The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

More Fertilizer

The photo is clickable. It is worth it to hear Vin's call of this toward the end.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post

The photo is clickable. It is worth it to hear Vin's call of this toward the end.
Anyone wear a throat protector like Eddings? Don't think I have seen this.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 12:58pm

I would prefer to get hit in the throat than wear a dangler the way he does. That looks like what the coach said to Eddings. Those two strike calls were pretty bad, and I don't know about running a coach for saying "that's bullsh*t" either. Pretty quick on the trigger, considering he kicked the crap out of both calls. My fuse gets longer, not shorter, when I know I've screwed up that badly.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I would prefer to get hit in the throat than wear a dangler the way he does. That looks like what the coach said to Eddings. Those two strike calls were pretty bad, and I don't know about running a coach for saying "that's bullsh*t" either. Pretty quick on the trigger, considering he kicked the crap out of both calls. My fuse gets longer, not shorter, when I know I've screwed up that badly.
Steve, c'mon. Its auto EJ at any amateur level. You allow that crap, even if you missed it, they see that and feed off it. Next time a close one happens that you got right and they give it to you, and now you're gonna toss? To them, you are never right. So anytime they say something that should get them run, it should get them run. Why make it more complicated. There is a way to give more rope, this isn't one of them.

Squash them like f****** bugs.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Steve, c'mon. Its auto EJ at any amateur level. You allow that crap, even if you missed it, they see that and feed off it. Next time a close one happens that you got right and they give it to you, and now you're gonna toss? To them, you are never right. So anytime they say something that should get them run, it should get them run. Why make it more complicated. There is a way to give more rope, this isn't one of them.

Really? Throw someone out from the dugout for merely saying "That's bullsh*t" in the adult league I work in and every game will be a forfeit because you will have ejected everyone, and pretty soon you will be sitting home instead of umpiring. The coach didn't say, "You're bullsh*t." He said "That's." Big difference. You don't eject for saying the word "bullshi*t," because it's not offensive, it's merely juvenile. In kiddie ball, yes. With shaving age players, no.

I've done this job quite adequately for nearly a quarter of a century, and would never dream of kicking an adult player out for merely saying those words in an impersonal manner. Get personal, on the other hand....well, you know.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In school ball, I would agree about an instant EJ. One of the criteria I use is what would I do if that was said in the classroom. The ball field is an extension of the classroom and is a learning environment, so I expect (with some leeway for the competetive environment) behavior that respects that.

However, like Steve opined, in adult or some higher level of travel ball I would be inclined to ignore it, particularly since it came from the bench.

On the throat protector thing, does he have that hooked in the wrong spot?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.

Last edited by RPatrino; Tue Oct 06, 2009 at 07:38pm.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

And so for the college wood bat summer league, if a pitcher says "you are f*cking kidding" in the 1st inning when his throw to 3b after a bunt is not in time to get the force, do you run him? Just want to compare your reaction to mine.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I would run this player, with the response, "no, I'm not kidding". He used the magic words, 'you are...'. Unless the last word is something like, 'great, fantastic or exceptional' you will be run.

Game control is very important in these summer games, and in my experience, if you don't stop the bad behavior right away you could be in for long, uncomfortable games.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I would run this player, with the response, "no, I'm not kidding". He used the magic words, 'you are...'. Unless the last word is something like, 'great, fantastic or exceptional' you will be run.

Game control is very important in these summer games, and in my experience, if you don't stop the bad behavior right away you could be in for long, uncomfortable games.
Ditto. I will also eject for violent disapproval of my call with obscene language screamed within earshot of spectators. Again, the word "bullsh*t" is in no manner obscene. F-bombs and GD/JC/SOB screamed loudly is not acceptable on my ball field. For language like that directed at me, they get run. If it's just out of anger at themselves or the situation, they get a warning, with an ejection if they continue or repeat it later. This of course only applies to 18 and up leagues. Youth ball is a different story.
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

My favorite part of the explaination, "he left at the same time right before..." That makes sense...

-Josh
Old Tue Oct 06, 2009, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
And so for the college wood bat summer league, if a pitcher says "you are f*cking kidding" in the 1st inning when his throw to 3b after a bunt is not in time to get the force, do you run him? Just want to compare your reaction to mine.
Since there's a call to be had at 3B, I'd be in C. Since you used the word "says," I'm assuming it was not heard outside the confines of the field. IF this is the case, he's getting warned, but I'm not tossing. I do not think that "you are ****ing kidding" is on a similar plane as "you are ****ing horrible;" the former is a statement of disbelief whereas the latter is an intentional insult.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

As a life long Giants fan, yes I had Giant's baby clothes, so it is a life long problem, it pains me to say it, but there is no better voice for Baseball than Vin Scully.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post

On the throat protector thing, does he have that hooked in the wrong spot?
Either he does, or I do. I have had one very similar to that for years-I have my throat protector hang from the bottom of the mask(I think it even came with directions)
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Really? Throw someone out from the dugout for merely saying "That's bullsh*t" in the adult league I work in and every game will be a forfeit because you will have ejected everyone, and pretty soon you will be sitting home instead of umpiring.
This essentially says it all.
Old Wed Oct 07, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
As a life long Giants fan, yes I had Giant's baby clothes, so it is a life long problem, it pains me to say it, but there is no better voice for Baseball than Vin Scully.
But if he does have an heir apparent, it's the Giants' Jon Miller. (Everyone should hear him call a game without Joe Morgan weighing him down.)