The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think it is necessary to tell everyone who did it.

Let's say F1 is coming set to prepare a pickoff but his F2 wants to change the sign. Now, by pointing at F2, F1 knows where to direct his frustration at.

Or, OM puts on a timing play based on F1's movement. As soon as the play is supposed to happen, batter calls "Time" and the play is tipped off by the runner. Now, the OM knows who to be upset at.

I think it just tells them that the umpire is not the one who is calling "Time" and further adamantly shows to stop play instead of just putting up a hand and hoping F1 sees it before he throws an 85 mph fastball at an unsuspecting F2 or batter.
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
as previously stated it's just to let everyone know who did what in case anyone wants to know. as NOT previously stated, in pro ball it is also for the radio and tv guys. it's not asked for by them, and i don't know if all of them take advantage of it, but some that i have talked to in my travels have brought it up and thanked me for it as it gives them a little xtra information to give to their viewers/listeners.

"time asked for by the catcher."

"they probably weren't on the same page and want to avoid a cross up."

or

"time granted to the batter."

"the pitcher took a little too long there. batter's don't like to wait around for that long and he wanted the opportunity to step out and get reset."

as opposed to

"time called at the plate."
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
.. instead of just putting up a hand and hoping F1 sees it before he throws an 85 mph fastball at an unsuspecting F2 or batter.
There's the problem.

The correct way to call time is two hands straight out, and two crossover steps away from the batter.

If you do that, THEN feel the need to point out who requested time, feel free.
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post

If you do that, THEN feel the need to point out who requested time, feel free.

The reason has been laid out before you. Accept it or reject it, life will go on.
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 05:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
I think it just tells them that the umpire is not the one who is calling "Time" and further adamantly shows to stop play instead of just putting up a hand and hoping F1 sees it before he throws an 85 mph fastball at an unsuspecting F2 or batter.
I don't know about others, because I've seen it happen too often with some partners, but I have never held up my hand to call Time. I always step out from behind the plate and yell "Time" while holding up both arms.

A long time back under FED rules, there was a "Do Not Pitch" signal, wherein the ball was still alive while you held up your right hand in a "stop sign" fashion. They finally changed it to the OBR way which automatically kills the ball when a stop sign is given. After this was changed, the only time I put up a stop sign is to signal that the ball is not ready to put back in play, followed by the point at the pitcher and announcing "Play."
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 10:35pm
Veteran College Umpire

I never point to the party who requested "Time". Never saw a need for it, plus there's that "old dog, new trick" thing that figures in for me...
It's acceptable either way, but I might suggest doing it the way your supervisor wants you to do it.

JJ
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 03:47pm

I just saw Brian Runge do it when the Cubs catcher asked for Time in the middle of the pitcher's windup. He sprang from behind the catcher to the opposite side, called Time and immediately pointed at the catcher. Funny how you don't notice stuff until someone mentions it, then you see it all the time.

Great game, boring Cubs announcers. Give me Harrelson the Homer any day over these stiffs.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 04:21pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I just saw Brian Runge do it when the Cubs catcher asked for Time in the middle of the pitcher's windup. He sprang from behind the catcher to the opposite side, called Time and immediately pointed at the catcher. Funny how you don't notice stuff until someone mentions it, then you see it all the time.

Great game, boring Cubs announcers. Give me Harrelson the Homer any day over these stiffs.
I saw him bail out on a time out and never pointed to either the catcher or batter. Announcers didn't know who called time. They even mentioned it on the air that an umpire will point to either the batter or catcher, but that it wasn't done in this instance. You must have saw something I didn't.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 05:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I saw him bail out on a time out and never pointed to either the catcher or batter. Announcers didn't know who called time. They even mentioned it on the air that an umpire will point to either the batter or catcher, but that it wasn't done in this instance. You must have saw something I didn't.
Perhaps it was a different time. In this case, it was the Cubs catcher who wanted time, and the announcers said there was some commotion in the center field bleachers that prompted the catcher's request. It was in the bottom of the eighth, I believe.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I'd rather listen to Harold Reynolds, Tim McCarver, Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, and Jon Miller all in the same booth than anything involving Ken Harrelson.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 08:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
I'd rather listen to Harold Reynolds, Tim McCarver, Joe Buck, Joe Morgan, and Jon Miller all in the same booth than anything involving Ken Harrelson.
And with the exception of the Cubs broadcasters, I feel the same way.
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

So when the head coach comes out to call time, do we point to him also?

How about the runner after a slide, that calls time to dust hisself off? Heck it could of been the defensive player that called the time, I am sure EVERYONE wants to know exactly who called time. ???????????????

I guess if it works for you and your association.