The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

How to watch

I'm having problems and maybe you can help me. When I'm in Lead I have trouble watching, when the ball is in my area, the A player, the B player, any activity between the 2 when a shoot goes up by A, and A's feet, in does he travel or not. When I watch for contact between A & B I've had coaches yell that A is traveling. If I watch the feet I miss the contact.

How do you guys do it? My thinking is I may be too close to the end-line and need to back off to get a broader view. What are your thoughts?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you might be too close to the play. Take a step back or two so you can see the whole play. After that, it is a matter of building habits. A great place to start is by officiating the defense. This will allow you to see if the defender has established legal guarding position and evaluate whether contact is a foul or just incidental. As far as watching for violations, by seeing the whole play, you will be able to pick this up. Not a great complete answer here, but a start I think.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah, btw, coaches will almost always say you missed a travel.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898
I'm having problems and maybe you can help me. When I'm in Lead I have trouble watching, when the ball is in my area, the A player, the B player, any activity between the 2 when a shoot goes up by A, and A's feet, in does he travel or not. When I watch for contact between A & B I've had coaches yell that A is traveling. If I watch the feet I miss the contact.

How do you guys do it? My thinking is I may be too close to the end-line and need to back off to get a broader view. What are your thoughts?
DING DING DING, widen out, get off the endline and you will see more of the play....officiate the defense first, you will get to the point that the travelling call will become second nature to you if it happens without having to stop and stare and go "ok there is his pivot, ok he lifted it, ok there is the shot no travel"....it all sort of flows together after a while...but definitely get wider and watch the play develop..and there is nothing that says you have to have a whistle IMMEDIATELY, let the play happen, let it process in your brain what you just saw (the time to do this gets considerably shorter over time), THEN blow the whistle and make your call...better to make a correct call late than a bad call right on time...
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started an experienced official told me to get further from the line and move to create the best angle. Then - think in terms of looking through the play instead of at the play. When doing this you are more aware of everything instead of focusing on just one thing. It worked great for me.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

This is not at all what I thought this thread was about.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Getting a wider view of the play allows you to correctly call this. It also is important to get help from C/T in these situations.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Deeper and wider, got it. Thanks guys. I'll try it tonight (I've got a double) and see how that works. I'll let you know.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
... and don't be overly focused on travelling. The little ones, well, oh, well. I mean if you see it call it. But if there's close defense and the dribbler goes up to shoot, and it's not obvious, well, you missed it. It's better to miss the occasional travel but get the fouls every time, imo. As long as you do it that way on both ends of the floor in both halves of the game.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
It also is important to get help from C/T in these situations.
I agree with everything above, but also wanted to point to this quote specifically.

If there's one call in basketball that's easier to get the further away you are it's traveling. It has to do w/ exactly what's in the OP - distance which allows you to see the entire play. So, with the officials I've worked with we've often even pregamed that the on call to get in your secondary if you see it - with no worries of your partner being ticked for blowing in their primary - is traveling.

This seems to happen more often w/ C blowing a travel across the paint than anywhere else. That's my experience anyway.

Anyone else have thoughts on getting traveling calls outside your primary?
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:11pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's better to miss the occasional travel but get the fouls every time, imo. As long as you do it that way on both ends of the floor in both halves of the game.
Hmmm. It may be better, but not best. Go after both of those weevils and don't be content with getting the big one. For one team that [little travel] is an important call.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2007, 02:56pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I agree with everything above, but also wanted to point to this quote specifically.

If there's one call in basketball that's easier to get the further away you are it's traveling. It has to do w/ exactly what's in the OP - distance which allows you to see the entire play. So, with the officials I've worked with we've often even pregamed that the on call to get in your secondary if you see it - with no worries of your partner being ticked for blowing in their primary - is traveling.

This seems to happen more often w/ C blowing a travel across the paint than anywhere else. That's my experience anyway.

Anyone else have thoughts on getting traveling calls outside your primary?
I have seen too many bad, long-distance travels called, made by officials that are ball watching. Yes, they may see the feet move, but are they actually seeing that the player is holding the ball rather than fumbling the ball ?
To help a Lead in the post from T [and rarely from C] help with the feet while L is with the contact.