The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Earrings and a ponytail.

Nothing better than an umpire trainer with two earrings and a ponytail.

YouTube - Umpire Training 2007
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

I love how he asks for F6 or F4 to "Show me the ball" on a steal attempt.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Bizarro.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Nothing better than an umpire trainer with two earrings and a ponytail.

YouTube - Umpire Training 2007

Are you concerned at all with what he's teaching these young umpires, or are you just bigoted against anyone that differs from your appearance?

Tim.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Are you concerned at all with what he's teaching these young umpires, or are you just bigoted against anyone that differs from your appearance?

Tim.
An umpire with a ponytail and or one or more earrings looks even dumber than any other guy with the same appearance. that is the first thing he is teaching young umpires-it is ok to look like a goof on the field. It is exact opposite of what young umpires need to learn first. Young umpires who look like they are supposed to look have taken a giant step. Young umpires taught by this goof have taken a step backwards.

PS That is why I got rid of my long hair over 20 years ago, I realized how stupid I looked.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Sun Sep 06, 2009 at 08:33pm.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

And why are their feet coming together for calls? Odd.

Ponytail? Really?
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
And why are their feet coming together for calls? Odd.

Ponytail? Really?
I noticed that too. On safe calls their arms went out and feet came together. Looks really funny.

The ponytail and earrings don't look very professional, nor do the watches the instructors are wearing while in uniform. I realize they may need to wear them since they're running a clinic, but I can't stand it when partner wears a watch on the field.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I noticed that too. On safe calls their arms went out and feet came together. Looks really funny.

The ponytail and earrings don't look very professional, nor do the watches the instructors are wearing while in uniform. I realize they may need to wear them since they're running a clinic, but I can't stand it when partner wears a watch on the field.
I knew something was weird...The feet! You nailed it.

I had a partner that I worked with for a long time(very good umpire) He was in a hurry one day and forgot his watch. The first batter let go of his bat on a back swing and broke his $250 watch.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 08:55pm

One of the best umpires I've ever known, or you would ever want to know, and would love to be able to assist him by carrying his mask to the plate meeting, wore a long redheaded ponytail and a Fu Manchu. He would likely kick your a$s if you talked that way to his face about his ponytail.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
One of the best umpires I've ever known, or you would ever want to know, and would love to be able to assist him by carrying his mask to the plate meeting, wore a long redheaded ponytail and a Fu Manchu. He would likely kick your a$s if you talked that way to his face about his ponytail.
Sorry, I wouldn't call an umpire who doesn't care about maintaining a professional appearance one of the best I've ever known. It takes the whole package to the be the best.
Old Sun Sep 06, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Two points:

1) At least they are getting training. We run into local group after local group that get ZERO training.

2) With a ponytail and earrings you would not even smell a playoff assignment in Portland (one of the most liberal towns in America).
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 12:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

2) With a ponytail and earrings you would not even smell a playoff assignment in Portland (one of the most liberal towns in America).
Here, in one of the most conservative towns in America, the assignment secretary runs the show, and assigns the people he wants to. The umpire with the ponytail was a CIF finals umpire nearly every year for 25+ years. Being a damn good umpire counts for something, and his hair style was never a consideration, just his talent. Of course, he never wore earrings either.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Here, in one of the most conservative towns in America, the assignment secretary runs the show, and assigns the people he wants to. The umpire with the ponytail was a CIF finals umpire nearly every year for 25+ years. Being a damn good umpire counts for something, and his hair style was never a consideration, just his talent. Of course, he never wore earrings either.
You've never lived in the Midwest, have you?
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
An umpire with a ponytail and or one or more earrings looks even dumber than any other guy with the same appearance.
I'm going to tell you a little story. It's little, so you can understand.

I just received word that I am going to be a 1SG (you want a translation, let me know) of a headquarters company (BTW, not to toot a horn, but I'm 29 years old.) I keep seven piercings and three visible tattoos. The tattoos are in reg. The piercings stay, due to my job, and I have an exception to policy (for you Catholics, a dispensation) to have them.

This is not an issue for my association. I have never had anyone involved in the game, besides an umpire or assignor, ask me about them. I have had, on exactly one occasion, had a manager say that he would not have recognized me but for the tatt on my right arm, and he didn't care.

I can guaran-damn-tee you that whatever needle has entered my skin has not affected my ability to umpire, and since Big Army has blessed off on them, I'm pretty sure it's not a detriment.
Old Mon Sep 07, 2009, 01:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
You've never lived in the Midwest, have you?
The fact that he said that is it rather obvious he has not.

Peace
Closed Thread