The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Only in Little League

Sent to me by a coach. I am cutting and pasting here.

one out, man on first base. count is 2-2 on the batter. pitcher throws ball 3. batter thinks it is ball 4 and starts to run to first base. the runner on 1st thinks it must be ball 4 also and starts to walk to 2nd. the catcher, knows it is ball 3 and now attempts to pick the runner off at 1st base off since he is moving so slowly. the thrown ball by the catcher now hits the batter-runner and the runner on first now makes it to second. what is the ruling?

Glad I wasn't at the game.

Ace in CT
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran View Post
Sent to me by a coach. I am cutting and pasting here.

Glad I wasn't at the game.

Ace in CT
Me too. Did you answer him?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:30am
Stop staring at me swan.

hard to not have interference here
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
hard to not have interference here
Doesn't say where the "false BR" was. How can that be interference? He might have been well out of the running lane....The catcher kerplunks him in the back? INT? Don't think so....
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 08:47am
Stop staring at me swan.

The post says that he starts toward 1B...would be no different than on a steal of third the batter steps into the catcher's path and impedes his attempt to retire the runner.

What would you call? nothing?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
How can you NOT have INT on batter here?

R1 leaves 1B at his own peril; F2 has every right to try to retire him. How can batter (I can't very well call the kid a batter-runner) impede this without penalty?

Ace
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
Doesn't say where the "false BR" was. How can that be interference? He might have been well out of the running lane....The catcher kerplunks him in the back? INT? Don't think so....
Not sure what you're saying here. You seem to be making to different arguments.

The "B/R" can't be protected by the runner's lane when he's not entitled to advance.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Johnny. If I'm envisioning this as the OP put it, batter interference. Batter (not B/R) out, R1 back to 1st.

Last edited by Forest Ump; Tue Jun 30, 2009 at 09:10am. Reason: Batter can not be called a batter runner.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Ump View Post
I agree with Johnny. If I'm envisioning this as the OP put it, batter interference. Batter (not B/R) out, R1 back to 1st.
Agreed. As soon as he stepped out of the box and INT with F2's throw [even though it wasn't intentional], he violated 6.06(c). It doesn't say how far from the plate he can be for this to not apply. He is still the batter and INT with F2's play.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Guys,

Would your call be any different if it was a dropped 3rd strike with less than 2 outs (BR is not entitled to advance here as well)?
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Guys,

Would your call be any different if it was a dropped 3rd strike with less than 2 outs (BR is not entitled to advance here as well)?
Yes, my call would be different. Now, he runs the risk of R1 being out b/c of a "retired" player causes INT. Basically, in a spot where he is not entitled to run, puts him at risk of being ruled INT and someone is out since a play is being attempted.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

You cannot fault the defense for an offensive player not being where they are suppose to be. You have to call interference on this (in most cases). Depending on the age of the kids however, I might call time right away (before the ball is even thrown) to get the wayward batter back to the plate

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The post says that he starts toward 1B...would be no different than on a steal of third the batter steps into the catcher's path and impedes his attempt to retire the runner.

What would you call? nothing?
(c) He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base.

As you see, this rule only protects the catcher at home base. To apply this rule the act must occur at the plate, not down the line. I've probably got nothing unless the batter did something else besides just run to first. Dont forget the fact that the catcher threw the ball to first? also. Dont reward him for throwing to the wrong base. (R1 was walking towards 2nd) Typical LL play here - time for coaches to do their jobs here......Play on!!
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:40am
Stop staring at me swan.

According to the OP, F2 was throwing behind the runner to F3.

umpjong, I disagree. Batter interference on a stolen base attempt at 2B, 3B there are all kinds of plays where a batter can interfere w/o a play at the plate. I think you're taking one part of a rule and applying all instances to it. maybe not, but it appears that way.
Old Tue Jun 30, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to the OP, F2 was throwing behind the runner to F3.

umpjong, I disagree. Batter interference on a stolen base attempt at 2B, 3B there are all kinds of plays where a batter can interfere w/o a play at the plate. I think you're taking one part of a rule and applying all instances to it. maybe not, but it appears that way.
You misunderstand my point.
The rule clearly states that the batters actions (to hinder the catcher) must take place at "home base". I dont think you will find any interpretation of this rule in the 100 plus years of baseball that would allow you to apply this rule to this particular play.. In fact I would bet on it. That is of course if gambling were legal..