OP had the returning runner missed 3b when returning and then again when heading for home, you would still deny the appeal. If this is different please supply a reference.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
The way I am understanding this now, (and I may be wrong), in the OP had the returning runner missed 3b when returning and then again when heading for home, you would still deny the appeal. If this is different please supply a reference.
For FED, R1 (on third) is out on appeal. The reference is Situation 9: "Ruling: R1 is out on the valid defensive appeal."

For all other codes: deny the appeal.
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

For what it is worth, the runner was called out. As was pointed out above, the runner was called out at the end of the play (and not on appeal) because we have no appeal plays in SC.

Also, for what it is worth, I have read through this thread several times and I now have doubts...but prior to this thread I definitely would have called R3 out on appeal had this occurred in a game when I was in MiLB.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.