The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

out of the batters box

B1 bunts the ball down the first base line. as he starts off for first, the ball bounces straight up and hits the batter.

when is a player out of the batters box, so he could be called out instead of a foul ball ?

when one foot, completely outside the box, touches the ground ?!

regards
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

When a fair batted ball hits the batter in fair territory, we have a dead ball, batter's out, runners return to TOP base. However, if the ball hits him in the batter's box, even that small portion that is technically within fair territory (13% of the box is), it's generally called a foul ball.

Now, one must understand exactly what is meant by hits "him" in the batter's box. You focus on whether the part of the body that is hit by the ball is in fair territory when hit. If so, then it's interference and dead ball, etc. If the ball hits a part of his body that is in the box or in foul territory, then it's a foul ball.

Example: Batter bunts the ball, and as he is leaving the box (his right leg is planted on the ground outside the box in fair territory), the ball comes up and hits him in the left foot, which is still inside the box. This is a foul ball.

In short, pay attention to where the part of the body that was hit was situated when it was hit by the ball.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

ok, i think i got it.

thanks a lot !
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

The official interpretation I received from JE is this. When a batter has one foot on the ground completely out of the box, he is considered out of the box. Being contacted by a fair batted ball results in an out. Anything else, he is considered in the box and the result is a foul ball.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Which seems to conflict with the ruling from other sources. It also conflicts with the notion of where the ball is when it contacts a runner.

Stuff to ponder...

* Batter hits the ball into the dirt right in the batter's box. Ball comes up and hits him while he's still in the box but in the part of the box that's in fair territory. How many guys would call this a foul ball? An out?

* Batter hits the ball into the dirt in front of him. As he's running to leave the box, the ball bounces up and hits him while he's still in that part of the box that's in fair territory, but his right foot is out of the box. Who would call this foul? Who would call him out?

* Batter hits a ball that just dies in the dirt. It spins on the ground and is lying in the box in the part that's in fair territory. Batter's running to first but in so doing steps on the ball with his foot while his other foot is (a) also still in the box or (b) outside the box on the ground. Who would call this a foul ball in (a) or (b)? Who would call him out in (a) or (b)?

Decisions, decisions.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Classic soiled stick problem

Another classic and oft repeated question. And a chapter in the Excrement Covered Stick book.

I ain't buying some of the other analysis, regardless of the physics.

On this play, if ANY part of that batter is still in the batters box, then this is a FOUL BALL. Kill it, back to bat. Why try to play surveyer or need to triangulate.

Oh look a stick! This ends covered in DOO, this end is clean! What ever should I do?

And if you rule that the batter had completely LEFT the box and is then hit by batted ball in fair territory, you will kill this play, rule him out, and return other runners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bruno_ View Post
B1 bunts the ball down the first base line. as he starts off for first, the ball bounces straight up and hits the batter.

when is a player out of the batters box, so he could be called out instead of a foul ball ?

when one foot, completely outside the box, touches the ground ?!

regards
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran View Post

Oh look a stick! This ends covered in DOO, this end is clean! What ever should I do?
Thank you. Unless he is OBVIOUSLY way out of the box, call it foul and sell the crap out of it.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

No need to split frickin' hairs on a play like this.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran View Post
Another classic and oft repeated question. And a chapter in the Excrement Covered Stick book.

I ain't buying some of the other analysis, regardless of the physics.

On this play, if ANY part of that batter is still in the batters box, then this is a FOUL BALL. Kill it, back to bat. Why try to play surveyer or need to triangulate.

And if you rule that the batter had completely LEFT the box and is then hit by batted ball in fair territory, you will kill this play, rule him out, and return other runners.
Very funny post. And accurate!!! See, flowerboy, I doo have a sense of humor!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Who's splitting hairs? Your initial comment said call it based on where X part of his body is when it gets hit. That's incorrect and was pointed out by mike and dash.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Who's splitting hairs? Your initial comment said call it based on where X part of his body is when it gets hit. That's incorrect and was pointed out by mike and dash.
No it's not incorrect, and my comment about splitting hairs was referring to what the poster earlier had said, not the OP.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I understand avoiding the brown end of the stick. However, when it is obvious the batter is out of the box and is hit with a fair ball, I use Jim Evans' interpretation.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=UMP25;602527]No it's not incorrect,QUOTE]

I'm not arguing about it - yours are the only posts that say anything about where some given part of the body is when that part of the body gets hit. Nothing in the rule book says anything about that. It breaks down when a batter is no longer in the batter's box, period.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Except that explanation refers to when he hits an illegally batted ball and how to correctly interpret "out of the batter's box." For batter interference when he hits the ball fair and the ball hits him in fair territory, there's nothing said about being in or out of the box. In fact, let's take a look at the very succint wording of the rule:

6.05 - A batter is out when:

(g) His fair ball touches him before touching a fielder

Note that it says "his fair ball." When a batter hits a ball that contacts him in the batter's box, we, by official interpretation, rule it a foul ball. So how can this both be a foul ball and, according to what you say JE says, also be a fair ball/batter's out? It can't.

The word I received from official sources was as I explained earlier. If his fair batted ball hits him in the box, it's a foul ball; if it hits him outside the box, it's interference, dead, etc. When I double-checked on the in the box/out of the box explanation, I was told, "wherever that part of his body was when hit determines whether he is out or if it is a foul ball."
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Technically correct?

But I would not be splitting hairs if I do point out that those words do matter if one were to look up the exact definition of a fair or foul batted ball.

The correct ruling regards a batted ball redirecting from the ground into the B/R or B/R's bat. It is ruled a foul ball just prior to hitting the B/R outside of the batter's box in these situations. This is the case of the swinging shot directly into the B/R's lower left leg while over fair territory.

The B/R is ruled out much more often for running into a fair "bunted" ball bounding in front of the plate. The batter's box is not a refuge and He does not have the right to a direct path to the nearest base through the bounding baseball. The runner must avoid contact with the batted ball. The same ruling would apply to any runner contacting a baseball while over fair territory.

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 16, 2009 at 07:47pm.