The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Covering for another

This off-shoot might have been a bit too buried at the end of another long thread, so was wondering if could get some more diverse opinion on what the expected fee could be for doing one whistle for a game regularly scheduled for two (or two for a three-whistle game).

Granted, upper-levels might be easier to make a crew whole with subs, but even there, not always.

[Thanks, BillyM for the CT note on going solo -- "Remind game administrator that your fee is a “game and a half” fee."]

Is this reasonable to expect, even if it's wreck or park district ball (especially since the $$ had been designated for more than one official)? Would like to know what "leverage" can be expected here, if any. Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:29am
Ch1town

Around these parts, if we don't contact our partner & the school prior to the assignment we don't get the game & a half fee. I always confirm assignments by email to make sure that I have a record of the confirmation.

On the wreck/youth side, I only have one assignor who requires that officials confirm with partners.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

The non-high school games that I work generally pay 1.5 times for solo. In fact, in two of the leagues, the pay is specifically spelled out in the rules.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Around here, rec ball solo is game fee and a half. This is when there are 2 scheduled officials (some of the very young leagues around here only schedule 1 official for those games and pay less). You should probably check with your assignor and make sure he/she has this straigntened out with the league so you have a definite answer. Some leagues even have websites with this specifically mentioned and I carry a printout of their rules with me in case it happens. It's bad enough to have to work a game by yourself, and I wouldn't want to add "haggling with a coach about a game fee" to my list of pre-game responsibilities.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:45am
Courageous When Prudent

My HS association you get paid your game fee plus 1/4 for each quarter you worked solo. 4 quarters = 4/4.

All other assignors I work for (Rec/AAU/Military) if I work an entire game or half by myself I expect to get paid 2 or 1 1/2 game fees.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

in CA -- its 1.5 times the game fee by rule -- but the one or two times i have worked alone the schools pay the double rate.

I dont do wreck leagues anymore but when I did it had to be double pay or I wouldnt do it -- same for youth. I dont see why I should get paid any less than what its worth. Covering twice the floor, taking ALL the abuse instead of just half, and dealing with all the issues and problems that comes with a standard game.

Thats just my philosophy -- however in HS I accept the 1.5 -- thats my only exception.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Most schools will give you double rate for the lower games. However they are not required to do so. In PA a couple of years ago a couple of refs got caught double booking themselves on junior high games. One would show up one game and one on the other. PA took the stance that schools do not have to pay a double fee or anything extra if they don't want to. Most do though. In return, you as an official can choose not to ref a single whistle game. So you would put them in a tough position but then if you did this good luck ever working there again. As for the varsity level. All varsity games have 3 if a official doesn't show we use a JV official.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Normal game fee x 1.5 for running solo around these parts . . . SE Texas.