The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 323
Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Watch this LL Umpire

I am headed up to Bristol, CT tomorrow to watch my good friend Frank Ciambriello do the dish in the NJ/Pennsy game. 2PM on NESN/MSG. I have worked with Frank for years; he is a superb arbiter.

Yes, he umps at all levels.

Yes, I know it's LL. Trust me, wtach Frank and you will see the tools worthy of many members here.

Just check out his mechanics, composure and zone you could light a match upon.

I realize but a small pocket of this august group gets these channels, but thought I would relay the info anyway.

Ace Holleran
__________________
There is no such thing as idiot-proof, only idiot-resistant.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,118
Tivo it
Youtube it
Post it


Don't ask me how, though
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 13, 2009, 10:00pm
cc6 cc6 is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 222
Best of luck to him. There is nothing wrong with doing Little League. The hardest game to call effectively can be the 9-10 age division. I won't be able to watch it live, but I would be interested in watching a posted replay. Nothing better than seeing a quality umpire call a Little League game.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Best of luck to him. There is nothing wrong with doing Little League.
No, there certainly is not. Not all of us have time to do "real baseball," so we just do the levels we enjoy working.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Greater Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 611
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Nothing better than seeing a quality umpire call a Little League game.


Other than watching a quality umpire call a quality game.
__________________
All generalizations are bad. - R.H. Grenier
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
I watched some of the regional between the two Texas teams last night. I chuckled at the base umpires all with indicators. Also, six umpires is way too many for that size of a field. Four is more than enough. I suppose they don't want any of them to rotate, so six limits that.

The PU giving the foul tip mechanic on a foul ball was odd too. Also, he was still moving down and locking in a LOT when the pitch was almost in the catcher's glove.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:01pm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The PU giving the foul tip mechanic on a foul ball was odd too. Also, he was still moving down and locking in a LOT when the pitch was almost in the catcher's glove.
Also, did you notice that he was "putting the ball in play" on almost every pitch. Weird.

I'm watching the Georgia v. virginia game right now and the umpires SOMEHOW missed an interference call. Infield hit strikes R2 advancing on the foot. The ball deflects wildly. Six umpires and somehow they all miss it. Two run gift to Georgia; Virginia deflated and out of it now.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
Also, did you notice that he was "putting the ball in play" on almost every pitch. Weird.

I'm watching the Georgia v. virginia game right now and the umpires SOMEHOW missed an interference call. Infield hit strikes R2 advancing on the foot. The ball deflects wildly. Six umpires and somehow they all miss it. Two run gift to Georgia; Virginia deflated and out of it now.
Yes, I did notice that he was putting the ball in play before every pitch. I forgot about that part. Does LL mandate the softball-like mechanics, mainly out calls and strikes? On a strike call, the PU would drop is right foot straight back as he stood up and raise his right fist way above his head. He was also standing up on ball calls and not staying down like he should have. I get the feeling that a lot of LL umpires only do LL and don't get a lot of training.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:50pm
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 21
Training and competence among LL umpires is highly variable. Moving from district to district you get big swings. There are many top-notch LL umpires, but of course there is a lot of dead weight, too. It's all volunteer, as you know, so (as they say) you often get what you pay for. That said, I work with a first-rate group in a district that does a great deal of training. Almost all do high school, men's league, and even NCAA work and volunteer to the local brotherhood. I don't think you find that throughout LL, however.

LL Regional and World Series tournaments are (theoretically) staffed with none but the best. Or so they say. In truth, while District and Regional officials go to pains to select experienced and deserving umpires to work these high-profile tournaments, and in large part succeed, there is also a good deal of politics and personality at play. You don't find that across the board, but enough creeps in to affect the level of work.

To answer your direct question -- no, there is not a prescribed mechanic (as in softball). As with other levels of baseball, there is latitude for -- how to say this ... expressing one's sense of style.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 12:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 503
Posts: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Six umpires is way too many for that size of a field. Four is more than enough. I suppose they don't want any of them to rotate, so six limits that.
You got that right. The few times I've worked on a crew of 4 I got bored real quick if I wasn't on 1B or the plate. Maybe I was doing it wrong, I don't know... For the small diamond I think a crew of 3 is just right. We don't do 4 or 6 in any of our district tournament games.

Like the others said, training and experience varies between areas. In my district we have strong leadership and a group of well trained umpires that grows each year.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 323
Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Yes, I did notice that he was putting the ball in play before every pitch. I forgot about that part. Does LL mandate the softball-like mechanics, mainly out calls and strikes? On a strike call, the PU would drop is right foot straight back as he stood up and raise his right fist way above his head. He was also standing up on ball calls and not staying down like he should have. I get the feeling that a lot of LL umpires only do LL and don't get a lot of training.
You are correct about the training.

Regional (and sometimes WS) umps are never "seen" before they get the assignments.

The"main" WS (12 y-o baseball) has been getting better, IMHO, because it's mandated that umps have to work a WS at another level before they go to W-port. At least these people get vetted somehow.

I was in Bristol yesterday and saw some sharp umps and more than my share of Smitties.

Ace
__________________
There is no such thing as idiot-proof, only idiot-resistant.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
You are correct about the training.

Regional (and sometimes WS) umps are never "seen" before they get the assignments.
That's not true out West here. The guy who has the dish for this evenings NW game is a guy who I've worked with for years. He's been seen by the WR guys for a very long time now. When we'd go out to do sectional and division games the WR guys would be there taking notes. Plus, he's been an instructor at San Bernadino. They know some of these guys quite well. Plus, I can almost assure you that all these guys have been through the one week school, so they'll get a lookover there too.

Kyle
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 185
There isn't any training for umpires in my area at any level to speak of. Take an online test and pay your fee and you can work high school games. I haven't done little league in awhile, but I have worked with some good umps at that level and some horrible ones. I've also worked with some of the worst umpires I've ever seen at the high school freshman/sophomore level. No clue on how to rotate, responsibilities on fly balls, or even where to position themselves on the field. I always pregame with my partners but with some guys it doesn't seem to sink in. I also had a few games this year where my partner showed up about five minutes before game time so there goes the pregame.

I know a varsity umpire who retired from his real job this year so he picked up a few freshman dates, which start at 10am here. He said he worked one doubleheader with a guy who showed up in a blue umpire shirt, untucked, and a pair of carpenter jeans. He said the guy didn't have a clue on the field either. There are both bad and good umpires at every level.

I know that someone pointed out that LL umpiring is supposed to be all volunteer, but the leagues around here all pay their umpires; if they didn't they wouldn't be able to get anyone to work the games. They have enough trouble finding guys with the pay.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 02:41pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 6,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post

I was in Bristol yesterday and saw some sharp umps and more than my share of Smitties.

Ace
They guy they have on the final right now must fall into the latter category. What's up with the artificial called strike timing? Is this supposed to be impressive? It looks contrived and ridiculous. Plus he looks kind of sloppy as well.
__________________
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fort Mill, SC
Posts: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
He said he worked one doubleheader with a guy who showed up in a blue umpire shirt, untucked, and a pair of carpenter jeans. He said the guy didn't have a clue on the field either. There are both bad and good umpires at every level.
This is why I'm happy the games around here are assigned through our organization. No, we're not perfect, but we all dress correctly, and all go with the same basic mechanics. It makes pregame a lot easier, with simple reminders to each other and issues where changes would need to be made.
__________________
Andrew Senger
Webmaster: RefVB.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a new watch Texas Aggie Football 9 Wed Apr 30, 2008 05:40pm
How to watch drh898 Basketball 11 Tue Dec 04, 2007 02:56pm
watch to the end cmathews Football 4 Thu Feb 22, 2007 05:51pm
Hey, watch #24 for. . . . mplagrow Basketball 87 Sat Jan 14, 2006 01:58am
Watch your kid...or ref? zebra44 Basketball 30 Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:24am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1