The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Call this balk?

Runners on second and third, I'm BU in C. Batter steps in box, holds his back hand up for time, and is looking down adjusting his feet placement while my PU partner has his hand up in the Do Not Pitch stop signal. Hothead pitcher (I had earlier warned him about persistent profanity - a rarity for me) winds up and throws a pitch to his catcher, right through the strike zone. PU barks at him about not pitching when he has the "Do Not Pitch" signal up. I'm thinking balk for the quick pitch (OBR 8.05(e)).

My PU did not call it. Should I have?
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Can't balk when the ball is dead. However, he could (should) have been dumped.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Time is out

PU has his hand up: time is out.

I'd warn the pitcher or maybe send him to the bench if he's been previously warned.

I'm not always watching F1 when my hand is up. This could be dangerous.

grrr
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

If you're having a consistent problem with this player it's time to bring the coach in on a conversation with him. If you've previously warned the coach that there is to be no more shenanigans, then it might be time for him to hit the bench. Definitely would have to be there to make this call. This is a very dangerous play and could easily be considered malicious

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

If the pitcher had any form of misconduct previously in this game, he goes immediately. If he just "let one slip," then it's a stern warning and a notification to the coach for sure.

I had it happen both ways, and I reacted differently according to what I read in each situation. But if the guy doesn't go, somebody's going to get dropped, and I don't let things get that far when it comes to malicious crap.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 01:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Runners on second and third, I'm BU in C. Batter steps in box, holds his back hand up for time, and is looking down adjusting his feet placement while my PU partner has his hand up in the Do Not Pitch stop signal. Hothead pitcher (I had earlier warned him about persistent profanity - a rarity for me) winds up and throws a pitch to his catcher, right through the strike zone. PU barks at him about not pitching when he has the "Do Not Pitch" signal up. I'm thinking balk for the quick pitch (OBR 8.05(e)).

My PU did not call it. Should I have?
I hate to break it to you, but the "Do Not Pitch" signal is a thing of the past that was used in FED baseball at one time. At that time, the ball was still alive, it just meant for the pitcher not to pitch yet. Nowadays (for at least 15+ years or more), in all codes, including FED, a hand up to the pitcher is the same as calling Time. You have just killed the ball (and must hold a funeral of course ), and must point the ball back into play each time you do it. And that is why nobody puts the stop sign up during live action anymore, because we are instructed not to kill the ball unless necessary.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 01:36pm.