The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   DH Substitution (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53277-dh-substitution.html)

Fritz Mon May 18, 2009 02:43pm

DH Substitution

Just wanted to check and see if I kicked this one. FED rules, DH batting in the 4 slot for the pitcher. In the 5th inning, coach wants to bring the DH in to pitch and send the pitcher to play right field (original F9 to come out of the game).

Sorry coach, can't do that because they are both locked into the 4 slot in the order and your right fielder is batting 7th. Your pitcher can't move down to the 7 hole.

So instead he wants to make the old pitcher the DH and the old DH the pitcher.

Sorry coach, when the DH comes in to the field, you no longer have a DH, your old pitcher would be out of the game.

Although he agreed with my ruling on his first option, he continued to object with my ruling on the second option. He did pull the pitcher and let the original DH pitch and bat in the 4 hole, left F9 in as well. But he continued to complain that I was wrong on the DH and fielder not being able to swap places.

Pretty sure I still got this right but always like feedback from the forum to confirm or correct.

jdmara Mon May 18, 2009 02:47pm

You got it correct (in the world of FED)

-Josh

Huskerblue Mon May 18, 2009 02:55pm

I don't think you got that one right Fritz. The DH is locked into the 4th spot in the order because that is where he has been batting all game, but the Pitcher is not if he was being DH'd for. If coach wants the DH to come in and pitch, he will stay at the 4th slot and then the former pitcher will bat in the #7 slot for the former right fielder who has left the game.

UmpJM Mon May 18, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskerblue (Post 602939)
I don't think you got that one right Fritz. The DH is locked into the 4th spot in the order because that is where he has been batting all game, but the Pitcher is not if he was being DH'd for. If coach wants the DH to come in and pitch, he will stay at the 4th slot and then the former pitcher will bat in the #7 slot for the former right fielder who has left the game.

Huskerblue,

That is absolutely incorrect for FED rules.

As jdmara said, Fritz was correct in his ruling.

From FED 3-1-4

Quote:

...A designated hitter and the player for whom he is batting are locked into the batting order. No multiple substitutions may be made that will alter the batting order. ...
JM

Robert E. Harrison Mon May 18, 2009 03:10pm

How much Fed rules have you worked?

Husker, you are correct for OBR and college, but Fed is Different. The old double switch does not work in this case. As was stated previously, once the DH enters on defense, the DH is terminated in Fed.

Huskerblue Mon May 18, 2009 03:23pm

I stand corrected.

Fritz Tue May 19, 2009 01:27pm

Good point Robert, I wasn't even thinking of OBR since this was a FED game. But in my OP, if we are under OBR, the DH in the 4 hole comes into pitch and stays batting in the 4 hole. DH tag is no longer available. F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?

However, under all codes, when DH comes in on defense for the person he is batting for, that person cannot then go to the bench and become the DH, correct?

SethPDX Tue May 19, 2009 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 603200)
Good point Robert, I wasn't even thinking of OBR since this was a FED game. But in my OP, if we are under OBR, the DH in the 4 hole comes into pitch and stays batting in the 4 hole. DH tag is no longer available. F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?

However, under all codes, when DH comes in on defense for the person he is batting for, that person cannot then go to the bench and become the DH, correct?

Right. Once the DH plays defense his team loses the DH role.

mbyron Wed May 20, 2009 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 603200)
But in my OP, if we are under OBR, ... F1 goes to right to replace F9 and now bats in the 7 hole. This is all legal correct?

Yes, provided the player who was F9 was batting in the 7 spot.