Thread: Call this balk?
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 15, 2009, 01:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Runners on second and third, I'm BU in C. Batter steps in box, holds his back hand up for time, and is looking down adjusting his feet placement while my PU partner has his hand up in the Do Not Pitch stop signal. Hothead pitcher (I had earlier warned him about persistent profanity - a rarity for me) winds up and throws a pitch to his catcher, right through the strike zone. PU barks at him about not pitching when he has the "Do Not Pitch" signal up. I'm thinking balk for the quick pitch (OBR 8.05(e)).

My PU did not call it. Should I have?
I hate to break it to you, but the "Do Not Pitch" signal is a thing of the past that was used in FED baseball at one time. At that time, the ball was still alive, it just meant for the pitcher not to pitch yet. Nowadays (for at least 15+ years or more), in all codes, including FED, a hand up to the pitcher is the same as calling Time. You have just killed the ball (and must hold a funeral of course ), and must point the ball back into play each time you do it. And that is why nobody puts the stop sign up during live action anymore, because we are instructed not to kill the ball unless necessary.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Jul 15, 2009 at 01:36pm.