Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

It was a simple call!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
That is THEIR job and the call was NOT that difficult. IMO, there was no NEED for a huddle.

What we do not know is if U2 said "We have a catch" , "we have a catch" on the INITIAL play by Rollins. I saw U2 signal the out but you couldn't tell if he signalled the out because Rollins touched the bag or on the catch.

IMO, the "huddle" took too long.

After the play, U2 should have simply said I had an out on the catch. Then U1 would say I have out on the tag of Matsui by Howard. This should have taken all of say 30 seconds yet they huddled for some time.

They are the BEST of the BEST and IMO, the call was NOT that difficult. Yes they got it right but it should not have taken so long. Also, an easy explanation to the coaches.

So while you say nicely done That is their job. We all have jobs and we are paid to perform them. IMO, no different here.

Pete Booth
No need for a summit meeting. OMG they about blew that call also. The umpiring in the post season has been a big joke and embarassing for MLB.
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
No need for a summit meeting. OMG they about blew that call also. The umpiring in the post season has been a big joke and embarassing for MLB.
Hey Tony,

Shake yourself man. It is a freaking game, and aside from one guy falling victim to bad base running at 3rd base that caused him to have a brain fart it has been pretty damn good. The catch/nocatch at first base was a tough angle for any of us. Do you know who is responsible for that call in a 6 man and do you know where he was standing? As for the play at first base last night, do you understand the angle that the guy had and the physics of that play? That was a whacker at full speed and could have gone either way. I think that the big league guys working to get so far in to see "open glove" may have pulled U1 a little to far in to see the foot hit the bag, but either way it was close, I mean in super slow the ball was 4-6 inches from being in the pocket of the glove. I guess the MLB should hire you ehhhh?
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
If he stays on this roll for the rest of this series, he'll go down with one of the greatest post-season performances in history. Hershiser's 1988 is the best since divisional play began, but they didn't have that third series back then. Lee is unconscious right now. If he can do this again, to the Yankees, and the Phillies win it, well, it's going to be hard to find anything any better.
As a bitter Tigers fan....I still do not forgive Leyland for not starting Kenny Rogers in game 5 of the 2006 World Series

Rogers line for the Postseason that year was pretty good, as well.

3-0
0.00 ERA
23 innings pitched
19 K's

he was full juiced and ready to go and Leyland said...well, we have to win 3. NO, JIMMY! You have to win ONE then ONE then ONE. ARRRRRRRGh
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Watching the game last night with family, somebody exclaims angrily "the ball was 6 inches away from the glove when the runner touched the bag. SIX."

My response: "yup, you're right, traveling at about 70mph or so. You realize that that is less than .01 of a second."
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Durham, what's that "open glove" thing you mentioned? I've been out of the loop for a couple years, admitedlly. Reason I ask is I've been all over the 1B ump in the WS last year (can't remember who) who kicked the call at 1B on the great diving play and glove-hand flip by Jamie Moyer. 1B ump was obviously was to close and listening for the thud, and of course that was rather silent. I've been miffed not because he missed a call (poop happens to the best) but because I thought he got way too close. So that may have been proper "new" mechanics???
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

The way it was explained to me is that they want to get an angle that allows them to see the ball enter the open glove. Not just the 90 degrees that is taught at umpire school, but actually see the ball enter the glove. That way they are sure they have a catch and not something else. Remember the play at the CWS where U1 didn't see what everyone else saw on the ball be bobbled and trapped on the opposite side of the fielder away from U1. He called the runner out when every replay showed what U1 could never see from where he was even though he had a good angle on the play and the throw, but they way it got caught at the bag blocked him out. Also watch how MLB guys go out on balls now. They go out and develop an angle that will allow them to see he ball enter the glove, the work very hard to get where they need to be to see the ball go into the glove. Hence "open glove"!
ome good friends that are AAA sups and guys that I work with in the PCL have done the best they can to explain to me, but I wasn't in spring when they went over it there.

Ask your self this. Ever wonder why on a ball to 2nd we take a step or two off the line inside and the MLB guys go way in and look like they are gonna get hit in the back of the head on TV some times?
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 06:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

The angle sucked...but it was his call...nothing he could've done differently.