Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
It is the coach's job to help an umpire learn his job? That is such a load of Horse Hockey.

The coach has ZERO responsibility to help the umpire make calls or understand rules.
What part of 9U don't you understand? It's a learning experience for everyone involved - including managers. What I find most reprehensible about the above comment is that it comes from another umpire who thinks it's fine and dandy to take advantage of someone just starting out.

When it's you against the world, bet on the world.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

The Reason for Having Umpires

Paraphrasing Carl Childress:

"The reason for having umpires is to prevent either team from taking unfair advantage of the rules."
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
By that logic, I should be glad there are gangbangers and dope dealers. Without them, I wouldn't have a job.
Do they submit evaluations of you that are included in your overall rating?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
So.............
When performing umpire duties we must display integrity.
When performing coaching duties integrity is not necessary.

I get it now..........
This has always been the case. No coach is there to be your friend unless by pretending so, he can gain a tactical advantage.

If you view all coaches as the enemy, you will not be wrong more than 0.000001% of the time, and you gotta like those odds. A tactical truce is about the best you can expect.

Every single coach who has posted in this forum over the years merely solidifies this basic precept.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
This has always been the case. No coach is there to be your friend unless by pretending so, he can gain a tactical advantage.

If you view all coaches as the enemy, you will not be wrong more than 0.000001% of the time, and you gotta like those odds. A tactical truce is about the best you can expect.

Every single coach who has posted in this forum over the years merely solidifies this basic precept.
And don't forget that umpires are never to blame for anything.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
What part of 9U don't you understand? It's a learning experience for everyone involved - including managers.
BINGO!!!!! This is the absolute bottom line for me in the original situation. Had this been a game played at an older age group, the young umpire hopefully would have had the experience/knowledge to know the rule involved.

I also am of the opinion that umpires, coaches and parents/spectators are absolutely not necessary for the game to be played by young uns. My fondest memories of playing this grand old game was on the sand lot with my 10 to 20 buddies (who ever showed up) and playing all day without adult supervision. (Learned most of my adult words there though) Disagreements on the field were settled by the old free for all......
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
BINGO!!!!! This is the absolute bottom line for me in the original situation. Had this been a game played at an older age group, the young umpire hopefully would have had the experience/knowledge to know the rule involved.
My point is that he was not just inexperienced. He was a lazy, sleazy, cheese eating rat.

It is so ridiculous how much crap a coach gets for one little sarcastic remark.

But, over the course of the weekend, Cell Phone McGhee took HUNDREDS of dollars for a job that he did not try to do well.

And again, he was not a kid, he was an adult.

But, yeah yeah....I should have interrupted his phone calls and mentored him. I should have helped him know the rules...

What responsibility does an ADULT have when taking a job? Any?

The umpire is just a nice young man trying to learn the game...give me a break. Some of the umpires here are so full of themselves it is nauseating.

I used to think a "rat" meant a badly behaving, obnoxious coach. I now see the real definition in many of the heads here. A rat is someone that does see his #1 job to make lousy umpires look good. If he does not teach the umpires how to umpire, he is a rat. If an umpire calls his runner safe and he does not get that runner out, he is a rat. What a load of crap.

Joe
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My point is that he was not just inexperienced. He was a lazy, sleazy, cheese eating rat.

It is so ridiculous how much crap a coach gets for one little sarcastic remark.

But, over the course of the weekend, Cell Phone McGhee took HUNDREDS of dollars for a job that he did not try to do well.

And again, he was not a kid, he was an adult.

But, yeah yeah....I should have interrupted his phone calls and mentored him. I should have helped him know the rules...

What responsibility does an ADULT have when taking a job? Any?

The umpire is just a nice young man trying to learn the game...give me a break. Some of the umpires here are so full of themselves it is nauseating.

I used to think a "rat" meant a badly behaving, obnoxious coach. I now see the real definition in many of the heads here. A rat is someone that does see his #1 job to make lousy umpires look good. If he does not teach the umpires how to umpire, he is a rat. If an umpire calls his runner safe and he does not get that runner out, he is a rat. What a load of crap.

Joe
That post must've taken a lot of energy. Better go eat some cheese, rat.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That post must've taken a lot of energy. Better go eat some cheese, rat.
Thank you, Einstein.

Enjoy being on the side of the lazy turd-Cell Phone McGhee who couldn't care less whether he did a good job.

I prefer to use my brain.

I am a rat in your definition-a coach who does not try to make lousy umpires look good.

In my fifteen+ years of umpiring I do not recall anyone telling me it was my job to make lousy coaches look good-whether they were new or not.

Last edited by jwwashburn; Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 12:11pm.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I only have 1 thing about this thread. And, it relates to this thread.
How should I have handled this

All I can say is this. Don't complain about the umpire's you get in a game if you are going to contribute to their ignorance. That is all I will say about this.

You are being a coach and I understand that. I don't think I would have done that since I do know the rules. But, you chose to so be it. Just remember, you are contributing to your own headaches when you continue to have incompetent umpires. Just don't be 2 faced about the issue.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

GA, after a weekend with these guys(and they were ALL rejects from the bike assembly at Toys R US) I made ONE little flippant remark.

Do I regret the remark...only in the mildest sense of the word. Like I said before, I probably should not have said it.

What amazes me is the depth that some people here go to denigrate all coaches and excuse all umpires. It is insane.

Thanks for your comment.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

All of this over...9U baseball.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post

(I have been known to do some LL games at this level for free, but that's different. Besides, we scare those coaches and if they act up we make them go away.)
Yup, me too - "Look, boys and girls, Magic! Watch me make the nasty coach disappear!"
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Thank you, Einstein.

Enjoy being on the side of the lazy turd-Cell Phone McGhee who couldn't care less whether he did a good job.

I prefer to use my brain.

I am a rat in your definition-a coach who does not try to make lousy umpires look good.

In my fifteen+ years of umpiring I do not recall anyone telling me it was my job to make lousy coaches look good-whether they were new or not.
I am starting to wonder if you have any clue, myself. Maybe you're just a lousy coach who's a bit too fixated on the fact the guy had a cell phone on the field with him. And you've referred to him as "Cell Phone McGhee" so many times there's no doubt you're fixated on that.

I've seen college umpires work summer rec programs and take phones with them and make and take calls between innings. Frankly, life's too short to care about crap like that.

It's a 9U game. It's supply and demand. If you could get better for $37.50, you'd have them already. The choices are simple: Accept what you have, pay more, or entice better people to do the job. I'd do it for $50 as long as there were 2 games and it was less than 10 miles from my house (but I would have no tolerance of rats).
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I am not excusing or blaming anyone for anything. Umpires should know the rules or make a valiant effort to learn them. They should not listen to coaches ever about the rules. They talk to their partners for that if they need help.

As for coaches, they are not to blame for umpires' ignorance of the rules. Umpires take that blame. But, coaches should not be upset if they are contributing to the ignorance. That is all I am saying.

Also, is it necessary to try to belittle the umpires? They are not able to defend themselves. Especially, if they know nothing about being talked about. And, why do so many of the posters feel it necessary to refer to younger umpires as (insert any name you have called young umpires) just b/c they didn't like their attitude. Others are guilty of this as well.