Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
There's a market for crappy stuff.
Obviously:

Quote:
I gotta tell ya, the maroon is pretty sharp looking with the GD charcoal pants. I got a freebie from them, and I'm buying several for my other crew mates.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
The Honig's basketball shirt you linked is 100% polyester - totally different from the mesh-type shirts that everyone wears now.

What is the difference in the two OC shirts? Either way, I won't buy them. Their stripes on the sleeves and collars are too wide. Their MLB blue and cream are completely the wrong shade. Their jackets aren't too bad. I saw one up close this spring.
That is a football shirt; it has a byron collar and a pocket. There is another 100% polyester shirt which costs $10 more. The link I provided was an economy line football shirt.

Some (many) of you need to take a step back and realize that all of these little things don't matter. Almost none of the players nor managers are going to notice that the OC shirt has wider stripes and none of them are going to care. No one is going to look at some plate shoes and say "gosh, the white vector on the side is just too big." No one is going to say "why is the base umpire wearing Davis brand pants which don't match standard charcoal pants?" I've read on here that some guys have shirts with US flags attached and shirts without flags so that they can match their partner no matter if his shirts have flags or not...I find that very amusing as it doesn't matter at all.

As Kyle said it makes no sense why some of you guys hate on certain color umpire shirts yet wear a shirt of that same color around town all day.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 07:55am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
I gotta tell ya, the maroon is pretty sharp looking with the GD charcoal pants. I got a freebie from them, and I'm buying several for my other crew mates.
What goes around.....
I've got some black pants and a short sleeved white shirt hanging in the closet - and wouldn't they look sharp with a thin black tie, dinner jacket, and a snappy little black beanie?

JJ
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Last week was the first time I got to break out my white shirt (my partner was the guy who advised me that area umpires were using them) and actually heard a couple comments from players that hadn't seen them before. I tell ya, when it's 98 degrees for a 7PM start, I noticed the difference. Made the game pretty dang tolerable.

I definitely take it off and hang it up BEFORE the post game hotdog though.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I have both white's. The one with red/blue trim and the one with black trim. BEST shirt to wear on those HOT sunny days. Plus the open mesh breathes a little.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
That is a football shirt; it has a byron collar and a pocket. There is another 100% polyester shirt which costs $10 more. The link I provided was an economy line football shirt.

Some (many) of you need to take a step back and realize that all of these little things don't matter. Almost none of the players nor managers are going to notice that the OC shirt has wider stripes and none of them are going to care. No one is going to look at some plate shoes and say "gosh, the white vector on the side is just too big." No one is going to say "why is the base umpire wearing Davis brand pants which don't match standard charcoal pants?" I've read on here that some guys have shirts with US flags attached and shirts without flags so that they can match their partner no matter if his shirts have flags or not...I find that very amusing as it doesn't matter at all.

As Kyle said it makes no sense why some of you guys hate on certain color umpire shirts yet wear a shirt of that same color around town all day.
Absolutely untrue. If you don't match, it's noticed. If the shade of your shirt doesn't match, or if you're wearing some cheap, see-through fabric, or some non-standard color--whether it looks good or not--it's noticed. And if you're wearing some attention-grabbing shoes, it's noticed. Salt stains, fading, wrinkles, dusty shoes ... it's all noticed. Not by all, but by some.

At least, that's the way it is where I work.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Let me tell ya, EVERYONE noticed when we rolled out like this.

If you put your ear really close to the monitor, you can hear the calliope music playing.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Their MLB blue and cream are completely the wrong shade.
The polo blue is the correct shade.

And, to put it in perspective, the navy from honings didn't match the navy from +POS which didn't match the Navy from Cliff Keen which didn't match .....

No one seemed to care then.

And, although I watch far less MLB than some of you and I certainly don't pay as much attention to the umpires when I do, it seems to me that they are wearing black shirts with a wider stripe now than they used to. (Having said that, I also agree that OC has gone overboard with the width of the stripe).

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sat Jul 18, 2009 at 09:11am.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The polo blue is the correct shade.

And, to put it in perspective, the navey from honings didn't match the navy from +POS which didn't match the Navy from .....

No one seemed to care then.
True about the navy.

The polo blues that I've seen are darker than any other brand's polo blue. At least the collars and sleeves look right on their polo blue though.

Don't get me started on their cream. I don't even like cream to begin with, but theirs takes it to another level.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The polo blues that I've seen are darker than any other brand's polo blue.
Maybe the other brands are wrong?

Many of them are just the powder blue, with a different trim. I've seen some that are like the powder, but with a greenish tint added.

I think (but I might be wrong) that Honigs came out with the first polo blue. The OC matches that.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

The OC polo blue is much darker, with sort of a gray mixed in, than any other makers. And their navy is also much darker.

By themselves, they're actually pretty good looking. But they don't match any other manufacturer's shirts.

Did I mention what the chocolate shirt matches?

(Hint: What's brown, and sounds like a bell?)
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 10:27am

Quote:
Let me tell ya, EVERYONE noticed when we rolled out like this.

If you put your ear really close to the monitor, you can hear the calliope music playing.

Is that you working the plate?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Absolutely untrue. If you don't match, it's noticed. If the shade of your shirt doesn't match, or if you're wearing some cheap, see-through fabric, or some non-standard color--whether it looks good or not--it's noticed. And if you're wearing some attention-grabbing shoes, it's noticed. Salt stains, fading, wrinkles, dusty shoes ... it's all noticed. Not by all, but by some.

At least, that's the way it is where I work.
How many people notice? After a game if you polled both of the teams as well as the spectators and asked them if they noticed anything about the trim on the umpires' shirts what percentage would be able to tell you that one had wider stripes? And what percentage of them would say that the difference in stripes bothered them?

I never said that shoes with a logo would not be noticed. I said no one would care. No player is sitting in the dugout and saying "I can't believe that guy is wearing those shoes on the field." Of course people will notice whatever color shirt the umpire is wearing but they will not care. It is an umpire shirt and it is fine with them.

Dirty, wrinkled pants with holes is different. You seem to equate that to using a "non-standard color" of shirt. I don't even know how you define a "non-standard color". Wasn't navy non-standard when it first came out? Polo blue had never been seen until a few years ago but not it is common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, to put it in perspective, the navy from honings didn't match the navy from +POS which didn't match the Navy from Cliff Keen which didn't match .....
There were differences in the sleeve trim width also, correct? On a navy shirt the red stripe would be thin but the bottom white stripe would be very thick.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
LAME shirts. why cant we just go with two or three colors not the whole crayola 64 styles
Did you mean lamé?

Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have some OC shirts and other brands, so I can always match my partner.