View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 10, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Michael Hughes

Two schools of thought for the following question. I'd like to get some other opinions.

As an umpire, should you have a copy of the rule book with your at the diamond? I have heard reasons for both having one and consciously not bringing one to the diamond.

I subscribe to the theory that it is better to stop a game for 10 minutes, consult the book and make sure of a call on the field, than it is to not have the credibility of the umpire undermined at the time and have the game protested on the basi of a bad call.

Michael, I agree with TEE and others Do not carry it, however, what I have found to be the best approach to not only your thread but on "other" threads where there are differencies of opinion is this:

Try things YOUR way first, then

Try something else

Compare the 2 and see what gives the most desired results. Umpiring is a craft mastered through game experience. Also, as TEE points out it does matter whether the kids shave or not. Once you get into "adult" type umpiring, things change and the way you learn is this:

Stay stubborn: Do it your way and get burned. All of a sudden you start getting less game assignments or because of the shortage you might be working everyday but guess where? places no one wants to go.

If things aren't working your way try something different.

Pete Booth