The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Pick off attempt goes out of play

FED Rules. Runner on 1st. RHP comes set. He then steps back off the pitcher's plate and throws to F3. The ball sails over F3's head and goes out of play. What do you award to R1?

I am currently debating this with another umpire.

I argue 1 base is awarded. My counterpart argues 2. The strict reading of rule 8.3.3d does allow for interpretation.

Rule 8.3.3d: "Each runner is awarded one base if a pitch or any throw from the pitcher from his pitching position on his plate goes into a stand or bench...."

My counterpart states that if the pitcher throws directly from the plate, one base is awarded, but by stepping backward the pitcher becomes a fielder and therefore 2 bases must be awarded. I disagree completely and believe that the key to the rule is "from the pitching position." His interpretation is "from the pitcher's plate."

Please Clarify. I appreciate it.

Matt
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Pick-off attempt

Once the pitcher disengages, he/she is no longer a pitcher. The pitcher has now become a fielder. Go from there.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Listen

to your friend.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinmatt View Post
FED Rules. Runner on 1st. RHP comes set. He then steps back off the pitcher's plate and throws to F3. The ball sails over F3's head and goes out of play. What do you award to R1?

I am currently debating this with another umpire.

I argue 1 base is awarded. My counterpart argues 2. The strict reading of rule 8.3.3d does allow for interpretation.

Rule 8.3.3d: "Each runner is awarded one base if a pitch or any throw from the pitcher from his pitching position on his plate goes into a stand or bench...."

My counterpart states that if the pitcher throws directly from the plate, one base is awarded, but by stepping backward the pitcher becomes a fielder and therefore 2 bases must be awarded. I disagree completely and believe that the key to the rule is "from the pitching position." His interpretation is "from the pitcher's plate."

Please Clarify. I appreciate it.

Matt
The 1B award listed in 8-3-3D is for a pitch pick-off attempt made while engaged. nopachunts is right. Once disengaged his a fielder and his throw are treated as such.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

travlinmatt,

Your counterpart is absolutely correct.

"one from the rubber, two from the field"

JM
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
travlinmatt,

JM
three to get ready, and four to go!

Oh, never mind.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

2 base award matt!
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sigh!

Try to remember that F1 can either throw from the rubber (he is a pitcher) or step off (he becomes a fielder). Now remember this and memorize the following:
1 from the rubber
2 from the field
Now go apologize to your partner for not knowing rules and arguing with he who does! Buy him a beer, also.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
travlinmatt,

JM

And, just to further confuse Matt, a jump turn and a jab step are also both one base awards (if the ball is thrown out of play), even though F1 isn't touching the rubber at the time of the throw.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And, just to further confuse Matt, a jump turn and a jab step are also both one base awards (if the ball is thrown out of play), even though F1 isn't touching the rubber at the time of the throw.
As you know, Bob, this is a bit of a red herring: it all depends on what you mean by "time of the throw." These moves begin with F1 in contact and end with a throw (or legal feint, I suppose -- LHP doing the move to 3B may feint) to a base.

When addressing coaches and small children, I prefer to keep it simple: did he step off first or not? 2 bases or 1, accordingly.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
As you know, Bob, this is a bit of a red herring: it all depends on what you mean by "time of the throw." These moves begin with F1 in contact and end with a throw (or legal feint, I suppose -- LHP doing the move to 3B may feint) to a base.

When addressing coaches and small children, I prefer to keep it simple: did he step off first or not? 2 bases or 1, accordingly.
Agreed, but way too many coaches, players, fans, and even umpires, don't understand the distinction.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

This is exactly the reason for my post. I greatly appreciate this distinction. A snap throw to first by a RHP could create a situation where the pitcher's foot breaks contact with the plate prior to releasing the ball. I appreciate that you have stated that this situation does in fact result in one base being awarded. I guess the real question should have been to distinguish between a quick move and a deliberate step back then throw. Your post makes this the most clear of any. Thanks.

Matt
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 09:15am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlinmatt View Post
Bob,

This is exactly the reason for my post. I greatly appreciate this distinction. A snap throw to first by a RHP could create a situation where the pitcher's foot breaks contact with the plate prior to releasing the ball. I appreciate that you have stated that this situation does in fact result in one base being awarded. I guess the real question should have been to distinguish between a quick move and a deliberate step back then throw. Your post makes this the most clear of any. Thanks.

Matt
Matt, you might be overthinking this a bit. If the pitcher steps back off of the rubber he is now a fielder. To keep it simple for the purposes of this discussion, most of the other legal moves are from the rubber. Other posts above define some of the specific differences for the 1 base or the 2 base award.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had a pitcher in the windup position step off legally and then bring his hands up over his head as if he was pitching -- in order to abruptly stop and throw to third to nail R3.

After I balk in the run, I hear this "he's just a fielder, he's just a fielder" nonsense. Of course, they forgot the existence of 8.05(g).
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:33pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I had a pitcher in the windup position step off legally and then bring his hands up over his head as if he was pitching -- in order to abruptly stop and throw to third to nail R3.

After I balk in the run, I hear this "he's just a fielder, he's just a fielder" nonsense. Of course, they forgot the existence of 8.05(g).
For those that don't know and are to lazy to look it up themselves...

8.05 It is a balk when there are runners on and the pitcher...
(g) makes any move that is normally associated with his pitching motion when not in contact with the rubber

Last edited by w_sohl; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 11:33pm. Reason: cosmetic