The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Back in TX, formerly Seattle area
Posts: 1,279
Ejection question

Slowpitch game.

R2, one out. B4 hits fly ball to deeeeeeeeeep CF. R2 leaves about three steps early, comes around and scores. Team B properly appeals.

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.

His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
__________________
John
An ucking fidiot
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Slowpitch game.

R2, one out. B4 hits fly ball to deeeeeeeeeep CF. R2 leaves about three steps early, comes around and scores. Team B properly appeals.

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.

His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
They probably didn't think he left early, either. 'Cuz you know he was on loan for the week from one of the MLB teams.
That's one of the reasons I don't like that game - there are way too many people there on the field who find ways to let me know that they really don't want to be there.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Slowpitch game.

R2, one out. B4 hits fly ball to deeeeeeeeeep CF. R2 leaves about three steps early, comes around and scores. Team B properly appeals.

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.

His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
I'm sorry, I tuned everything out after the first flock. Did you say something after that, John? After that, the person's gone, in my book.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
Well, you could tell the team that you just dumped the Pied Piper and they can now follow him from the ball park.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sierra Nevada Mtns
Posts: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.
LOL

that there is funny, I don't care who ya are.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Slowpitch game.

His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
Sometimes you just can't fix stupid!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 952
You are so right Michael, in the words of Ron White

You can't fix stupid, there ain't a pill you can take, ain't a procedure they can perform.


Back to the OP, that is also why I don't do that game, I know it isn't all like that, but the few bad apples have spoiled it for me. in JO fastpitch you get enough of them sprinkled in between coaches and dads but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
You are so right Michael, in the words of Ron White

You can't fix stupid, there ain't a pill you can take, ain't a procedure they can perform.


Back to the OP, that is also why I don't do that game, I know it isn't all like that, but the few bad apples have spoiled it for me. in JO fastpitch you get enough of them sprinkled in between coaches and dads but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
From Ron again with a twist, the player(s) had the right to remain silent, they just didn't have the ability.

I also stopped umpiring the AAL for many of the same reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
Wimps!

IMO, AA is quite managable. The fact that they get to you means they win.

When they act like children, treat them like children. Let them rant and rave and when they are done, just smile and say goodbye.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:16am
SRW SRW is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 1,342
I think that the ejection was warranted. Especially since I know a little more of what happened than what bkbjones has told us here.

I also think that doing both SP and FP together in a season is a benefit to the individual umpire. If the umpire can handle the attitudes, mouths and egos in the SP game, then the youth FP game is a piece of cake. After dealing with Bubba on Friday night with two beers and a vodka-Red Bull in him, Saturday morning with Mr. Sunglasses and his girls is a walk in the park.
__________________
We see with our eyes. Fans and parents see with their hearts.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Wimps!

IMO, AA is quite managable. The fact that they get to you means they win.

When they act like children, treat them like children. Let them rant and rave and when they are done, just smile and say goodbye.
I agree with Mike here. I think that, as a group, we umpires do it to ourselves by not addressing the situations as they present themselves. I hear a lot of fussing over balls and strikes, which is explicitly against the rules of any organization I've ever called for. We have the means with which to address it, the rule book backing us up, and yet, there are umpires who just let it go. Those umpires do NOT do the rest of us any favors, as the teams have now learned that they can get away with it. This makes our jobs that much more difficult when there are those of us who DO follow the rules as they are intended - to keep the peace in an impartial manner.

Last night, I called with a guy who was proud of the fact that in 20-some years of calling ball at various levels, he'd never ejected a single person. Reading between the lines: "I just made it harder for you, Dave."

A warning or an ejection does not have to be, nor should be, a display. On the website I'm working on, it goes into a bit of detail on this subject. If you've got teams being vocal about the balls and strikes, pull the coach/captain aside between innings and calmly say, "coach, there will be no more of this. This is a team warning, please let your players know." Quiet, subtle, no one's embarrassed or singled out, and the situation is usually addressed. If someone doesn't get the message, pull the coach aside and let them know a player just threw themselves out.

I don't like paperwork, either, but I don't let that stand in the way of doing my job. When an ejection is warranted, it's done without passion, hesitation or prejudice.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

I also think that doing both SP and FP together in a season is a benefit to the individual umpire. If the umpire can handle the attitudes, mouths and egos in the SP game, then the youth FP game is a piece of cake. After dealing with Bubba on Friday night with two beers and a vodka-Red Bull in him, Saturday morning with Mr. Sunglasses and his girls is a walk in the park.
That pretty much sums up my thinking and experience...

I work 4 different SP leagues here in town and my reputation is working it's way through the leagues.

I'm willing to talk about calls I've made or didn't make , the operative word is talk. I eject when appropriate and walk away when appropriate.

I got ,what I considered a compliment, from a manager of a higher end SP team. He told me I have the players confused. I replied "huh". He replied "They don't have any
experience dealing with a real umpire." Hurray for me but not so good for the general state of SP umps in our area.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I think that the ejection was warranted. Especially since I know a little more of what happened than what bkbjones has told us here.
.
I dont think its even necessary to know more of what happened.....the line was already crossed..goodbye...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I dont think its even necessary to know more of what happened.....the line was already crossed..goodbye...
I gotta think bkbjones was being a mite bit sarcastic asking our opinion on if the ejection was warranted.

From the descripition the R2 gave himself several chances to be ejected.

the ejection,IMO, was a no brainer....
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
the ejection,IMO, was a no brainer....
along with the player
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ejection question thumpferee Baseball 18 Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18am
NCAA Ejection Question... Mwanr1 Basketball 1 Wed Dec 12, 2007 08:01pm
ejection question coach2535 Baseball 7 Mon Jun 18, 2007 02:02pm
Ejection Question? Kaliix Baseball 8 Wed Jun 29, 2005 08:31pm
ejection? John Schaefferkoetter Basketball 3 Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:02am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1