The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 01:35am
Administrator

NFHS Rules, Designated Hitter Rule

I am interested in how this situation should be handled in a game being played using NFHS Baseball Rules.

Home Team has ten (10) players. Team H has the DH batter for the player in the third (3rd) spot in the batting order. The player in the sixth (6th) spot of the batting order is injured in the top of the second (2nd) inning and can not continue to play.

Is this a situation where the player who is the DH enters the game to play defense and thereby takes a spot in the batting order other that the third spot?

Ladies and gentlemen, answers please.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

The DH is locked into the 3rd spot.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:29am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ump153 View Post
The DH is locked into the 3rd spot.

Ump153:

Therefore, you are saying move the player for whom the DH was batting into the sixth (6th) spot in the batting order.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

MTD, Sr.,

Both the DH and the player for whom he is batting are locked into the same spot in the batting order.

In your sitch, the HT has no eligible substitute for the injured player and must continue with 8. An out is recorded each time the injured player's "slot" comes to bat.

The only "exception" to this is if the player is injured during an at bat in which he reaches base safely. Then, if there are no eligible subs available, the player with the "last batted out" may pinch run for the injured player.

JM
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

JM is correct.

A word of further explanation. People get confused about the DH because they think of him as a kind of offensive substitute. That's not right: the DH and the defensive player for whom he bats are both locked into a spot in the lineup, and neither is an eligible substitute.

"A substitute is a player who is eligible to replace another player already in the lineup." (2-36) This definition implies that anyone listed in the lineup is NOT an eligible substitute, and thus may NOT bat in another spot in the order.

FED permits a team to continue with 8 in the lineup when an eligible substitute is not available, as JM points out. That said, I'm fairly confident that around here everyone would expect the umpires to bend the rules a little and allow the DH to bat in the spot vacated by the injured player. You know, "it's for the kids, blue," "aw, let 'em play, blue..." etc. etc.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

MTD,

Another way of putting it -- The DH and the player for whom he was batting cannot be in the lineup at the same time.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
MTD,

Another way of putting it -- The DH and the player for whom he was batting cannot be in the lineup at the same time.
Dash, you're undercutting my point: they MUST be in the lineup at the same time, and in the same spot, too, or else one's a sub and NOT a DH.

By 'lineup' I mean what umpires mean, not what players mean. Perhaps that's another source of confusion.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Dash, you're undercutting my point: they MUST be in the lineup at the same time, and in the same spot, too, or else one's a sub and NOT a DH.

By 'lineup' I mean what umpires mean, not what players mean. Perhaps that's another source of confusion.
I wasn't undercutting your point, I was supporting it. Maybe you're confusing lineup (batting order) with lineup card.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree this is the best way to look at it. The DH is a player in the game also, just as the other nine. That's why it is best written in below the player who he is batting for and not at the bottom of the lineup card like so many coaches want to do .

DH is in the #3 spot, he stays there the rest of the game. (if he is in the game) Now he is a substitute and can be subbed for and return once just as any other player, but that's another whole situation.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I wasn't undercutting your point, I was supporting it. Maybe you're confusing lineup (batting order) with lineup card.
OK, I appreciate the support. I don't think I'm confused: the lineup is what is written on the lineup card.

The batting order is, as you point out, the lineup: a DH and the player he's batting for are both in the batting order (or 3-1-4 would not say, "A designated hitter and the player for whom he is batting are locked into the batting order."), even though just one of them bats.

So, whether we call it the 'lineup' or the 'batting order', the DH and the player for whom he bats MUST be in it at the same time.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Never mind. And I know neither of us is confused.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That said, I'm fairly confident that around here everyone would expect the umpires to bend the rules a little and allow the DH to bat in the spot vacated by the injured player. You know, "it's for the kids, blue," "aw, let 'em play, blue..." etc. etc.
Around here no one would expect the umpire to bend the rules. However, I did work a game this year where one team only had 9 to start, one got injured in the first inning. The opposing coach said he would prefer not to have an out called everytime that position came to bat, and we allowed that. Two private schools playing with no conference championship at stake.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Ump153:

Therefore, you are saying move the player for whom the DH was batting into the sixth (6th) spot in the batting order.

MTD, Sr.
Why would you assume such a thing?

No. The two are locked together. Neither one can bat in another spot in the lineup.

Last edited by Ump153; Mon Jul 13, 2009 at 09:47pm.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Around here no one would expect the umpire to bend the rules. However, I did work a game this year where one team only had 9 to start, one got injured in the first inning. The opposing coach said he would prefer not to have an out called everytime that position came to bat, and we allowed that. Two private schools playing with no conference championship at stake.
DG,

Good call.

JM
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I don't get it. You say that where you live no one would expect the rules to be bent. Then you tell a story about a time when the team asked you to bend the rules....