The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I will kick a base, but I will never carry a brush to clean a base or the rubber. The softball guys tend to love to clean those all the time!!

I will also never work to fix a base or clean out the post, thats the home teams job, not mine.
apparently, softball is really stuck up about image, which I don't really care for. I only brush the bases in SB when the supervisor's looking, though my laziness has taught me how to brush the dirt in one good foot swipe as I'm walking by the base. I much prefer baseball, the game is much more relaxed, and you can get away with pretty much any mechanic, though ron luciano stuff may be pushing it...
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yeah, well Evans must have forgotten what it's like to umpire on fields with tons of loose dirt that completely obliterates the bases.
Again, the humor just escapes you.

He was JOKING. He wasn't serious. He was playing to his audience.

Wow.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 12:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
Again, the humor just escapes you.

He was JOKING. He wasn't serious. He was playing to his audience.

Wow.
Then why is there any discussion of whether or not to clean the bases? We should make sure they are visible and clean. Humor does not escape me, it just wasn't that funny. Wow yourself.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then why is there any discussion of whether or not to clean the bases? We should make sure they are visible and clean. Humor does not escape me, it just wasn't that funny. Wow yourself.
If the participants want them clean, then they can clean them. I don't (unless I'm using it as an opportunity to talk quietly the the runner and / or nearest fielders). And, that philosophy pre-dates any knowledge of Evans' opinion on this.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, the current league I'm involved with has a serious dust and loose dirt issue. The bases are'nt exactly totally white when we start I would say antique white would be a little closer. The bases are the 3". But an off white base, loose dirt and a kid with a plan was the probelm! I just wonder in rule 2.00 would this be technically be considered obstruction? In my situation the other night I said that to the middle infield just to stop them from doing it, I just don't know If I could really call it.

Mike
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

WOBW

Personally I do not beleive this is a serious thread.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 08:46am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the participants want them clean, then they can clean them. I don't (unless I'm using it as an opportunity to talk quietly the the runner and / or nearest fielders). And, that philosophy pre-dates any knowledge of Evans' opinion on this.
Me too, me too.
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
WOBW

Personally I do not beleive this is a serious thread.
And me too on this one, too.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You still don't get it.

"Why would you want to do that?" (serious)

"If nobody can see the base, they can't really argue with your safe/out calls!" (joke)

There is a discussion becuase some here apparently think they are responsible for groundskeeping, or they are confused with softball.

Umpires are not groundskeepers. Read Bob's post.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I don't know how serious the thread is, but it did happen! I have never had this happen before or have ever even heard of it happening before. Just wanting a little input on whether or not you could rule obstruction or not? I'm guessing not based on the actual obstruction rule. Just something weird hopefully a one time thing
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
You still don't get it.

"Why would you want to do that?" (serious)

"If nobody can see the base, they can't really argue with your safe/out calls!" (joke)

There is a discussion becuase some here apparently think they are responsible for groundskeeping, or they are confused with softball.

Umpires are not groundskeepers. Read Bob's post.
I didn't ever say we were responsible for groundskeeping. Read my post. I said that in the pros, the bases are kept clean. In our games, there are no groundskeepers. I guess nobody here has to umpire in some of the sandpits I see here on a weekly bases, but trust me, we work without foul lines or any sort of field maintenance, so the bases get OBLITERATED, not just a little dusty. I will kick the dirt out from in front of second base after a runner packs a ton of dirt up against the edge. I do this after granting the runner time to brush the ton of dirt that got all over him when he slid.

That is all.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with SandiegoSteve some of these fields are sandy/dusty just not the best baseball conditions. As far as foul lines go I constantly work with out them,when they do decide to put them down after their done you wish they had not! Fans may see chalk fly but the ball may still be a foot foul. Makes a thankless job even harder

Mike
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm probably going to get reemed for this one but here goes. Since covering a base with dirt is technicaly not obstruction because of lack of physical contact and I'm sure covering a base with dirt to confuse base runners is not covered in any rule book. I still have to believe that is still somewhat illegal. Could you call obstruction then attempt back it up with 9.01 (c)??????

Mike
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Kleff, no. In the case of players purposely covering a base with dirt, order them to stop. If they don't, eject them. Simple solution.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 13, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleff View Post
I'm probably going to get reemed for this one but here goes. Since covering a base with dirt is technicaly not obstruction because of lack of physical contact and I'm sure covering a base with dirt to confuse base runners is not covered in any rule book. I still have to believe that is still somewhat illegal. Could you call obstruction then attempt back it up with 9.01 (c)??????

Mike
9.01 (c) is specifically for situations not covered by rule. Obstruction is covered by rule.

RPatrino has the best solution. Warn, then eject.