The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What do you guys think of the new FED time out mechanic w/ both officials (2 whistle) going to the top of the key for the 30 and the away blocks for the full? In more than half of the high school games I have had already this year. You have both coaches looking around asking where the ball is during a time-out. IMO I liked the "old" mechanic of the non-granting official remaining at the spot w/ the ball.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
What do you guys think of the new FED time out mechanic w/ both officials (2 whistle) going to the top of the key for the 30 and the away blocks for the full? In more than half of the high school games I have had already this year. You have both coaches looking around asking where the ball is during a time-out. IMO I liked the "old" mechanic of the non-granting official remaining at the spot w/ the ball.
I always leave the ball at the spot of the foul in 2 whistle. Coaches seem to like the fact that they know where the throw in is
Stew in VA
CVBOA
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

The new mechanic is ridiculous. In two games last night, I was asked in 80% of the time outs, where the ball would be put back in play. As far as leaving the ball at the spot, the mechanic says one official is supposed to be holding it. There is no provision for leaving the ball on the floor.

And while we're on silly mechanics, requiring the non-calling official to inform the coach of a disqualification is also a waste of time. For years, anybody with any common sense, knew that if the circumstances were such that a coach might be pissed about the 5th foul call, you had your partner handle the dirty work. On the run of the mill DQ's, you did it yourself and everything was fine. The NF needs to give us a little credit for being able to know when to get away from an upset coach.

Just my two cents.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not much different than 3 Person.

I see this really as not much differnence with 3 Person. And really anytime I have done a 2 Person game, we did this anyway. When I am doing a 3 Person game, usually the official with the ball, just stands next to or close to the official at the block or top of the key anyway. So for me, this is not an issue, because we never did this the NF Mechanic way anyway (before the change).

Peace
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 05:16pm
Jerry Blum

I have done six games so far this year and to my surprise I have not been asked yet where the ball is going to be put into play. Usually before we go to the timeout or as we are going I will point to where the ball will be put into play but I don't think this is why the coaches haven't asked.

I was really expecting to be asked numerous times throughout the game where we were putting the ball into play just like some of you a saying but it just hasn't happened yet. And I emphasis yet because I fully expect it to be an issue in games to come.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by FC IC
The new mechanic is ridiculous. In two games last night, I was asked in 80% of the time outs, where the ball would be put back in play.
Yeah, but even with the old mechanic, we were probably asked about 75% of the time
Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

We had done this mechanic for quite a wile and we were confused when we went to the one ref at the spot...

Its what you get used to...

You just have to realize the reason they want you there is to get the teams out of the huddles...

Some coaches do ask about the ball, but most know any way... If they ask you know they are setting up a specific play that you'll need to be more aware of since it is spot contingent... If they dont ask well its like the army ...

Old Thu Dec 04, 2003, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
If they dont ask well its like the army ...
We're supposed to paint the throw-in spot?!?!
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Wink I think

that a good coach is going to ask anyway.

He wants to make sure that the play he's calling is right etc.,

The coaches that make me laugh are the ones who spend the entire timeout designing a play and then ask after the TO is over, where's the throw in spot.

Hmmm...

thanks
David
Old Fri Dec 05, 2003, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck

I was tinking more along the lines of they dont ask--- we dont tell