The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
My opinion is similar to F1 taking signs. How in the heck do I know what tapping the shin guard means? For all you know, this "signal" could be anything from communication to a tick - you have no idea!

In short, leave it alone until someone actually comes to you and agrues balls & strikes. Then you can do something about it.
Exactly, who care what F2 thought about the pitch. Even with college kids a lot of them still don't know the zone - just watch some of the CWS.

Now some times early in a game if F2 starts yapping "good pitch" I might tell him, "no that's low" or "that's not a strike" just to help him know what the zone is for "today".

Thanks
David
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I wasn't upset that he did it at all. In my conversation I showed no emotion and did not tell him to knock it off.

My goal, being a rookie to this league (and hence, in their minds, a rookie no matter how many games I've done), was to let the catcher know that I know what's going on and I wasn't an idiot back there. I figured it was a non-confrontational way to solidify myself back there, rather than not saying anything, manager eventually starting in, and me having to deal with it that way.

Any of that make sense? Should I be worried about solidifying my rep. as to minimize potential problems later? What are some other ways I can do this, if this way wasn't a good spot?
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
Any of that make sense? Should I be worried about solidifying my rep. as to minimize potential problems later? What are some other ways I can do this, if this way wasn't a good spot?
I think that you understand that there's an adjustment period for new umpires to adult leagues. One suggestion I would make is to let the catchers know at the beginning of the game that you're open to communication.

I will sometimes say, after introducing myself: "If you think that I'm consistently missing a pitch, please let me know between innings." This approach lets them know that I'm open to discussion, provided that it's discreet.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Wear a leather umpire shirt... your skin is way to thin!
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1)Understood what you were trying to do.
2)No.
3)Call your game the best you can and they will learn what you will and won't call. Also, EJ when necessary and this will solidify them knowing what they can and can't do. Don't worry about what they are signaling/not signaling. Act like you don't even see it. If you get caught up with that little bit, you will miss something even bigger. Forget about it.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Quote:
... What are some other ways I can do this, if this way wasn't a good spot?

Be consistent. F2 was just communicating where the pitch was or where he wants it.

By the way, be consistent.

Did I mention, "be consistent"?
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

First of all don't assume that the players and coach only came out that day to make your life miserable. They are trying to play ball and sometimes can care less about you. Sometimes the best official is the one no one knows is there.

You want respect? Do your job, hustle, work hard to know the rules and get them right, and take care of business when you have to. Otherwise let them play ball.

Just remember, they can say and do anything they want during a game and you can't prevent it. But in the end YOU have the final say. How and what you say at that point will put the icing on the cake.

Sometimes the best call, is none at all.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thanks for ya'lls input.

I'll restate briefly, not an issue of thick skin / thin skin. My goal was to let them know I'm no greenhorn that is clueless. I really don't care ever how players / coaches act - if they act a certain way there is a penalty of EJ that I will impose, but its because of what they did, not my reaction to it. Sounds like this philosophy is one some of you are suggesting, and one I'll make sure to keep in the fore front of my mind as I try to keep moving up.

Sounds like advice to reach that goal is just keep doing my best and respect / understanding will follow as more games and innings go by. No need in trying to force the issue in dealing with small stuff like this, even in the subtlest of ways.

Thanks again, and if these comments are off track with what ya'll are suggesting, feel free to whip me back into line.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Tao of Blue

In baseball participants can do whatever they want, but the umpire decides who is still a participant.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Things like this are how catcher's pass on info WITHOUT showing you up. Most spectators aren't going to notice it, and the catcher still tells a coach what he thinks. Most of the time when I see things like this, it's a catcher that knows his coach is a chirper and really doesn't like hearing it much, so he's indulging the guy. Of course, there are always exceptions. It's just something that comes with continuing to work the level and getting the nuances of the game.

I love working the college summer league out here; it's usually good baseball with guys that have a good grasp on what's going on and are pretty laid back after a tense regular/post season.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Doing the best summer baseball around here, full of kids who play college ball or older guys who never made it out of A or AA.

Here's the sitch - a close pitch that I called ball. Catcher was calling his own game. He throws the ball back, looks into the dugout, and subtly slaps his shin guard.

Obviously, he's letting the manager know what he thought of the pitch.

How would you deal with this?
I would make note of it and that is all. Maybe you blew the pitch, sh*t happens you know. Watch the batter's reaction too. If he looks surprised then that is feedback also. As long as they are not chirpping about calls I could care less what they do, unless I am missing strikes and I hate when that happens.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't have said a thing. There is a decent chance that signal could be a critque of your call. There is also a good chance he could be telling his infielders to shift or something like that.

I used to catch. I'd routinely adjust my gear for no reason.

Personally, I'd let it go. Don't umpire through a microscope.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for ya'lls input.

I'll restate briefly, not an issue of thick skin / thin skin. My goal was to let them know I'm no greenhorn that is clueless. I really don't care ever how players / coaches act - if they act a certain way there is a penalty of EJ that I will impose, but its because of what they did, not my reaction to it. Sounds like this philosophy is one some of you are suggesting, and one I'll make sure to keep in the fore front of my mind as I try to keep moving up.

Sounds like advice to reach that goal is just keep doing my best and respect / understanding will follow as more games and innings go by. No need in trying to force the issue in dealing with small stuff like this, even in the subtlest of ways.

Thanks again, and if these comments are off track with what ya'll are suggesting, feel free to whip me back into line.
There was nothing to "handle." The only opinion that matters is your partner's. Players/coaches generally know squat about umpiring. Their opinions of you (which you don't care about) are based 99% on how you call balls & strikes. Work on the proper use of your eyes and everything else will fall into place.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me: "Does tapping your leg mean good call or bad call?"
F2: "Huh?"
Me: "On that close pitch, you letting your manager know what you thought?"
F2: "Just communicating"
Me: "Ok"

Critiques?
Don't go hunting...

Be cool