View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 15, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

There isn't any training for umpires in my area at any level to speak of. Take an online test and pay your fee and you can work high school games. I haven't done little league in awhile, but I have worked with some good umps at that level and some horrible ones. I've also worked with some of the worst umpires I've ever seen at the high school freshman/sophomore level. No clue on how to rotate, responsibilities on fly balls, or even where to position themselves on the field. I always pregame with my partners but with some guys it doesn't seem to sink in. I also had a few games this year where my partner showed up about five minutes before game time so there goes the pregame.

I know a varsity umpire who retired from his real job this year so he picked up a few freshman dates, which start at 10am here. He said he worked one doubleheader with a guy who showed up in a blue umpire shirt, untucked, and a pair of carpenter jeans. He said the guy didn't have a clue on the field either. There are both bad and good umpires at every level.

I know that someone pointed out that LL umpiring is supposed to be all volunteer, but the leagues around here all pay their umpires; if they didn't they wouldn't be able to get anyone to work the games. They have enough trouble finding guys with the pay.