The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Does Little League post their ejection videos online? I'm surprised we haven't seen our daily overdose of ejection videos from the Road To Williamsport tournament.
There almost no ejections at the Regional level on up. LL puts the fear of gawd into adults at every Reg and WS tourney, before a pitch is thrown.

It's been said that former Rockies slugger Dante Bichette was EJed from a game in W-port as he coached the Maitland, FL team in 2005. But the ump had to report DB to the powers that be in the booth, and some LL honcho went into the dugout and had him removed. Need some more facts here.

I'm pretty sure that umps at Reg and WS are discoraged from any traditional onfield EJs.
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Ace...are you sure on that. I've been away from LLBB for four years now, and when I wa slast involved in the whole process of applying for LL regional/WS assignments the criteria for any LLWS assignment was you had to work a regional (plus have attended one of the LL umpire schools). This applied for for Wmsprt. also.
Please let me know if the criteria has changed. I'm just curious. I did my regional (Bristol) enjoyed the heck out of it....but my LL days, for now anyway, are behind me.
To my knowledge this is still the case at every level: Before you can apply for a World Series you have to work the Regional at that level and receive a passing score on your evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Actually, from the box score at Waco, it looks like they assigned all eight. Two outfield umps got three innings and then two others got the last three.
They do this at the Softball World Series here in Portland. I'd say either you're good enough for the championship game or you're not, but that's the way they choose to do it... We did not do this in the regional I worked (Senior SB).
Old Sun Aug 16, 2009, 10:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
There almost no ejections at the Regional level on up. LL puts the fear of gawd into adults at every Reg and WS tourney, before a pitch is thrown.

It's been said that former Rockies slugger Dante Bichette was EJed from a game in W-port as he coached the Maitland, FL team in 2005. But the ump had to report DB to the powers that be in the booth, and some LL honcho went into the dugout and had him removed. Need some more facts here.

I'm pretty sure that umps at Reg and WS are discoraged from any traditional onfield EJs.
Maybe in the 12s, but in the Senior Regional I worked 2 years ago, I did nothing different than I do any other time. If someone had warranted an ejection, he would've been ejected. Never came to that, at least in the games I worked.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Volunteers or Paid LL Umps - Myth?

When I did LL in CT with my dad, way back when, we were both paid for regular season games as well as All Star tournament games State and Regionals. Can someone confirm that the umps are paid or not? Not that it makes a difference in the games, I was just curious, or maybe it does make a difference. Several announcers this weekend made the comment as well that they were volunteer umps. Thanks in advance!
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 10:29am
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't think they're paid a game fee.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

PU: No. Cal v. So. Cal

I thought the plate umpire in the No. Cal. v. So. Cal. game had an excellent zone. The zone was tight, but consistent.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Can someone confirm that the umps are paid or not? Not that it makes a difference in the games, I was just curious, or maybe it does make a difference. Several announcers this weekend made the comment as well that they were volunteer umps. Thanks in advance!

They are all volunteers. If you're from the West Region, you sign a paper that states you haven't taken $ for LL games that year.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
I thought the plate umpire in the No. Cal. v. So. Cal. game had an excellent zone. The zone was tight, but consistent.
I thought he struggled a bit with the outside breaking pitch resutling in some inconsistency.

In the close-ups, he had the look of a an umpire trying very hard to focus and overcome stress. I think he worked hard and performed better than most I've seen so far.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I thought he struggled a bit with the outside breaking pitch resulting in some inconsistency.

In the close-ups, he had the look of a an umpire trying very hard to focus and overcome stress. I think he worked hard and performed better than most I've seen so far.
I agree. Had trouble with the outside corner the 1st few innings, then finally seemed to relax & dial in. Trying too hard can mess you up as bad as lack of concentration.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Is the gray ball bag thing a mandate or something in LL? I've seen parts of about three regionals now, and the PU is always wearing heather gray ball bags. They look awful in my opinion.

Some of them also look like they need to buy plate pants. Either their combos are too small or they're wearing base pants behind the plate.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

No mandate for ANYTHING in LL. Cup, mask, shin guards chest protector and a mask. The rest is optional. Oh, the rule books says to carry a rule book, which no decent umpire does.

Yeah, the ER PU looked like a hobo. It was as if his shin guards were trying to escape. "Hey Elvis, try the relaxed fit!". And adjust that mask too, Mr. Flinchy.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mid Atlantic, NY - NJ, again combo or base pants with grey ball bags. I can't believe those pants can last a season with the stress and strain at the knees. But, I'm starting to think maybe the uniforms were supplied. Why else would the New England and Mid Atlantic umpires have shirts that only softball uses where I call. The other regionals had the MLB blue shirts so maybe somebody ordered the shirts with all the logos and screwed up in addition to getting grey ball bags and combo pants. I know, it's a fashion nitnoid. Or maybe the East coast is way ahead in the fashion business.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Very few folks agree with me but, I like the Gray bags with gray pants. As long as they are the same color gray.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I Tivo'd the WR final, and have only had the time to see the first 3 innings. I agree that the guy on the dish had trouble with the breaking ball on the outside corner. His zone was tight, and consistant for 2 innings, and then opened up a slight bit. I thought this caused a bit of confusion. My feeling is that if you are going to be tight in the 1st, you need to be tight until the end.

Another question I had is about the batters stepping out of the box after every pitch. In HS we don't allow this, and I don't recall allowing it when I worked LL. Some of the batters seemed to walk half way to the coach after every pitch. Is this now common place in youth ball?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I remember in years past, on the LLWS, seeing every batter keep a foot in the box.

I remember when they changed the rule in High School...we called a few strikes and the word got around and then they spent time playing baseball instead of Hargroving around.