The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Question Ejection Question.....your opinion...

It hasn't happen to any of my players (when I was a coach) thankfully......however I have seen this happen several times in ALL sports....basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. We are usually talking about teenagers or younger.

Situation....player barks something at referee/umpire......official says to player one more word and you're gone......player then says something like "Yes Sir" or "OK" in a resigning tone......RESULT: Player gets tossed!!

I've seen it happen and had it happen to me (when umping) and I won't toss a player for that. I asked one fellow ump why he tossed the kid.....ump told me, "I told him one more word and he's gone. He said "OK" so I tossed him".

Am I too easy on these kids? If they give me trouble again....God Bless Them....but they rarely do.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Properly trained officials do not use the expression, "One more word and you're gone." You have observed the reason.

With proper instruction, these officials will learn to say, "that's enough," or something similar.

Of course, the barking alone might warrant an ejection: it's a myth that a warning is required before an ejection.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
It hasn't happen to any of my players (when I was a coach) thankfully......however I have seen this happen several times in ALL sports....basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. We are usually talking about teenagers or younger.

Situation....player barks something at referee/umpire......official says to player one more word and you're gone......player then says something like "Yes Sir" or "OK" in a resigning tone......RESULT: Player gets tossed!!

I've seen it happen and had it happen to me (when umping) and I won't toss a player for that. I asked one fellow ump why he tossed the kid.....ump told me, "I told him one more word and he's gone. He said "OK" so I tossed him".

Am I too easy on these kids? If they give me trouble again....God Bless Them....but they rarely do.
I echo MB, as an official you do not "lock yourself in" by saying "one more word" as that is a threat.

The proper terminolgy as MB eluded to is to say "That's enough" or something similar.

As for the barking that's a HTBT situation and depends upon what type of "barking" is going on because in general terms most will simply ignore (again depends upon the type of barking you are referring to) the FIRST bark.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I am reminded of a story I heard in the 60's that could be fact and could be fiction.

In the version I heard, Augie Donatelli was embroiled in a bill to bill discussion with a batter over a called strike three when the batter flung his bat straight upward in disgust. Augie immediately told him, "If that bat comes down, you're outa here."

Strangely enough, the bat did come down.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Mon Sep 28, 2009 at 02:58pm.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 02:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I am reminded of a story I heard in the 60's that could be fact and could be fiction.

In the version I heard, Augie Donatelli was embroiled in a bill to bill discussion with a batter over a called striked three when the batter flung his bat straight upward in disgust. Augie immediately told him, "If that bat comes down, you're outa here."

Strangely enough, the bat did come down.
Fact. Actually, it was "If that bat hits the ground."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Plain and simple. That is called Baiting a Player.

It is disrepectful and very non-professional. Usually a sign of an inexperienced official trying to demonstrate his authority to anyone around him. The type of official that gives all the others a bad rap.

As already stated here , two simple words are sufficient. "Thats enough" or if bad enough, "Good Bye"
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Great Response

Thanks guys....now that I think of it, "That's enough" is by far the best response. I have heard it used and it is VERY effective. I will try to make sure that's the one I use when needed.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Kheisner, I couple a stern 'thats enough, coach' or 'thats enough, catch' with my hand out in the 'stop sign' gesture. Works everytime. Also, my mask is off when I do this. I never give warnings with my mask on, because the gesture of 'ripping off my mask' is very dramatic....LOL.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

I'm a fan of "That's enough" as well. This fall I had a play at the plate to end an inning where I called the runner out. The head coach at 3B came to me to argue. I told him I had his runner out and he headed back for the 1B dugout. I would usually go to the 1B line since his team was going to the field, but I went to the 3B line this time. He got to the dugout and decided to keep it up, telling me that I "Didn't see the play all the way through". I simply put my hand up and told him "I called him out, that's enough", which got him back in the dugout.

The "One more word and you're gone" crap is ridiculous. I would be livid if I were a coach and an umpire ever used that one.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

"That's enough coach"

" Coach, it's time to play ball we're done discussing this play"

" Coach, I saw it and I'm not changing my mind"

etc etc. all of those accompanied by the stop sign have been effective for me.
Old Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
" Coach, I saw it and I'm not changing my mind"
I don't care for this one. It makes me sound stubborn and belligerent. Usually the question was "Will you get help?" not "Will you change your mind?"

When asked to get help on a routine play, I have used, "Coach, that's my play all the way and I saw the whole thing." Of course, it's important to use this only when it's true.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Let me clarify, "works everytime in my experience'. Your mileage will vary, no doubt.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highest Quality View Post
Nothing works every time.
Leave it to a nothing to know that.
Old Fri Oct 09, 2009, 03:38pm

Bob must be off today.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25