The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
The official interpretation I received from JE is this. When a batter has one foot on the ground completely out of the box, he is considered out of the box. Being contacted by a fair batted ball results in an out. Anything else, he is considered in the box and the result is a foul ball.

There's a FED case play to this exact effect.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

This would be an obvious example of when FED is much clearer than is OBR.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
But I would not be splitting hairs if I do point out that those words do matter if one were to look up the exact definition of a fair or foul batted ball.

The correct ruling regards a batted ball redirecting from the ground into the B/R or B/R's bat. It is ruled a foul ball just prior to hitting the B/R outside of the batter's box in these situations. This is the case of the swinging shot directly into the B/R's lower left leg while over fair territory.

The B/R is ruled out much more often for running into a fair "bunted" ball bounding in front of the plate. The batter's box is not a refuge and He does not have the right to a direct path to the nearest base through the bounding baseball. The runner must avoid contact with the batted ball. The same ruling would apply to any runner contacting a baseball while over fair territory.
I'm not disputing the definition of fair or foul ball. I just pointed out the official interpretation of it being a foul ball when it hits the batter in that portion of the batter's box that is in fair territory (13% of the box is).
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's a FED case play to this exact effect.
Excellent.

Bob,

Could you please give me the case number? I have one duck that wants to get out of line.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 View Post
Excellent.

Bob,

Could you please give me the case number? I have one duck that wants to get out of line.

I don't have the books handy, so I'll respond under the spirit of "teach a man to fish...". The batter has hit the ball, so he's a BR. The "A BR is out when ..." rule is 8-4-1. So, I'd look at cases 8.4.1
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:05am
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm going to read until FED Rule 5,7,8 for FED...somebody else take OBR...

The Dead Ball portion of FED doesn't tell us a whole lot.

FED p. 46, 7-3-ART 2 states that a batter shall not hit the ball fair or foul while either foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate.

Case 7.3.2 Sitch A, Case 7.3.2 Sitch C,

Last edited by johnnyg08; Sun May 17, 2009 at 09:22am.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I'm going to read until FED Rule 5,7,8 for FED...somebody else take OBR...

The Dead Ball portion of FED doesn't tell us a whole lot.

FED p. 46, 7-3-ART 2 states that a batter shall not hit the ball fair or foul while either foot is touching the ground completely outside the lines of the batter's box or touching home plate.

Case 7.3.2 Sitch A, Case 7.3.2 Sitch C,

That's for batting the ball while out of the box. The OP is for being hit by the batted ball. Completely different.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:39am
Stop staring at me swan.

Bob, you're right. I couldn't find a case play that describes the OP play. I'll keep playing though.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, you're right. I couldn't find a case play that describes the OP play. I'll keep playing though.
Apparently, "teach a man to fish ..." means baiting the hook, casting the line, reeling in the fish, gutting it, filleting it and cooking it. Lah me.
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 09:41am
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't think I could look the coach in the eye w/ a straight face and tell him that "well, you know, 13% of the batter's box is in fair territory...therefore..."
Old Sun May 17, 2009, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think I could look the coach in the eye w/ a straight face and tell him that "well, you know, 13% of the batter's box is in fair territory...therefore..."
Neither could I. I mentioned that more so as a slightly humorous take on the whole batter's box situation. Plus, Jaksa himself explained that in class at umpire school. (You had to be there. Jaksa was kind of a brainiac/nerdy guy, but in a good sense.)
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

my understanding of this rule is this:

IF the ball never touches the batter: Then the ball can be ruled fair if it stops in the upper corners of the batter's box that lies in fair territory.

IF the ball touches the batter:

Case 1: Batter is not COMPLETELY outside of his batter's box, then it is a dead ball and an automatic strike except for the fact that the automatic strike CANNOT be Strike 3.

Case 2: Batter is completely outside of his batter's box, then he's out.

And no, the other batter's box does not count. Batter is only protected while inside the box that he's using.
Old Sun May 24, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
Case 1: Batter is not COMPLETELY outside of his batter's box, then it is a dead ball and an automatic strike except for the fact that the automatic strike CANNOT be Strike 3.
Wouldn't that be the same as a foul ball?
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Wouldn't that be the same as a foul ball?
it is the same as a foul ball but it's not a foul ball. It's a subtlety that a veteran umpire pointed out to me because we're supposed to yell "Dead Ball" instead of "Foul Ball" b/c it's not technically a foul ball. It's a dead ball strike except that it cannot count as strike 3.
Old Mon May 25, 2009, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
it is the same as a foul ball but it's not a foul ball. It's a subtlety that a veteran umpire pointed out to me because we're supposed to yell "Dead Ball" instead of "Foul Ball" b/c it's not technically a foul ball. It's a dead ball strike except that it cannot count as strike 3.
I have to admit that distinction is too subtle for me. A foul ball is also "a dead ball strike except that it cannot count as strike 3." (assuming it's not a bunt, of course).