The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 19, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating Literature

I'm always looking for new ways to improve my officiating. As I was going through my mail today, I saw my monthly chemistry news and research magazine. {insert chemist jokes here} I'm a chemist so I think it's ok that I get those types of magazines I then started to think that I don't get any officiating magazines (besides the NFHS Officiating Quarterly). Do you all get any magazines that you believe are beneficial?

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Referee magazine is the only one I know of. It comes with a NASO membership, which also gives me a million or two of liability insurance (my primary reason for subscribing).
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I'm always looking for new ways to improve my officiating. As I was going through my mail today, I saw my monthly chemistry news and research magazine. {insert chemist jokes here} I'm a chemist so I think it's ok that I get those types of magazines I then started to think that I don't get any officiating magazines (besides the NFHS Officiating Quarterly). Do you all get any magazines that you believe are beneficial?

-Josh
The NASO membership is the way to go. It offers not only the insurance and Referee Magazine, but they give you a 50 percent off card for all Marriott hotels. Each year, I use that card once or twice, and in one weekend, I can save enough to pay for the membership for several years. The savings from that hotel discount card is over $1000 since I originally joined NASO three years ago. (I stayed at a Marriott in San Francisco during Christmas week once for $47.)

If you never make an insurance claim, which most of us never do, your money doesn't just disappear like with all other insurance. You actually get something this way.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
If you never make an insurance claim, which most of us never do, your money doesn't just disappear like with all other insurance. You actually get something this way.
FYI: I looked at the NASO site this morning, and my browser blocked access. Apparently, at least 4 Chinese spammers have hacked the site and loaded it with malware, which can download and install itself on your computer when you merely visit the site.

Also: insurance premiums do not "disappear." They're not an investment, which "pay off" only when you file a claim. They protect you from risk, a concept that many people do not understand (or they would buy more insurance).

And: the insurance premium portion of your NASO membership fee does not pay for your magazine subscription or other benefits of membership, so your premium does not "get something" for you other than liability insurance. Bundling other goods with insurance does not make the insurance more or less valuable.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
FYI: I looked at the NASO site this morning, and my browser blocked access. Apparently, at least 4 Chinese spammers have hacked the site and loaded it with malware, which can download and install itself on your computer when you merely visit the site.

Also: insurance premiums do not "disappear." They're not an investment, which "pay off" only when you file a claim. They protect you from risk, a concept that many people do not understand (or they would buy more insurance).

And: the insurance premium portion of your NASO membership fee does not pay for your magazine subscription or other benefits of membership, so your premium does not "get something" for you other than liability insurance. Bundling other goods with insurance does not make the insurance more or less valuable.
I'm sorry; you're right. I should not have said all insurance. I should have said, "When you don't make a claim, like most of us never do, your money doesn't just disappear like with auto insurance, health insurance, home insurance, fire insurance and most other insurance."

And if, like you say, "[Insurance] protect[s] you from risk, a concept that many people do not understand (or they would buy more insurance)," why are so many legitimate claims routinely denied? There are some forms of insurance that represent some of the biggest frauds in our society.

And bundling it with something useful and worthwhile like the Marriott discount card doesn't make the insurance more valuable--something I never stated--it makes it worth purchasing, because by using the card, you actually get a return on the original expense, unlike with most insurance.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Sep 20, 2009 at 12:07pm.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Are you an insurance agent? I appreciate the need for insurance, but I wouldn't call it an investment. I've been driving for 31 years and have never collected on a claim. I had one homeowners claim when part of tree fell on my garage during a storm, causing minor damage. After the deductible, I received $270 and was promptly dropped by my carrier. Then, I had to pay a much higher rate with the one carrier who I could find to cover my home because I had made a claim in the last 3 years. More a racket than an investment in my opinion. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I used to get referee magazine and I guess it was OK, but nothing that I felt provided real useful information. The best resources I have found are working with veteran officials and yes, online forums.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I remember this one guitarist I worked with, who rode a motorcycle and didn't own a home, but rented a fabulous rent-control apartment in Santa Monica. He self-insured. He paid a bare liability on his motorcycle, but banked every cent he would have otherwise paid for health, vehicle, homeowner's, fire, flood, earthquake, renter's and all the other insurance that we pay $24,000-to-$26,000 per year for. He didn't trust an insurance policy to pay $hit if he filed a claim. He had stories ... man, did he have stories. He used to brag about how he would be a millionaire just on the money he saved from paying premiums that would just disappear. He even showed me a box that he was filling with Krugerrands that he was buying with all the would-be insurance premiums. That was in the early-80s.

Now, he has a townhouse in Newport Beach and a townhouse on a golf course in Scottsdale, two of the most beautiful Harleys imaginable, season tickets to the Angels and Lakers, and several other compelling symbols of disposable wealth. And he's the picture of health. The reason that he only owns townhouses, rather than mansions, is that he pays for all that stuff in cash. He's 51 and has been retired for about seven years and has virtually no monthly payments. (I suppose he insures his condos, but you never know.)

I dutifully pay my thousands in premiums each year like I am almost required to do. But, after doing so for over 30 years, I am still waiting to see an insurance company actually handle one of my few claims responsibly.
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Have a daugter lifeflighted to a trauma center after a major automobile accident, and suddenly insurance seems like a good deal. YMMV....
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I heartily wish her a full recovery and you peace of mind and spirit. I can't imagine.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11 View Post
Have a daugter lifeflighted to a trauma center after a major automobile accident, and suddenly insurance seems like a good deal. YMMV....
My son was taken to trauma center after car he was driving was T BONE in the driver side door, car ended up upside down in ditch. He was very lucky to survive, especially with just cuts and bruises and was released after about 8 hours of testing, stitching, etc. Bill would have been about $15k for 8 hours until insurance company stepped in and paid "reasonable".

Experienced two hurricanes in 5 weeks back in 96, insurance company paid for a roof, twice. They tried to say we did not get the first repair done, but we had pictures and bills so they paid again.

Had a car paid for when it caught on fire due to grass fire underneath.

Not having insurance for some things is just gambling. Some win, some lose. I would not dare umpire without liability insurance. Medical is covered by my choice to choose what is available from my employer.

Last edited by DG; Mon Sep 21, 2009 at 09:33pm.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
I heartily wish her a full recovery and you peace of mind and spirit. I can't imagine.
Thank you, Kevin, but thankfully it was 10 years ago next month. It was quite a trying time, and something I wouldn't wish on an enemy. She has made a remarkable recovery, although she carries a lot of scars from the wreck itself and the subsequent surgeries that night. God is good.
Old Mon Sep 21, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Not having insurance for some things is just gambling. Some win, some lose. I would not dare umpire without liability insurance.
Nor would I. We're in the position of needing to have it. To self-insure, you pretty much have to be a single, motorcycle-riding guitarist. Talk about risk-takers.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11 View Post
Thank you, Kevin, but thankfully it was 10 years ago next month. It was quite a trying time, and something I wouldn't wish on an enemy. She has made a remarkable recovery, although she carries a lot of scars from the wreck itself and the subsequent surgeries that night. God is good.
Whether our loved ones will arrive safely every time they go out on the road is an emotional high-wire act that we all deal with. When it's our little girl ... I just don't know what to say, brother.

But, you're right, life is good.

Smarter, stronger, better. (That's an old saying that a mentor of mine said in reference to the effects of overcoming tragedy.)
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Smarter, stronger, better. (That's an old saying that a mentor of mine said in reference to the effects of overcoming tragedy.)
I thought it was from the opening of "The Bionic Man."
Old Wed Sep 23, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I thought it was from the opening of "The Bionic Man."
Is that where he got it? ... Either way, that's pretty funny.