The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Gerry Davis Crew get its right! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55195-gerry-davis-crew-get-its-right.html)

Bishopcolle Wed Oct 28, 2009 08:40pm

Gerry Davis Crew get its right!

Just had a double play in the World Series...lots of confusion around second base (catch/no catch) and then a tag out at first.....Confusion...huddle, and then the right call by the Crew....Nicely done by Davis and Crew!

johnSandlin Wed Oct 28, 2009 08:42pm

No question about it

JJ Wed Oct 28, 2009 09:23pm

Thumbs up for Gerry Davis - he's been doing a great job tonight. But then, when has he NOT done a great job? He's always steady, relaxed, has great timing, and doesn't get caught up in the heat of the moment.
Just like all of us...;)

JJ

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:13pm

That plate presence of his that you just highlighted so eloquently: it's a good package of skills and command to try to emulate.

I use that stance of his, and it is very relaxed and effective.

Davis is a great umpire.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:21pm

And the third base coach of the year award goes to ... Sam Perlozzo, for wheeling his center fielder into a home plate collision with a 6-0 lead in the ninth inning! :rolleyes::confused:

DG Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:23pm

Where are the Gerry Davis stance bashers tonight? They should take note how well it works for the mystro, and for those of us who use it, we should aspire to do as well.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 633497)
Where are the Gerry Davis stance bashers tonight? They should take note how well it works for the mystro, and for those of us who use it, we should aspire to do as well.

Amen!

And once in our lives we should each be granted the privilege to call a pitching clinic by a pitcher like Cliff Lee. He just dominated one of the best offensive teams in the last decade. If Rollins doesn't try to pull an Ozzie, Lee could have a World Series Game 1 shutout on his ever more impressive résumé. Amazing performance!

DG Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 633501)
Amen!

And once in our lives we should each be granted the privilege to call a pitching clinic by a pitcher like Cliff Lee. He just dominated one of the best offensive teams in the last decade. If Rollins doesn't try to pull an Ozzie, Lee could have a World Series Game 1 shutout on his ever more impressive résumé. Amazing performance!

Although not a shutout, his ERA for this game is zero since the run scored due to an error.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21pm

If he stays on this roll for the rest of this series, he'll go down with one of the greatest post-season performances in history. Hershiser's 1988 is the best since divisional play began, but they didn't have that third series back then. Lee is unconscious right now. If he can do this again, to the Yankees, and the Phillies win it, well, it's going to be hard to find anything any better.

tjones1 Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:06am

Quote:

I know he invented the dang stance... but...

Everytime I see him work I am amazed of how balanced, relaxed, and smooth he looks.

MrUmpire Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 633509)
I know he invented the dang stance... but...

Not true. That stance had been used years before Gerry made it popular.

SanDiegoSteve Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:38am

Quote:

Where are the Gerry Davis stance bashers tonight?

Well, I was going to take the rest of the night off until you asked!;)

jicecone Thu Oct 29, 2009 07:36am

Outstanding pitching by Lee. When he made the behind the back catch, you just knew it was his night. Great job.

Yes Davis was and is smooth and relaxed however , I thought he missed too many pitches myself. With that type of pitching though it it had no bearing on the game.

The TV strike zone box leaves a lot to be desired also but then again I may not have perfect vision 1500 miles away either.

Ump Rube Thu Oct 29, 2009 09:01am

A New Direction

As I was watching the game, I noticed that the jackets the base guys were wearing look different than normal. Upon further review, thanks TiVo, while my wife sat next to me rolling her eyes and calling me a dork, I noticed the following changes: new fabric (not the nylon shell, but that wet-suit type stuff), full zip (not the 1/4 zip), zippered pocket over/behind the MLB logo.

Does anyone know if these are available to the public, or have they been around and I am just out of the loop (which is very possible, after the season ends I check out entirely for a good month or 2 to clear my mind)?

JJ Thu Oct 29, 2009 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bishopcolle (Post 633468)
Just had a double play in the World Series...lots of confusion around second base (catch/no catch) and then a tag out at first.....Confusion...huddle, and then the right call by the Crew....Nicely done by Davis and Crew!

Can any of you "link-sters" out there post a link to this play if it's available?
Thanks.

JJ