The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 06, 2007, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Balk Call

Federation Game Bases loaded No outs. 1 -1 count on the batter not that it matters for this play. Left Handed pitcher on the mound steps and trows a fifty five footer to first base ball gets past first baseman and rolls down right field line. Runners from 2nd and third score, runner on first makes it safely to third.

As I am clearing home plate, HC for the defense comes to ask me if the throw should have been a balk.
No coach I have a direct step and throw to first, just a bad throw. Never had the question from the defense before but it would have taken a run off the board.
Old Mon May 07, 2007, 02:43am

Quote:
Originally Posted by radwaste50
Federation Game Bases loaded No outs. 1 -1 count on the batter not that it matters for this play. Left Handed pitcher on the mound steps and trows a fifty five footer to first base ball gets past first baseman and rolls down right field line. Runners from 2nd and third score, runner on first makes it safely to third.

As I am clearing home plate, HC for the defense comes to ask me if the throw should have been a balk.
No coach I have a direct step and throw to first, just a bad throw. Never had the question from the defense before but it would have taken a run off the board.
This is another reason why I hate the "ball dead immediately on balk" rule the FED insists on playing by. In 1956, the OBR changed its rule on this to its current state. In OBR, if the pitcher balks and throws wild, the ball is alive, and all the runners get to advance at their own risk. This should be the rule in any kind of baseball game, IMO.

I might have had to chuckle (or downright guffaw) at a defensive coach begging for a balk call to cancel a run. Funny stuff there, Skip!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25