The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Covering base with dirt

Hey guys, had a weird situation happen the other night, Let me know if I handled this right or not. It's High School Fall Ball, pretty good players,but just having fun at this stage of year. I've got the plate the first game, kid hits apparent triple, but can't find second base, so he stops to find it. Coach want 3rd for runner I tell him no he gets second but we'll try to keep bases wiped off better. 2nd game I'm in the field same team out in the field, batter doubles, I clean off base the very next pitch he steals, but its a foul ball, I point the kid back to second but second is no where to be found. I walk over and theres a 1/2 inch off dirt over the base I ask SS and 2b are you guys covering the base with dirt, they just laugh which tell me they are, so I say next runner who can't find 2nd I'm going to call obstruction. It did'nt happen anymore. My fellow umpires said I should have ran the kid, but I did'nt actually see them cover the base. What do you guys think?

Mike