Thread: Game fees.
View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:44pm
Administrator

Game fees.

MTD, Jr., and I belong to two umpires associations in the Toledo area.

One association is an OhioHSAA Certified Local Officials Association (LOA), which conducts required rules interpretations/mechanics meetings; this association also assigns H.S. baseball and fastpitch softball umpires as well as travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and summer fastpitch softball games and tournaments.

The other association is not associated with the OhioHSAA and assigns, travel league baseball and fastpitch softball and summer fastpitch softball games, as well as the house leagues for a area city's recreational department. The assigner for this association sent the following email to the membership regarding game fees:

"There were 2 instances last night where weather had an effect on the umpire's pay. I will explain the guidelines to you, and then explain how these umpires should have been paid.

When weather becomes the issue of whether a game gets played or completed, here are the guidelines:

1. If the game does not get started, the umpires receive nothing.

2. If the game gets started, even if it is only one pitch, the umpires get 1/2 fee. Once the game becomes official, the umpires are entitled to the other half of the fee.

So in last night's games, the one game at 8:00 pm never got started, so the umpires should not have gotten any fees. In the other game at 8:00 pm, 5 pitches were thrown when the game was stopped. The umpire on that game got half of his fee.

One other thing - if you receive the full fee before the game, and you don't start or don't finish, find the coach and give the appropriate money back. It just gives you credibility as an umpire and an honest person in general. Too many coaches tell me that some umpires are only in it for the money. While we all like the extra cash, you have a unique skill, and most of us do this because we like it. Always make that the main reason you umpire - because you like it. If the main reason you do it is because of the money, you are probably not that good of an umpire! Keep that in mind.

I will explain this to all of our travel coaches as well, so they have an understanding. The same goes for rec games as well - no pitch, no money. One pitch, 1/2 fee. Official game, full fee."

These game fee rules are pure unalderated horse manure. I can live with getting a 1/2 game fee if the game is canceled before we can start the game, but once the game starts, it is a full game fee or no umpires.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio