The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 04:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Well, I did my first spring league games yesterday. I was supposed to do only two, but I had to stay and do two more. The first two were HS varsity girls. In the second game, A1 dumps the ball into the post player, A2. A2 whips her head around and her ponytail hits B1 right in the eye. B1 grabs her eye and goes down in a heap.

Fortunately, there didn't seem to be any real damage and she stayed in the game. I've worked lots of girls games in the past, but this is the first time I've had this happen. For a while, it was pretty scary, since B1 could have scratched her cornea or something.

Have any of you had anything similar? My partner told me he was playing in a mens league game and one of the opponents had dreadlocks with beads in them. He insisted the ref tell the guy to either take them out or not play. He said he got hit in the side of the head by one of this same guy's beads in a previous game and it raised a welt on his forehead.

Since he is going bald, I asked him if he meant his "fivehead".
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Beads would have to go

In the 2nd example you gave in the mens league, either the beads are removed or he cannot play per rule. In the first,if nothing is in the hair I am guessing it would be just deemed an unfortunate accident. Nothing really applies unless you deem it an intentional act which could be declared unsportsmanlike. Just my thoughts....
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 04:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Girl's cannot do it.

I have seen this several times during the regular season and "off-season" games with boy's teams. Usually the girls know better and you do not see it. But it is always the Allen Iverson wannabe that puts the beads in the hair that forgets that he has to play a game. I never let them play, if they do not like it, so what. I usually tell them, "Girls cannot wear them, why should you?" They usually say nothing after that.

Peace
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Girl's cannot do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I have seen this several times during the regular season and "off-season" games with boy's teams.

Peace
Hey wait, didn't you say....ahhhh never mind!

Old Mon May 05, 2003, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

NF 3-7
The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgment, items such as a player' s fingernails or hair style may constitute a safety concern.
Old Mon May 05, 2003, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder what the signal for "illegal use of ponytail" would be?

Old Tue May 06, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
NF 3-7
The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her judgment, items such as a player' s fingernails or hair style may constitute a safety concern.
Tony -- are you saying the ponytail itself is illegal, or just the beads at the ends of braids or such?

Has anyone ever called a foul for just a ponytail?
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I had a HS game where we had one of the girls wearing a rather long ponytail. During a break in the game, the captain from the opposing team came up and asked if we could do anything about the girl's ponytail. She noted that several of her teammates were hit by the flying ponytail.

About the only thing we could do was to ask the girl to put her ponytail into her jersy (which she did grudgingly).
Old Wed May 07, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
NF 3-7
Tony -- are you saying the ponytail itself is illegal, or just the beads at the ends of braids or such?

Has anyone ever called a foul for just a ponytail?
If the hair itself is a safety hazard, then you can require the player to leave the game until it is no longer a safety hazard. I probably wouldn't resort to this just based on once incident, as described by Mark. But if it happened a second or third time, I would have to address it with the coach.
Old Thu May 08, 2003, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Were I'm from if we see a player with a ponytail during warmups, we inform the coach that the player needs to tie it into a "bun" or they don't play. Beads, clamps, clips & combs are all no-no's. In fact, if we were to let a player have one of these things on court and it caused an injury, we could be personally lible!