The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:44pm
Administrator

Game fees.

MTD, Jr., and I belong to two umpires associations in the Toledo area.

One association is an OhioHSAA Certified Local Officials Association (LOA), which conducts required rules interpretations/mechanics meetings; this association also assigns H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball umpires as well as travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and summer fastpitch softball games and tournaments.

The other association is not associated with the OhioHSAA and assigns, travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and summer fastpitch softball games, as well as the house leagues for a area city's recreational department. The assigner for this association sent the following email to the membership regarding game fees:

"There were 2 instances last night where weather had an effect on the umpire's pay. I will explain the guidelines to you, and then explain how these umpires should have been paid.

When weather becomes the issue of whether a game gets played or completed, here are the guidelines:

1. If the game does not get started, the umpires receive nothing.

2. If the game gets started, even if it is only one pitch, the umpires get 1/2 fee. Once the game becomes official, the umpires are entitled to the other half of the fee.

So in last night's games, the one game at 8:00 pm never got started, so the umpires should not have gotten any fees. In the other game at 8:00 pm, 5 pitches were thrown when the game was stopped. The umpire on that game got half of his fee.

One other thing - if you receive the full fee before the game, and you don't start or don't finish, find the coach and give the appropriate money back. It just gives you credibility as an umpire and an honest person in general. Too many coaches tell me that some umpires are only in it for the money. While we all like the extra cash, you have a unique skill, and most of us do this because we like it. Always make that the main reason you umpire - because you like it. If the main reason you do it is because of the money, you are probably not that good of an umpire! Keep that in mind.

I will explain this to all of our travel coaches as well, so they have an understanding. The same goes for rec games as well - no pitch, no money. One pitch, 1/2 fee. Official game, full fee."

These game fee rules are pure unalderated horse manure. I can live with getting a 1/2 game fee if the game is canceled before we can start the game, but once the game starts, it is a full game fee or no umpires.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
These game fee rules are pure unalderated horse manure.
That about sums it up perfectly. I wouldn't work for any group with a policy like that.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Mark,

Quote:
You are very polite.

I was wondering how much of a "bonus" you get when the game goes extra innings??

In my association, if the game is not cancelled by 90 minutes prior to scheduled start time, umpires receive a full game fee.

JM
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree as well. That's ridiculous!

-Josh
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post

I was wondering how much of a "bonus" you get when the game goes extra innings??
Probably about as much as you give back for a game stopped via run rule.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
MTD, Jr., and I belong to two umpires associations in the Toledo area.

When weather becomes the issue of whether a game gets played or completed, here are the guidelines:

1. If the game does not get started, the umpires receive nothing.

2. If the game gets started, even if it is only one pitch, the umpires get 1/2 fee. Once the game becomes official, the umpires are entitled to the other half of the fee.

These game fee rules are pure unalderated horse manure. I can live with getting a 1/2 game fee if the game is canceled before we can start the game, but once the game starts, it is a full game fee or no umpires.

MTD, Sr.
Mark I am with you

One thing this 'clown" forgot to include in his statement when he talks about money.

Umpiring is a BUSINESS. just like any other. Give the above like Fee structure to any contract worker you have dealt with and see what happens. Unless he/she is a friend of yours they will tell you thanks but no thanks.

In or association we get paid 1/2 FEE if we arrive at game site and the game gets kicked before we take the field. However, once we take the field FULL game FEE. We do not even need a pitch because suppose someone gets hurt on that first pitch when the field conditions were unplayable.

One other thing in our assoictaion. If it's a nice sunny day but one team does not have enough players - we get FULL game fee because it's not our fault the team did not have a full compliment of players.

I would not work for this association.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Whenever a league or association drafts its policies, they should have someone in the room who's in touch with umpiring.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 05:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Locally, I've had games where I've driven to the field, checked in with game management (usually the home coach or AD) and the sky opened up before I could even get dressed. Full fee.

The rules should be quite clear and then the umpires can decide whether to work that league/conference. If I drive an hour and then get to drive home, I'd better receive something for my time and trouble. They could've (in many cases) made a decision earlier.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Once I arrive at the field, I get a full game fee. It doesn't matter if the game is played or not nor does it matter how much of the game is played. Both umpires are paid in full per our association.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I made $115 for a 1:35 HS game today. Gotta love the state playoffs and 40¢/mile roundtrip travel money.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Games fees in MS

If I take time out of my day to drive to a field to do a game,I'm getting paid, regardless if we throw a pitch or not.My time is just as valuable as everyone else involved..No pitch full game fee.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

I still haven't been paid (And probably won't) for a game the first week of May. It was supposed to be two games for a tournament at Team B's field, but Team A was actually the host of the tournament. My partner and I get there about 45 minutes or so before the scheduled start....no one at the field at all. It was a Saturday morning. We call the assigner's answering machine (He leaves cancellations on there), and it had been updated on Friday afternoon, so nothing about Saturday. We finally get ahold of an A.D. from another school that was in the tournament and he tells us the games were all washed on Friday. (It had not rained since Thursday night)

I emailed the A.D.s from both Team A and B. B's A.D. told me that even though they were having games at their field, A's A.D. was in charge of paying umpires. I got no reply from A's A.D. and the assignor tells me that he doubts I'll get paid because "They'll say they called the cancellation in". (Which even if they did, it never made it on the answering machine)

Very frustrating. I should be getting mileage and one game fee because they didn't call us when the games were washed.

Last edited by zm1283; Tue Jun 09, 2009 at 10:07pm.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTick48 View Post
If I take time out of my day to drive to a field to do a game,I'm getting paid, regardless if we throw a pitch or not.My time is just as valuable as everyone else involved..No pitch full game fee.
Ditto.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
...the assignor tells me that he doubts I'll get paid because "They'll say they called the cancellation in". (Which even if they did, it never made it on the answering machine).
Methinks your assignor owes you some cash...
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Methinks your assignor owes you some cash...
Methinks you're right, but I don't want to push it too far in fear of pissing him off and not getting games.