The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Call this balk? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53969-call-balk.html)

Paul L Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35am

Call this balk?

Runners on second and third, I'm BU in C. Batter steps in box, holds his back hand up for time, and is looking down adjusting his feet placement while my PU partner has his hand up in the Do Not Pitch stop signal. Hothead pitcher (I had earlier warned him about persistent profanity - a rarity for me) winds up and throws a pitch to his catcher, right through the strike zone. PU barks at him about not pitching when he has the "Do Not Pitch" signal up. I'm thinking balk for the quick pitch (OBR 8.05(e)).

My PU did not call it. Should I have?

dash_riprock Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40am

Can't balk when the ball is dead. However, he could (should) have been dumped.

Rcichon Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:43am

Time is out

PU has his hand up: time is out.

I'd warn the pitcher or maybe send him to the bench if he's been previously warned.

I'm not always watching F1 when my hand is up. This could be dangerous.

grrr

jdmara Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46am

If you're having a consistent problem with this player it's time to bring the coach in on a conversation with him. If you've previously warned the coach that there is to be no more shenanigans, then it might be time for him to hit the bench. Definitely would have to be there to make this call. This is a very dangerous play and could easily be considered malicious

-Josh

Kevin Finnerty Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59am

If the pitcher had any form of misconduct previously in this game, he goes immediately. If he just "let one slip," then it's a stern warning and a notification to the coach for sure.

I had it happen both ways, and I reacted differently according to what I read in each situation. But if the guy doesn't go, somebody's going to get dropped, and I don't let things get that far when it comes to malicious crap.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Jul 15, 2009 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul L (Post 614762)
Runners on second and third, I'm BU in C. Batter steps in box, holds his back hand up for time, and is looking down adjusting his feet placement while my PU partner has his hand up in the Do Not Pitch stop signal. Hothead pitcher (I had earlier warned him about persistent profanity - a rarity for me) winds up and throws a pitch to his catcher, right through the strike zone. PU barks at him about not pitching when he has the "Do Not Pitch" signal up. I'm thinking balk for the quick pitch (OBR 8.05(e)).

My PU did not call it. Should I have?

I hate to break it to you, but the "Do Not Pitch" signal is a thing of the past that was used in FED baseball at one time. At that time, the ball was still alive, it just meant for the pitcher not to pitch yet. Nowadays (for at least 15+ years or more), in all codes, including FED, a hand up to the pitcher is the same as calling Time. You have just killed the ball (and must hold a funeral of course :)), and must point the ball back into play each time you do it. And that is why nobody puts the stop sign up during live action anymore, because we are instructed not to kill the ball unless necessary.