The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Sure looked like intentional interference with a thrown ball to me.

Probably pretty hard to see in "real time".

JM
I have to disagree.

We must distinguish 2 questions here:

1. Did the runner do something that put himself between the thrown ball and the receiving fielder (e.g. run toward F4, slide with his hands up, etc.), with the result that the thrown ball hit him? That's not INT.

2. Did the runner intentionally move in order to contact a thrown ball? That would be INT.

I see this case as no different from the one where the runner goes into 2B standing and gets plunked. Sure, he "intentionally" put himself in the way of the throw, and got hit. But that's not INT, and neither was this.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Only watched B8/T9 last night, but that was long enough to see Classic Joe Morgan:

1. his rant, after the StL 2b had reached in and the ball popped out, about wanting to change the possession rule..and this from a former 2B!

2. And getting just about everything wrong about moving the P in and out of position...

someone here should keep serious track.....
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin View Post
He only gets warm-ups once per inning. So if he comes back to pitch in the same inning he gets no throws.

IN the first sit. You have a clear cut interference when he raised his hand and interfered with the throw. Even if he goes straight into the bag, you have a legal slide but still have int by him raising his hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Only watched B8/T9 last night, but that was long enough to see Classic Joe Morgan:

1. his rant, after the StL 2b had reached in and the ball popped out, about wanting to change the possession rule..and this from a former 2B!

2. And getting just about everything wrong about moving the P in and out of position...

someone here should keep serious track.....
I agree with point #1. But not point #2. But agreeing with Joe Morgan on anything???
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

True story:

Joe Morgan steps out of the radio booth during a Giants game and points at a press box attendant, and says, "You ... go get me a roast beef sandwich." Then he closes the door. The press box attendant gal goes to her purse, and pulls out a ten and goes out the door to the press lunch room. She comes back, gives Morgan his sandwich, which he snatches and turns away and closes the door.

Later, after the game, the woman was seen running after Morgan in the corridor leading away from the press box, saying, "Mr. Morgan, can I please get my five dollars and fifty cents?" His response: "I'm running late; I'll give it to you tomorrow." But for Morgan, when it comes to reaching into his pocket and opening his wallet, tomorrow never comes.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Look at his elbow

I think it was INT. It appeared he stretched/flexed his elbow to extend his hand when his whole upper body was starting to go down. It looked intentional to me.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
Sure looked like intentional interference with a thrown ball to me.

Probably pretty hard to see in "real time".

JM
If he went in standing up (legal) and the ball hit him that isn't considered interference. Stupid maybe, but not interference.

You can keep running to the base after you're out and that isn't considered interference.

It isn't considered interference if he slides into the fielder.

I'm with SDS - that's how slides are taught - on the butt, semi-sitting, hands up.

If you slide legally (and he did) why would you consider that interference.

The fielder has to expect the runner to be there.

And,as a coach I have to consider it from both the offensive and defensive perspectives.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
If he went in standing up (legal) and the ball hit him that isn't considered interference. Stupid maybe, but not interference.

You can keep running to the base after you're out and that isn't considered interference.

It isn't considered interference if he slides into the fielder.

I'm with SDS - that's how slides are taught - on the butt, semi-sitting, hands up.

If you slide legally (and he did) why would you consider that interference.

The fielder has to expect the runner to be there.

And,as a coach I have to consider it from both the offensive and defensive perspectives.
I agree. No INT. Everything was legal and he did not put himself in the way of the throw intentionally. F6 took it for granted b/c regular players usually get down earlier and are much shorter. He got taught a lesson to clear the base more or mix it up and cause the runners to have to think more about what they do. Just a bad play on F6.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post

And,as a coach I have to consider which call gives me the advantage.
Fixed that for you.