Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Let me tell ya, EVERYONE noticed when we rolled out like this.

If you put your ear really close to the monitor, you can hear the calliope music playing.
Is that you working the plate?
I think he is the green guy in the background.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The OC polo blue is much darker, with sort of a gray mixed in, than any other makers.

I happened to have both my OC and my Honig's Polo Blue in the car today. Exactly the same color.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I happened to have both my OC and my Honig's Polo Blue in the car today. Exactly the same color.
Perhaps I have an early run of the OC shirts (April of last year), and they've made a correction. Mine are quite a different shade than my Honig's. Interesting.

And yeah, that's me with the plate coat. I was a last minute fill-in, and had to figure out a different getup, which was the theme for the evening. The Lime green guy(?) is Thunder, the mascot for the Lake Elsinore Storm. He had all fly balls to center field (not really). And there is no hard evidence that I did the Chicken dance with him in the fourth inning.

Almost as cool as the Swinging Friar, from the Padres, actually working the fryer at our field. (Notice the granite countertops, how many snackbars/MLB parks can boast that?)
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The original OC polo is a duller shade than Honig's, Smitty, Dalco or Majestic. And in the originals, the piping on the black was narrower, and the navy was a true navy, and the cream was a true cream and the gray was with a standard trim, and the ...

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sat Jul 18, 2009 at 08:42pm.
Old Sat Jul 18, 2009, 11:44pm

Quote:
Perhaps I have an early run of the OC shirts (April of last year), and they've made a correction. Mine are quite a different shade than my Honig's. Interesting.

And yeah, that's me with the plate coat. I was a last minute fill-in, and had to figure out a different getup, which was the theme for the evening. The Lime green guy(?) is Thunder, the mascot for the Lake Elsinore Storm. He had all fly balls to center field (not really). And there is no hard evidence that I did the Chicken dance with him in the fourth inning.

Almost as cool as the Swinging Friar, from the Padres, actually working the fryer at our field. (Notice the granite countertops, how many snackbars/MLB parks can boast that?)
So, at Rancho Buena Vista Little League, you folks are so rich you use 7-man crews for your games?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
So, at Rancho Buena Vista Little League, you folks are so rich you use 7-man crews for your games?
Those were all volunteers. But yeah, we do all right. How about stadium seats from the Big A?

A view from our balcony (I'm workin' the GD stance, thank you)

A two story clubhouse, complete with an umpires changing room, real bathrooms, a professional kitchen, webcams and meeting room. Our own wells for watering the fields. Musco lights. Lighted batting cages. A tree lined view in the outfield. Etc.

All donated by our generous community.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 01:54am

And then up at Fairbanks Ranch, where they make you guys look penniless, where I've umpired Jack McDowell, Kirk McCaskill and Trevor Hoffman's kids, they have one of the lousiest, crappiest, run-down fields with no facilities whatsoever. Go figure.

RBV is a nice area. I used to do Longhorns games (Dave Roberts days) and adult league ball at RBV high.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I have an early run of the OC shirts (April of last year), and they've made a correction. Mine are quite a different shade than my Honig's. Interesting.[/IMG]

Interesting indeed. I think that's about when I got my first set. And, I just recently received some more (within he past month or so). No difference between them -- although Kevin's comment means I'll have to go check the trim, now.

And, I recently ordered some Smitty's -- they were of a completely different color, so I sent them back.
Old Sun Jul 19, 2009, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting indeed. I think that's about when I got my first set. And, I just recently received some more (within he past month or so). No difference between them -- although Kevin's comment means I'll have to go check the trim, now.

And, I recently ordered some Smitty's -- they were of a completely different color, so I sent them back.
I bought some Smitty cream shirts this summer. I liked them at first, but the material isn't very strong (One has a hole in it already) and the fit is odd. I bought a large for the plate, which fits okay, and a medium for the bases, which is too small. I like my Dalco shirts better. I'll get those or the Ump-Attire shirts next time.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
- back by popular demand -

translated - we fired the bonehead who ordered these colors but now we're stuck with them.
bwaaahhh ha ha ha
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

OC changed the trim so that it no longer matches (Or comes close to matching) the other shirts out there. Read his tag line - the owner thinks his concept is the ONLY one & all will change to his thinking. Cost him 600+ shirts from our association when we made the switch to black & MLB polo.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
How many people notice? After a game if you polled both of the teams as well as the spectators and asked them if they noticed anything about the trim on the umpires' shirts what percentage would be able to tell you that one had wider stripes? And what percentage of them would say that the difference in stripes bothered them?

I never said that shoes with a logo would not be noticed. I said no one would care. No player is sitting in the dugout and saying "I can't believe that guy is wearing those shoes on the field." Of course people will notice whatever color shirt the umpire is wearing but they will not care. It is an umpire shirt and it is fine with them.

Dirty, wrinkled pants with holes is different. You seem to equate that to using a "non-standard color" of shirt. I don't even know how you define a "non-standard color". Wasn't navy non-standard when it first came out? Polo blue had never been seen until a few years ago but not it is common.
You're a disagreeable person, so it's only natural for you to also disagree with whatever contention I might make on this subject.

Take a poll ... I simply choose to go along with the accepted practices out of respect for the vocation.

I wasn't equating anything with shirts that don't match. I was emphasizing that, from the tip of the button on the top of one's cap, to the tip of one's shoes---everything matters. The way a patch is affixed to a pocket matters. The way a shirt is tucked in matters. The way slacks fit matters. The way shoes are cleaned matters. Everything matters. It matters to most umpires, some baseball people and a few observers. It also matters to every evaluator and almost every assignor. We had an assignor reject the wider stripe OC black shirts. Another assigner declared at the playoff meeting: "And don't even think of showing up with one of those shirts that doesn't match anybody else's. The ones with the pink buttons like his! Get a real shirt."

It matters, and it will continue to matter to me. If it does not matter to you, go ahead and continue to think and do whatever you wish.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Mon Jul 20, 2009 at 03:42pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1 View Post
OC changed the trim so that it no longer matches (Or comes close to matching) the other shirts out there.
I checked mine yesterday -- the same trim as on the older (about a year) POLO shirts and the same as on the POLO honigs (of a similar age). I'm as confused as anyone why mine seem to match and others' don't.

Quote:
Read his tag line - the owner thinks his concept is the ONLY one & all will change to his thinking. Cost him 600+ shirts from our association when we made the switch to black & MLB polo.
I agree with this.