The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Suspended Manager

A suspended manager should not be allowed in the press box, right?

I don't think so but was having second thoughts.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

If he's been tossed from my game, the norm is that they have to leave the area. To me that means that they can't see the game and the game players can't see them. With that said, I've always held the view that once a manager is off the field, I have nothing more to do with him. What goes on outside the fence, unless it has a direct bearing on the game, has nothing to do with me.

If a manager has been previously suspended, and shows up for a game to watch, I don't even care. There are "powers that be" that are higher than us umpires. If he isn't suppose to be there, the league will take care of it...especially if someone files a report. I call the GAME, and leave everything else get taken care of elsewhere! If he influences the game in anyway, only THEN do I have a problem and will deal with it.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

pre game suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
If he's been tossed from my game, the norm is that they have to leave the area. To me that means that they can't see the game and the game players can't see them. With that said, I've always held the view that once a manager is off the field, I have nothing more to do with him. What goes on outside the fence, unless it has a direct bearing on the game, has nothing to do with me.

If a manager has been previously suspended, and shows up for a game to watch, I don't even care. There are "powers that be" that are higher than us umpires. If he isn't suppose to be there, the league will take care of it...especially if someone files a report. I call the GAME, and leave everything else get taken care of elsewhere! If he influences the game in anyway, only THEN do I have a problem and will deal with it.
This is a manager who was suspended before the start of the game for prior misconduct. I thought he should not be permitted in the press box where he could relay signals to the coaches on the field.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

At the most, inform league management - they may want to extend his punishment since he didn't abide by it the first time... but I would not extend your authority to trying to have him removed from the box. This is not your problem - ignore it.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
If I knew that he wasn't supposed to be there, I'm not starting the game. Out of my "Sight and sound."

Its definatly a tricky situation. Perhaps if I know that he won't be any problem up there I would just inform the league after the fact.
Old Wed May 03, 2006, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Larry Bowa

From my days of working in the Expo press box, I can remember Larry Bowa, suspended for a few days, picking out a vacant radio booth. He would then make an *** out of himself yelling at the umpires. They couldn't hear him, but everybody else in the press could.
He looked and acted like a 12 year old.