The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can the Ball Change Possession during a Dead Ball?

I imagine this will be an easy question. It kind of goes back to the hidden ball trick.

I know that the hidden ball trick can not work after a dead ball. However, I was also pretty sure that it was an infraction for the ball to change possession from the pitcher to another fielder under time-out or dead ball. But, after scanning through my NFHS playbook, I don't see anything regarding that and I haven't found anything online. Now, I'm not sure where I picked that up. I was pretty sure that I had read that in baseball rules at some point.

So, is there any rule that says that the ball can not change possession or be transferred to a different defensive player under time-out?
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Time is out on a foul ball. If F3 picks it up, can he throw it back to the pitcher? Yes? Hmmmmmmmmm.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Question Clarification & a possible answer

I am not really sure what you mean by a change of possession. In baseball, unlike every other sport, ONLY the defense can have possession of the ball. I think what you are referring to is the pitcher throwing the ball to another play while the ball is dead. He can do this if he wants to, but the ball can be live again (MMMWAHAAAA!) until it is secured by the pitcher while he is engaging the rubber.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I just mean can the ball be transferred to a different defensive player under time-out? Ump153 makes a good point, and I'm not seeing anything, now, that would indicate that this kind of transfer CAN'T occur. I was just SURE that I had read somewhere that it wasn't allowed. So, I thought I'd at least ask the question, even if it was stupid, just to see if I could figure out where it came from.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

If the ball is dead (or better phrased, we have "Time"), then simply have the fielder get the ball back to the pitcher...as previously stated, nothing can happen until the batter is in the batter's box, the pitcher has engaged the rubber, and PU says "Play."
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 02:11am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishopcolle View Post
If the ball is dead (or better phrased, we have "Time"), then simply have the fielder get the ball back to the pitcher...as previously stated, nothing can happen until the batter is in the batter's box, the pitcher has engaged the rubber, and PU says "Play."
And the catcher is in his box.......
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post
Yeah, I just mean can the ball be transferred to a different defensive player under time-out? Ump153 makes a good point, and I'm not seeing anything, now, that would indicate that this kind of transfer CAN'T occur. I was just SURE that I had read somewhere that it wasn't allowed. So, I thought I'd at least ask the question, even if it was stupid, just to see if I could figure out where it came from.
Nope, no such rule. This isn't even one of the top 40 baseball rules myths.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster View Post
Please do us all a favor? If you ever find the person that told you this, give him a slap in the back of the head and keep slapping him until he understands that this is not a rule!
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

which way is the possession arrow pointing?
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

So its kind of like "kissing your sister."

There the fielder stands with a baseball in their hand or glove and it does'nt mean anything because, the ball is not made live until you transfer possesion back to the pitcher so we can get on with the game.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 02:51pm
Stop staring at me swan.

correct...once you call time, we don't resume play until the pitcher has the ball and engages the rubber, if he engages w/o the ball, we have a balk.

The Evans Diamond Challenge DVD has the hidden ball trick example in the DVD...it's a good example too.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I am not sure on the balk call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
correct...once you call time, we don't resume play until the pitcher has the ball and engages the rubber, if he engages w/o the ball, we have a balk.
There has been a discussion brewing on another forum regarding this call. The consensus seems to be that this is a no-play, not a balk. Specifically, UIC cannot legally place the ball back in play until the pitcher has possession and engages. And with out the ball being in play no balk call can be made. No one has an advantage or a dis-advantage (no out made, no steal made). What say you?
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

johnny,

C'mon. How do you have a balk if the ball is not in play? (Answer: you don't!)

If he engages the rubber without the ball while the ball is dead all you've got is a dead ball - still.

JM
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

johnnyg08:

Please refer to UmpJM and Ump Rube as they are correct.

It is nuttin' honey.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 03:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

There can only be a change of possession during a live ball and the defense must have "clean hands" prior to the CoP. If there is a foul by team A prior to the CoP and a foul by team B after, team B may decline the penalty and keep the ball.