View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 20, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
FYI: I looked at the NASO site this morning, and my browser blocked access. Apparently, at least 4 Chinese spammers have hacked the site and loaded it with malware, which can download and install itself on your computer when you merely visit the site.

Also: insurance premiums do not "disappear." They're not an investment, which "pay off" only when you file a claim. They protect you from risk, a concept that many people do not understand (or they would buy more insurance).

And: the insurance premium portion of your NASO membership fee does not pay for your magazine subscription or other benefits of membership, so your premium does not "get something" for you other than liability insurance. Bundling other goods with insurance does not make the insurance more or less valuable.
Are you an insurance agent? I appreciate the need for insurance, but I wouldn't call it an investment. I've been driving for 31 years and have never collected on a claim. I had one homeowners claim when part of tree fell on my garage during a storm, causing minor damage. After the deductible, I received $270 and was promptly dropped by my carrier. Then, I had to pay a much higher rate with the one carrier who I could find to cover my home because I had made a claim in the last 3 years. More a racket than an investment in my opinion. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

I used to get referee magazine and I guess it was OK, but nothing that I felt provided real useful information. The best resources I have found are working with veteran officials and yes, online forums.