The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Ejection question

Slowpitch game.

R2, one out. B4 hits fly ball to deeeeeeeeeep CF. R2 leaves about three steps early, comes around and scores. Team B properly appeals.

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.

His teammates felt an ejection wasn't warranted. What is your opinion?
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Slowpitch game.

R2, one out. B4 hits fly ball to deeeeeeeeeep CF. R2 leaves about three steps early, comes around and scores. Team B properly appeals.

In the next 30 seconds, the former R2 lays five flocks, three motor flockers, at least two cough sufferers and with peter point in my face tells me that he is going to kick my donkey.

They probably didn't think he left early, either. 'Cuz you know he was on loan for the week from one of the MLB teams.
That's one of the reasons I don't like that game - there are way too many people there on the field who find ways to let me know that they really don't want to be there.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Slowpitch game.

I'm sorry, I tuned everything out after the first flock. Did you say something after that, John? After that, the person's gone, in my book.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, you could tell the team that you just dumped the Pied Piper and they can now follow him from the ball park.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

LOL

that there is funny, I don't care who ya are.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Slowpitch game.

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid!
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

You are so right Michael, in the words of Ron White

You can't fix stupid, there ain't a pill you can take, ain't a procedure they can perform.

Back to the OP, that is also why I don't do that game, I know it isn't all like that, but the few bad apples have spoiled it for me. in JO fastpitch you get enough of them sprinkled in between coaches and dads but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
You are so right Michael, in the words of Ron White

You can't fix stupid, there ain't a pill you can take, ain't a procedure they can perform.

Back to the OP, that is also why I don't do that game, I know it isn't all like that, but the few bad apples have spoiled it for me. in JO fastpitch you get enough of them sprinkled in between coaches and dads but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
From Ron again with a twist, the player(s) had the right to remain silent, they just didn't have the ability.

I also stopped umpiring the AAL for many of the same reasons.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED
but IMO it is managable, those types of players are just something my blood pressure doesn't need to deal with!
Wimps!

IMO, AA is quite managable. The fact that they get to you means they win.

When they act like children, treat them like children. Let them rant and rave and when they are done, just smile and say goodbye.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I think that the ejection was warranted. Especially since I know a little more of what happened than what bkbjones has told us here.

I also think that doing both SP and FP together in a season is a benefit to the individual umpire. If the umpire can handle the attitudes, mouths and egos in the SP game, then the youth FP game is a piece of cake. After dealing with Bubba on Friday night with two beers and a vodka-Red Bull in him, Saturday morning with Mr. Sunglasses and his girls is a walk in the park.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Wimps!

IMO, AA is quite managable. The fact that they get to you means they win.

When they act like children, treat them like children. Let them rant and rave and when they are done, just smile and say goodbye.
I agree with Mike here. I think that, as a group, we umpires do it to ourselves by not addressing the situations as they present themselves. I hear a lot of fussing over balls and strikes, which is explicitly against the rules of any organization I've ever called for. We have the means with which to address it, the rule book backing us up, and yet, there are umpires who just let it go. Those umpires do NOT do the rest of us any favors, as the teams have now learned that they can get away with it. This makes our jobs that much more difficult when there are those of us who DO follow the rules as they are intended - to keep the peace in an impartial manner.

Last night, I called with a guy who was proud of the fact that in 20-some years of calling ball at various levels, he'd never ejected a single person. Reading between the lines: "I just made it harder for you, Dave."

A warning or an ejection does not have to be, nor should be, a display. On the website I'm working on, it goes into a bit of detail on this subject. If you've got teams being vocal about the balls and strikes, pull the coach/captain aside between innings and calmly say, "coach, there will be no more of this. This is a team warning, please let your players know." Quiet, subtle, no one's embarrassed or singled out, and the situation is usually addressed. If someone doesn't get the message, pull the coach aside and let them know a player just threw themselves out.

I don't like paperwork, either, but I don't let that stand in the way of doing my job. When an ejection is warranted, it's done without passion, hesitation or prejudice.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

In a nutshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

I also think that doing both SP and FP together in a season is a benefit to the individual umpire. If the umpire can handle the attitudes, mouths and egos in the SP game, then the youth FP game is a piece of cake. After dealing with Bubba on Friday night with two beers and a vodka-Red Bull in him, Saturday morning with Mr. Sunglasses and his girls is a walk in the park.
That pretty much sums up my thinking and experience...

I work 4 different SP leagues here in town and my reputation is working it's way through the leagues.

I'm willing to talk about calls I've made or didn't make , the operative word is talk. I eject when appropriate and walk away when appropriate.

I got ,what I considered a compliment, from a manager of a higher end SP team. He told me I have the players confused. I replied "huh". He replied "They don't have any
experience dealing with a real umpire." Hurray for me but not so good for the general state of SP umps in our area.
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I think that the ejection was warranted. Especially since I know a little more of what happened than what bkbjones has told us here.
I dont think its even necessary to know more of what happened.....the line was already crossed..goodbye...
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
I dont think its even necessary to know more of what happened.....the line was already crossed..goodbye...
I gotta think bkbjones was being a mite bit sarcastic asking our opinion on if the ejection was warranted.

From the descripition the R2 gave himself several chances to be ejected.

the ejection,IMO, was a no brainer....
Old Tue Jun 03, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
the ejection,IMO, was a no brainer....
along with the player