The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I guess Gorman pumping the out three times before Rollins touched the bag is not enough for some.
Gorman only got a fist and half a pump in before the touch. He did get 3-4 pumps in before the catch at 1B. I put this out there knowing a flood of negative will probably come my way for it, but...

Wouldn't it have helped if Gorman had pointed in the direction of the catch, instead of just using the fist pump? I know some will see this as possibly calling a trap, but technically the signal for that would be a safe.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kape View Post
I agree that it was technically the right call, but it was still imperfect umpiring. The second base umpire signaled out before the shortstop tagged second, but a much quicker out call on the line drive would have avoided the confusion for the base runner.

The first base umpire called Cano safe (when he was already out), so he added to the confusion. I suppose if Matsui had gone back safely to first and then walked off because of the safe call, the umpires would have put him back on first base after their huddle.

Matsui should have been alert and seen the line drive being caught and gone back to first, but this was not a play for which to pat the umpires on the back.
It's pretty obvious to me that you don't know jacksh*t about umpiring.
I don't know how you would say that. I think his assessment is pretty accurate, other than wanting a quicker call.

It's pretty obvious to me that you judge rather quickly.

Last edited by UmpTTS43; Thu Oct 29, 2009 at 04:23pm.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 05:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
I don't know how you would say that. I think his assessment is pretty accurate, other than wanting a quicker call.

It's pretty obvious to me that you judge rather quickly.
Let's see here...I made a statement that is very similar to the following statement, but you chose only to comment about what I said, and gave jicecone a pass. What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Its obvious you have spent little time umpiring or playing this game because people do not react as fast as you think. Could have, would have, and should have is only realty when being an armchair umpire.
Sounds like he said the same thing, only in a nicer way. Calling it "imperfect umpiring" gave me insight into his umpiring ability and/or experience, that's how I could say what I did, and I stand behind what I said.

Quote:
What was he looking at then? If he would have read the play and his partner, he could have gotten into position for a possible appeal play if there had been one. There should have been a no call on Cano. Since he made a call on Cano, I believe that's why the meeting took a bit longer than usual. The question of "where do we put Matsui?" It was obvious to me that U2 made a call on the catch versus the front end of the double play. Maybe it wasn't as obvious 90 ft away to U1. Since he wasn't looking at the catch, I wonder what his reaction would have been if the SS threw directly to F3 in order to double up Matsui? I would think it would be better to react to the play and your partner rather than the players.
I think Umpmazza meant to say "shouldn't have signaled safe." Probably an error of omission rather than commission.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump Rube View Post
As I was watching the game, I noticed that the jackets the base guys were wearing look different than normal. Upon further review, thanks TiVo, while my wife sat next to me rolling her eyes and calling me a dork, I noticed the following changes: new fabric (not the nylon shell, but that wet-suit type stuff), full zip (not the 1/4 zip), zippered pocket over/behind the MLB logo.

Does anyone know if these are available to the public, or have they been around and I am just out of the loop (which is very possible, after the season ends I check out entirely for a good month or 2 to clear my mind)?
I posted about that before when I noticed them a while back. It's an umpire version of the ThermaBase team jackets that you see coaches and people in the dugouts wearing. I have a Chicago Cubs version of the jacket -- it's pretty warm, but it's also pretty expensive compared to the other types of umpire jackets we wear at $120.

No idea on their availability, but they would be nice up here where most of the spring games are done in the cold. Layering up works, but I'd prefer to just have a thicker jacket.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's see here...I made a statement that is very similar to the following statement, but you chose only to comment about what I said, and gave jicecone a pass. What's up with that?

Sounds like he said the same thing, only in a nicer way. Calling it "imperfect umpiring" gave me insight into his umpiring ability and/or experience, that's how I could say what I did, and I stand behind what I said.

I think Umpmazza meant to say "shouldn't have signaled safe." Probably an error of omission rather than commission.
Actually Steve, I thought it may come across politically incorrect, so I let you say it.

But I can not lie, I did thunk it.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:04pm

Hey, let's hear it for Jeff Nelson, who works the scissors stance! Yeah, scissors!!!

No scissor bashing allowed tonight, all you haters!

Me, circa 1992:
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, let's hear it for Jeff Nelson, who works the scissors stance! Yeah, scissors!!!

Me, circa 1992:
I'll bash the scissors whenever I want. However...

Keep in mind, I wasn't even old enough to be a batboy for that game in 1992.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Me, circa 1992:
Nice fence.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right. I missed that one, should have dished it to jicecone as well.

I just didn't think it was right to get all over this guy just cause it was his first post.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Uh oh....

And Nelson has such a nice zone going.

JM
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Nice fence.
Yeah, my wife took pictures like Mona Lisa Vito.

I had somebody shoot some nice action photos of me at a game a few weeks back, but they never emailed them to me. Fans...just can't trust them.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:03pm

Gorman's having a rough night.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:47pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Nice fence.
I used to work in places with that kind of fence in front of me....it was much better than the chicken wire in some OTHER places I worked.....

JJ
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:48pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:

I had somebody shoot some nice action photos of me at a game a few weeks back, but they never emailed them to me. Fans...just can't trust them.
Have you checked at the Post Office? They might be there....

JJ
Old Fri Oct 30, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're right. I missed that one, should have dished it to jicecone as well.

I just didn't think it was right to get all over this guy just cause it was his first post.
Actually I thought we were doing the guy a favor. wonder if he grows up to be a baseball announcer like McCarver (heaven forbid), at least he can say he learned early in life that umpires do not show up at games to try and mess them up. They legitimately try their best to get everything perfect.

But if I ever see him in person, I will be glad to give him a hug and tell him he should be glad me and Steve straighten him out early in life, being the liberal person I am.