The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Covering base with dirt

Hey guys, had a weird situation happen the other night, Let me know if I handled this right or not. It's High School Fall Ball, pretty good players,but just having fun at this stage of year. I've got the plate the first game, kid hits apparent triple, but can't find second base, so he stops to find it. Coach want 3rd for runner I tell him no he gets second but we'll try to keep bases wiped off better. 2nd game I'm in the field same team out in the field, batter doubles, I clean off base the very next pitch he steals, but its a foul ball, I point the kid back to second but second is no where to be found. I walk over and theres a 1/2 inch off dirt over the base I ask SS and 2b are you guys covering the base with dirt, they just laugh which tell me they are, so I say next runner who can't find 2nd I'm going to call obstruction. It did'nt happen anymore. My fellow umpires said I should have ran the kid, but I did'nt actually see them cover the base. What do you guys think?

Mike
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleff View Post
Hey guys, had a weird situation happen the other night, Let me know if I handled this right or not. It's High School Fall Ball, pretty good players,but just having fun at this stage of year. I've got the plate the first game, kid hits apparent triple, but can't find second base, so he stops to find it. Coach want 3rd for runner I tell him no he gets second but we'll try to keep bases wiped off better. 2nd game I'm in the field same team out in the field, batter doubles, I clean off base the very next pitch he steals, but its a foul ball, I point the kid back to second but second is no where to be found. I walk over and theres a 1/2 inch off dirt over the base I ask SS and 2b are you guys covering the base with dirt, they just laugh which tell me they are, so I say next runner who can't find 2nd I'm going to call obstruction. It did'nt happen anymore. My fellow umpires said I should have ran the kid, but I did'nt actually see them cover the base. What do you guys think?

Mike
No one else saw them doing it either? Not even R2 between the double and the foul ball?

It's unsporting and they could be ejected. In fall ball, I'd probably laugh along.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

If anyone did see it no one said anything. I did laugh about it it was sorta funny. But I got to thinking what if this was in the regular season or maybe a big game.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why eject anyone for covering the base? Just call everyone safe! They will get the idea sooner or later.

And where does the OP think he is going to find a rule to call obstruction for covering a base? Still trying to make up your own rules, Kleff?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Why eject anyone for covering the base? Just call everyone safe! They will get the idea sooner or later.

And where does the OP think he is going to find a rule to call obstruction for covering a base? Still trying to make up your own rules, Kleff?
Reminds me of what Jim Evans says about umpires who clean off the bases. Why would you want to do that? If nobody can see the base, they can't really argue with your safe/out calls!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Rule 2.00 OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Did the fielders NOT impede the progress of the runner? I'm just sayin'...
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Reminds me of what Jim Evans says about umpires who clean off the bases. Why would you want to do that? If nobody can see the base, they can't really argue with your safe/out calls!
And that's one of the reasons I think Evans is a pompous a$$!

I sure want the bases to look just like they do in the major leagues; clean and white. You think Evans ever let dirt pile up on the side of the base so a runner sliding in can shoot right over it? They don't let the dirt pile up on the bases in the pros, so why should we in our sandboxes we work in?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Rule 2.00 OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.

Did the fielders NOT impede the progress of the runner? I'm just sayin'...
Not in my opinion! Remember, I am calling the runner safe.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
?

I don't understand how a runner would stop and not know where second base was?
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

This post just blows me away. Bases should, by rule, be a minimum of three inches thick. So maybe the bag is only two inches thick as it may be on some of the fields we work. Like, wouldn't there be a mound of dirt where the bag was? I'd really like to see someone cover a bag with dirt so I couldn't tell where it was. Maybe look under that four inch mound of dirt on an otherwise fairly flat infield. Preposterous!
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I sure want the bases to look just like they do in the major leagues; clean and white. You think Evans ever let dirt pile up on the side of the base so a runner sliding in can shoot right over it? They don't let the dirt pile up on the bases in the pros, so why should we in our sandboxes we work in?
I have never seen a pro umpire clean a base.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I have never seen a pro umpire clean a base.
That's because they never get covered with dirt. If they did, they would call the grounds crew out to clean it. And the grounds crew changes the bases midway through every game, so they always are fresh and white. Plus, they don't play in sandboxes where the dirt piles up to start with. They play on manicured infield dirt that doesn't gather all over the bases. And I have seen MLB umpires kick dirt from in front of second base after a runner has slid in. Those guys want that edge of the base clean. Nobody wants to see the runner slide into a pile of dirt and not be touching the base.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I will kick a base, but I will never carry a brush to clean a base or the rubber. The softball guys tend to love to clean those all the time!!

I will also never work to fix a base or clean out the post, thats the home teams job, not mine.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You either don't understand humor or have never met Jim. Pompous? No. Opinionated? Yes. But unlike some who post here who claim to be experts on everything about umpiring, he can back it up. And he does so with humor and good natured self deprecation.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:53pm

Yeah, well Evans must have forgotten what it's like to umpire on fields with tons of loose dirt that completely obliterates the bases.

Hey, I don't have to like the same people that anyone else does. Something, and I can't put my finger on it precisely, has always irritated me about him.