The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Two schools of thought for the following question. I'd like to get some other opinions.

As an umpire, should you have a copy of the rule book with your at the diamond? I have heard reasons for both having one and consciously not bringing one to the diamond.

I subscribe to the theory that it is better to stop a game for 10 minutes, consult the book and make sure of a call on the field, than it is to not have the credibility of the umpire undermined at the time and have the game protested on the basi of a bad call.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
Well OBR 9 GENERAL INSTRUCIONS TO UMPIRES states "cary your rule book" so i carry it.
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehe

Only untrained umpires would ever think of actually carrying their rule book to the field.

ALWAYS have a rule book available. I keep mine in the car along with other reference material so that if the worst happened I could stop the game, go to the car and read.

I have never seen an umpire do this (go to read the book during a game) but I ONLY work games where the players are of shaving age.

robert has made yet another astonishing post.

Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

You have to show enough reassurance and proficiency that you don't carry a rule book.

Just think of what runs through your mind when you see a coach scrambling for his rule book in a dug-out after a very rare call. You chuckle, right? You think, what is is real job, right?

Don't put the impression on the people that you need a rule book next to your brush. Walk Large...and In-Charge!!!
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would bet if you were to poll the majority of those two schools of thought, (and make the poll only of officials), there would overwhelming support for leaving that book off the field.

Yes, as already reported, OBR recommends they be on the field. Well when I start officiating MLB ball (In my next life time), then I will take their advise on everthing.

Now this poll can serve two purposes:

1. Answer your question.
2. Generate enough responses to sset the world record for most post on the forum.

Either way, think of the honor will have acheived.??????
Old Fri Aug 09, 2002, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
I dont actually cary it on the field with me, and I have never had to use it. I set it outside the fence inside my bag. I think keepin it in the car is a little too far away in my park. Also its not like on every play I look in the book. The main reason I have it is for an argument settler.
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

I don't carry one on the field, although I've always got one in my vehicle. I'm not afraid of someone else having one on the field, but if they pull it out, they better have it opened to the area they want to discuss. I'll not delay a game for them to find what they're looking for---they better know it and be there if they plan on using that book.

I feel it is arrogant for an umpire not to allow a book on the field (as many umpires may not allow).
These are the rules that govern this game. IMO, the coach has the right to question and point out that which he feels is improper. Still, I'll not let him turn the game into a fiasco in doing so. His having the book does not mean that I'm going to stand there and read it with him or to him.

The final decision, book or not, will be that of the umpires. If the coach doesn't like it, he can look in the book to read the rule regarding protest.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe

Steve:

I think it is quite funny that you, of all people, talk about what makes an umpire arrogant.

But let's place that aside for a moment while we review the process of knowing rules:

If you are a "trained" umpire (and I call no difference to a volunteer or a paid umpire) you have a working knowledge of the Nine Rules under which the game is played.

What chance do you think there would be that a coach could possibly come out to discuss and request a reading of any of those nine rules and the two of you actually come to an answer by reading the simple words in the book?

We have been hashing the same plays around the internet for four years with sitations from JEA, J/R, BRD, "Knotty Problems", the NAPBL Manual and still have serious questions about rules that appear simple to some.

If a coach came out to argue that "the hands ARE part of the bat" and told you to get out the rule book and SHOW HIM that he is wrong, could it be done? Nope.

Even if you require a coach to "find" whatever information in the book that backs his position THEN come out to discuss it that doesn't work either.

Why?

No coach (manager or even administrator) has even a flake of knowledge of the book that a "trained" umpire has . . . I would be willing to bet that not even a trained umpired that is coaching could find the reference soon enough as not to delay the game.

Steve, there are certain things in the world that can have research done and prove a point. Baseball rulings, DURING THE GAME, are made by the most qualified person, Mr. Umpire!

It is NOT an ego issue to NOT carry a rule book on to the field of battle. It is just good common sense.

We are not talking about life and death Steve -- we are talking about a game between the local A & P and Bob's Speed Shop.

Again:

I have never seen an umpire carry a rule book on to the field of play during over three decades of working games where players are of shaving age.

It is poor advice to suggest that a "trained" umpire carry the rule book on to the field.

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 10th, 2002 at 12:34 PM]
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, can someone tell me how, and why, my reply was deleted? This is not the first time.

Bob
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hehehehe

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

It is poor advice to suggest that a "trained" umpire carry the rule book on to the field.

and I don't think I advocated that, Tee.
I think your statement implies that I did.

What I do say, is don't have an erection or an ejection merely because a coach brings a rule book onto the field. The rules are what you are playing by. There's no reason they should be banned from the site.

Make your ruling as you see fit. If you need that book and want to use, then use it. If you don't, then don't.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Me too!

Bob:

I also had a post deleted AND when I tried to log in it would not accept my time honored password.

Things settled down just a little bit ago.

Try again.
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I think it's been said, but take it to the field, not on the field. I like to have it in my bag so that between games I can check on something that came up. It does not do any good to have it on the field though because you are not going to stop the game while you look something up.
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Michael Hughes

Two schools of thought for the following question. I'd like to get some other opinions.

As an umpire, should you have a copy of the rule book with your at the diamond? I have heard reasons for both having one and consciously not bringing one to the diamond.

I subscribe to the theory that it is better to stop a game for 10 minutes, consult the book and make sure of a call on the field, than it is to not have the credibility of the umpire undermined at the time and have the game protested on the basi of a bad call.

Michael, I agree with TEE and others Do not carry it, however, what I have found to be the best approach to not only your thread but on "other" threads where there are differencies of opinion is this:

Try things YOUR way first, then

Try something else

Compare the 2 and see what gives the most desired results. Umpiring is a craft mastered through game experience. Also, as TEE points out it does matter whether the kids shave or not. Once you get into "adult" type umpiring, things change and the way you learn is this:

Stay stubborn: Do it your way and get burned. All of a sudden you start getting less game assignments or because of the shortage you might be working everyday but guess where? places no one wants to go.

If things aren't working your way try something different.

Pete Booth

Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking It's BAACK!!

One can measure the passing of time by the regular return of the SAME inquiries over the years. Like clockwork, and your weird uncle, he keeps coming back. This inquiry only lapped by the infamous and oft heard, "Base Umpire Clicker Quandry" Puleeeze...

No no no to the question, echoed by most others.

I remember back in the olden days, those "10 minute delays" while a rule book was consulted...... ugh. Makes me shiver.
I can't think of anything that would look for amaturish and bush than that.

I'm ready for the next thread, "The Rulebook EJ?!"
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Moose:

Shame on you. What kind of talk is that. Kids and some spouses visit this page you know. I mean what were you thinking????

Oops. Sorry...just noticed you said rulebook EJ.

Never mind.