The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Stopped This Year

This is my fourth year umpiring. During the first three years of umpiring career, I carried the rule book in my back pocket. Why did I stop this year? A combination of reading discussions like this and acquired confidence and experience from reading hundreds of posts at sites like this.

Once you have mastered the fundamental rules, you can "discuss" any rules situation with a manager. The biggest challenge I have found is using the "right phases" to communicate with the manager so we can move with the game. Anytime you can insert "in my judgment" as part of the explanation that usually ends the discussion.
Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

You'd be absolutely foolish not to have any access to a rulebook whatsoever. If something esoteric comes up for which you don't have the ruling on your finger tips - you are going to look pretty foolish when it is protested successfully when it could have been resolved promptly with a quick glance at a rulebook.

As one poster already mentioned. You should have your rulebook with you.

I don't think I'd have the rulebook with me in my back pocket. It makes you look kind of geeky and uncertain.

Neither, would I have my rulebook out in the parking lot, locked in the trunk of my car. Imagine how silly that would look if you actually had to reference it.

Don't most of you have an equipment bag that you place in some safe location near the field? That's where I keep my rulebook.

If I needed to reference it, I could have access to it in a matter of seconds.

Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe

Equipment Bag? To the Field?

Hehehehe

Make sure you have your water bottle in your back pocket also.

Again, I have never known an umpire that has EVER carried a rule book to the field.

Of course I have only worked a few games in a limited number of areas.

Old Sun Aug 11, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Tee, I knew one...I think

It was 1972, no 71....no maybe it was 73....I'm not sure. I think it was in Gilroy, a first year Babe Ruth ump had a rule book in his back pocket. It disappeared after the plate conference. I'm not sure what happened to it. Oh yeah, I remember now, I took the damn thing away from him and threw it over the fence.

GB
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling

I don't think I'd have the rulebook with me in my back pocket. It makes you look kind of geeky and uncertain.

As a veteran, David, you learn the little tricks........

Here's a tip:
    If you put that rulebook inside your pocket protector, nobody notices the rulebook..............

go ahead and try it.............

Freix

Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Stee here's an HONEST question for you

Why don't MLB Umpires carry a Rule Book onto the field?

I don't think you can argue that "they know the rules better" than an umpire that works non-professional games. We see here on the internet that there are many umpires that know just about everything to do with the rules.

What reason would they have to not carry the book as suggest by somoe of the posts in this thread?
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Stee here's an HONEST question for you

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Why don't MLB Umpires carry a Rule Book onto the field?

I don't think you can argue that "they know the rules better" than an umpire that works non-professional games. We see here on the internet that there are many umpires that know just about everything to do with the rules.

What reason would they have to not carry the book as suggest by somoe of the posts in this thread?
Because the first time you check the book during a game, you're telling everyone you're not sure of the rule. And everytime you make a ruling, you're going to hear, "Hey blue, check the book". Let them protest, if they think you're wrong.

Bob
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Good Call Bob!

What I have been trying to say (you said it MUCH better).

There is no reason on earth for an expereinced, trained umpire to carry a rule book onto the field of play.

Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

My sincerest apologies to the lord, master and king.

I was unaware of the fact that I needed to be charting the posts and threads on this site like it was the stock market so as not to disjoint the noses of the senior members.

As one who is new to the site, I will scrutinize things more carefully before asking what I thought to be a valid question in the future.

Sorry to have offended you, master.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Michael

Get over it! Quit being a whiner, pull up your socks and kick our collective butts if you don't like it.

You asked a question and many of us answered.

If you "don't want" answers that disagree with you then don't ask.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

"Sorry to have offended you, master."

Michael,

Forgive me for observing that you appear to be the one offended.

Tee isn't offended. Not by this this thread. I've "known" Tee for at least four years now and I know it takes a lot more than a disgareement expressed at this level to offend him.

And it should take more than this to offend you as well. You are an umpire. Right?

Tee makes a valid point, one my grandfather used to make. "If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question."

I also liked his "When in doubt, imitate a clam."

But I digress.

Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

I apologize for not making the proper notation as to the straw the stirred my drink.

From BJ Moose

It's BAACK!!
One can measure the passing of time by the regular return of the SAME inquiries over the years. Like clockwork, and your weird uncle, he keeps coming back. This inquiry only lapped by the infamous and oft heard, "Base Umpire Clicker Quandry" Puleeeze...

No no no to the question, echoed by most others.

I remember back in the olden days, those "10 minute delays" while a rule book was consulted...... ugh. Makes me shiver.
I can't think of anything that would look for amaturish and bush than that.

The fact that anyone would think disagreement would provoke me to the childishness of whining is absurd.

Why would I open a thread if I didn't want some sort of legitimate feedback?

Have I nothing better to do with my time, or the time of others by posting rhetorical questions?

Who thinks we should abandon the wearing of facemasks?
Anyone? No?

Ok...I'll scratch that offmy list of topics to post out here.

Respectfully,

Michael Hughes
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

"Who thinks we should abandon the wearing of facemasks?
Anyone?"

Ooohhh, ooohhh, I do, I do.

I'm giving up my west vest face mask next season for the All Star hocky helemt/mask.

Now, how about cups?

GB
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Clint Send a message via AIM to Clint Send a message via Yahoo to Clint
I would reccomend you look throgh your rule book and make your self a quick lest of important rules or frequesntly used. and Reivew them before every game. Eliminates a lot of them conversations.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Garth,

I just got my all star mask the other day. It's great. Much lighter, much better vision and much better balanced than a typical mask.