View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe

Steve:

I think it is quite funny that you, of all people, talk about what makes an umpire arrogant.

But let's place that aside for a moment while we review the process of knowing rules:

If you are a "trained" umpire (and I call no difference to a volunteer or a paid umpire) you have a working knowledge of the Nine Rules under which the game is played.

What chance do you think there would be that a coach could possibly come out to discuss and request a reading of any of those nine rules and the two of you actually come to an answer by reading the simple words in the book?

We have been hashing the same plays around the internet for four years with sitations from JEA, J/R, BRD, "Knotty Problems", the NAPBL Manual and still have serious questions about rules that appear simple to some.

If a coach came out to argue that "the hands ARE part of the bat" and told you to get out the rule book and SHOW HIM that he is wrong, could it be done? Nope.

Even if you require a coach to "find" whatever information in the book that backs his position THEN come out to discuss it that doesn't work either.

Why?

No coach (manager or even administrator) has even a flake of knowledge of the book that a "trained" umpire has . . . I would be willing to bet that not even a trained umpired that is coaching could find the reference soon enough as not to delay the game.

Steve, there are certain things in the world that can have research done and prove a point. Baseball rulings, DURING THE GAME, are made by the most qualified person, Mr. Umpire!

It is NOT an ego issue to NOT carry a rule book on to the field of battle. It is just good common sense.

We are not talking about life and death Steve -- we are talking about a game between the local A & P and Bob's Speed Shop.

Again:

I have never seen an umpire carry a rule book on to the field of play during over three decades of working games where players are of shaving age.

It is poor advice to suggest that a "trained" umpire carry the rule book on to the field.

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 10th, 2002 at 12:34 PM]