The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Question

Mechanics maybe?

Does a substitute have to report to the table during a Time-out (full or 30 )Many coaches signal with their fingers 1 ,2 or 3 subs. Must the official say all substitute to the table or it is ok to allow this format to continue? Help
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Smile subs

Yes, all subs must be reported by the 10 second warning signal during the time out. If it is a game where the numbers of the players are not being kept, you can get away with them not reporting, but that can turn into a bad habit. I had a VERY instructional league where coahes were just parents who will still be learning the rules 20 seasons from now, one or two players would report and then at the last second one more player would come sprinting off the bench as I beckoned them in. Pretty soon it got to a point where we had a dead ball, my partner hands the ball to the white team and a blue player comes wandering onto the court. I stopped play and walked towards her saying, "no, you are supposed to check in at the table first, you have to go back". The coach was a little upset or confused as he thought it was ok to just holler over to the scorekeeper "hey I got a sub next dead ball". The scorekeeper would say ok. but most of the time the players would be at the table anyway and the scorekeeper would remember to buzz for them. Maybe the players are watching too much hockey.
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Yes,

at least here in the U.S. Otherwise the scorekeepers wouldn't know who was in the game. For time outs, there are also rules regarding how far before the end of the time out the subs must report (i.e. no later than the 45-second mark of a full time out).
Old Tue Oct 02, 2001, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PP
Mechanics maybe?

Does a substitute have to report to the table during a Time-out (full or 30 )Many coaches signal with their fingers 1 ,2 or 3 subs. Must the official say all substitute to the table or it is ok to allow this format to continue? Help

By rule, the substitutes must report, except at halftime, and give their number to the scorer. You use NCAA rules in Canada, right? The reference is 3-4. (The FED rule is the same, but the reference might be different).

If this is a "less formal" league (generally called "rec league" here), then what the coach is doing might be accepted practice. If many coaches do it, and no one complains, I'd let it go.